PDA

View Full Version : Play That Fungi Music...

g00gle
08-16-2015, 18:29
So, wifey and I just knocked down a quick 8-mile jaunt through one of the local parks and I happened across a patch of mushrooms (at least I think that's what they are) that I don't recall seeing before. They're probably everywhere, but they just happened to catch my eye today because I don't recall seeing anything this bright in the woods around our area before. Maybe the color is a time of the year thing or maybe they've been planted by aliens to identify landing zones for the coming invasion. Whatever.

Does anyone recognize these?

I've seen a lot of mushrooms up here, but I just don't recall seeing any with such vivid color around here. I tossed down my daypack (is backpacking dying, lol?) next to them and a small water bottle to try for a relative scale and dimension in the pix. They are also much brighter in person than in the picture. I don't think the iPhone did a great job with the images.

scudder
08-16-2015, 18:53
The bottom of the cap is very important for mushroom ID. They resemble Jack o Lantern mushrooms at first glance. Jack o lanterns are bright orange, grow in close knit groups, and are NOT safe to eat. I suggest you get a good guidebook, and find a local expert

g00gle
08-16-2015, 23:37
Well, I got a few Peterson's guides somewhere. And there may be a local expert, but I believe we probably run in different circles. I just don't recall seeing that mushroom before. I'll take pictures of the underside if I'm over that way again soon.

I would take my guides out there and try to identify it myself, but to be honest plant identification beyond a dandelion is one of my weaknesses. I know at least four ways to start fires with nothing but pieces of wood and friction, but if I had to survive the wilderness based on plant identification it would be a really short vacation. :)

Feral Bill
08-17-2015, 00:02
Well, I got a few Peterson's guides somewhere. And there may be a local expert, but I believe we probably run in different circles. I just don't recall seeing that mushroom before. I'll take pictures of the underside if I'm over that way again soon.

I would take my guides out there and try to identify it myself, but to be honest plant identification beyond a dandelion is one of my weaknesses. I know at least four ways to start fires with nothing but pieces of wood and friction, but if I had to survive the wilderness based on plant identification it would be a really short vacation. :) Especially if you ate the wrong mushrooms.
Try http://www.inaturalist.org/ for help in identification.

scudder
08-17-2015, 00:03
one thing you could try is to google Jack o lantern mushroom and look at the pictures and read the descriptions on several mushroom sites vto see if they resemble what you saw, and if their typical habitat is similar to your area

g00gle
08-17-2015, 00:46
Well, chances are good that they are either Jack O'Lantern Mushroom or Golden Chanterelle. Both are prevalent here in Ohio, but the only way I can find so far to know one from the other is looking at the underside or snapping it open to see inside the stalk.

scudder
08-17-2015, 06:48
Just my opinion from looking at some photos, but I doubt that these are chanterelles. Those I have found have caps that are
less regular,more "wavy". And while they grow in patches , they don't bunch as tightly as those shown in your photos.