PDA

View Full Version : what do you use for a sleeping bag pad?

DavidNH
11-26-2005, 13:32
I have to confess that over the years I have accumulated them all. Ridge rest, z rest, thermorest full and 3/4. Well what hiker isn't a gear nut?

I am wondering what most AT hikers are using (especially you thru hikers).

For the record..I am NOT one who cuts off his tooth brush handle! practicality matters too!!

I am considering going with the ridge rest which is warm and very light though it is bulky. I also like the thermarest which is so comfortable but it is heavier. Then of course there is the z rest that folds up and folds down flat..its light and compact but doesnt really lie flat and is not quite as lite as the ridge rest and not nearly comfotable as the ridge rest and certainly not as comfy as the thermarest!

ugh choices choices!

DavidNH

Mouse
11-26-2005, 14:01
I started with a full length female-specific competitor to Therma-rest. It wore a hole in itself in southern Virginia. At Pearisburg I got a 3/4 length Ridgerest and found it awful, like sleeping on no padding at all. At Front Royal I switched to the new lightweight full length Therma Rest and it lasted the rest of the hike and beyond.

I'm totally sold on Therma Rests!

Mouse
11-26-2005, 14:03
P.S.

My Therma Rest even let me sleep on those "baseball bat" sleeping platforms with as much comfort as a flat surface. I did not notice the ridges at all! :clap

Nightwalker
11-26-2005, 14:46
I use a full-length ProLite 3 Thermarest. I think that it weighs 20 oz. That's 4 oz. less than a 3/4 Thermarest original.

It's also so warm and comfortable that I don't care about the extra few ounces. And I don't say that often...

SGT Rock
11-26-2005, 18:07
None of the above. I use 2 ware Evazote padscut into a mummy shape that are glued together to make a 1/2" thick and about 10oz for a 60"x28" to 18". Perfect for a hammock.

Skeemer
11-26-2005, 21:38
Anybody that sleeps in a tent and uses anything other than a Zrest is a pussy...unless he uses nothing.