PDA

View Full Version : This years reception of thr hikers at Abol Bridge ?

peakbagger
08-17-2015, 11:52
I posted this in the straight forward thread in hope that I could get straight info on the actual reception of distance hikers at Abol bridge prior to entering the park from one of this years thru hikers.

I plan to do two nights of trail magic consisting of hosting some random thru hikers at my "deluxe accommodations" in the park and would like to know where the BSP representative meets distance hikers at the bridge area and what the hikers are told when the list if full. I plan to hand three random hikers a copy of my reservations sheet for that night at Abol bridge and then let them hike into the park and eventually meet them at the spot for the evening. (yes I am being deliberately vague on where and when as the goal is for it to be real trail magic.

If someone can fill me in on how thruhikers arrange a shuttle out of the park with the AT Lodge I would appreciate it so that I can make the thruhikers that I host aware of it.

flemdawg1
08-17-2015, 21:27
There's a bulletin board that has a list for the hikers to sign in as they enter. Supposedly, after 15 the Birches is full. I hiked the 100MW and Katahdin last summer.

chiefduffy
08-18-2015, 06:54
The AT Lodge runs a shuttle out of the Park at approx 4PM every day starting September 1. They pick up at the Katadin Stream Ranger station. Hikers need to sign up in the morning for this free shuttle. Those not going to the Lodge will be charged $10/person, I believe.

peakbagger
08-18-2015, 08:14
Thanks Chief, that was the important part. If I can find the bulletin board at Abol Bridge I should be covered.

chiefduffy
08-18-2015, 13:06
Turn north on the gravel road just east of Abol Bridge Store, you will see the double white blaze about 1/8 mile up the hill on the left. Hike about 200 yds down the trail, you will see a kiosk, there is a sign up sheet there that all hikers are supposed to sign as they enter the Park, and also a registration for Birches thru-hiker campsite. The sign up for the shuttle is actually at Katahdin Stream Ranger Station.

DaveRowell
08-19-2015, 21:42
I was there a week ago. The rep for the park was scouting around to talk to thru hikers and answer any questions at the end of the day.. He was truly a nice friendly guy. The sign in sheet for the park is at the kiosk at the boundary for the park. First twelve sign in's can stay at the Birch's for 10$..

Mr. Clean
08-22-2015, 05:52
The Kiosk is about a 5-10 minute stroll from Abol Bridge.

peakbagger
08-22-2015, 07:18
Great thanks for the info from all.