PDA

View Full Version : Parking at NOC

theoilman
08-17-2015, 14:33
Is parking at NOC when doing a week long section to end at NOC OK?

I have read a number of different posts about people parking there.

BUT - the ATC website 'interactive map' does not show that there is parking at NOC

saltysack
08-17-2015, 14:42
No issue....tons of parking. Loads across the river under zip lines or closer by trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AO2134
08-17-2015, 14:50
Well actually. During the summer months, parking is a big issue. We went there this weekend and were basically told we could not park there. It was a zoo.

theoilman
08-17-2015, 15:18
I'll be there mid October, probably cold for rafting on the river then, so should be less people.

daddytwosticks
08-17-2015, 16:13
I've always parked up hill, not down by the main lot for rafters. It's up by the fancy restaurant. However, I've only been there for three days max, even in rafting season. No issues. :)

saltysack
08-17-2015, 17:37
Definitely a lot quieter after Labor Day...it's a ghost town during winter....I've also parked at telico gap without a problem...-10 miles south of NOC....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2NewKnees
08-17-2015, 20:26
Not a problem in mid October.

juniorace
08-18-2015, 18:49
I'll likely be leaving my car there for about four days in a few weeks. Should I check in with someone about it being there? Don't want to get it towed or anything...

daddytwosticks
08-19-2015, 07:29
I'll likely be leaving my car there for about four days in a few weeks. Should I check in with someone about it being there? Don't want to get it towed or anything...

I would. Get his/her name and title too. Remember to let them know you intend on taking advantage of their services when you arrive back at your car. Great place to end a hike. Showers, good food, and beer. :)

full conditions
08-19-2015, 09:49
Even when its really busy, they've always managed to find a spot for me up past Relia's Garden Restaurant although now they charge a couple of bucks for the privilege. I suppose that during these final summer weekends its just too busy even to fit just a few hikers in. Unfortunately, there is no "public land" trailhead parking in the Nantahala Gorge but there is at both Telico Gap and Stechoa Gap and you might just arrange to hike from those points down to NOC and rig your shuttle accordingly.

juniorace
08-19-2015, 11:45
I reached out to the NOC this morning and this was their response:

"There's no fee for parking at NOC; we welcome hikers, and we're glad you'll be on the trail! Just a few things to mention though: 1) We'd appreciate if you checked in with the Stonehouse (the first building youčll see when you drive across the bridge over the Nantahala) and asked for a parking pass. They'll give you one, and they'll ask that you park in an out-of-the-way location so you're not taking a premium spot from other guests while you're on the trail. (Especially if you'll be hiking over our guest appreciation festival weekend in late September.) 2) NOC is a pretty safe place to leave a car because we're busy, and we monitor our property daily. However, we can't guarantee the safety of your car while it's here. Wečre an open campus (intentionally), and we don't always know who's on property or what everyone is doing while they're here. So, we can't accept responsibility for your vehicle, though I think it's much safer than your average trailhead.

Hope this answers your questions. Let me know if I can be of further assistance!"