PDA

View Full Version : Ammonoosuc Jewel trail loop 2015

Kaptainkriz
08-17-2015, 17:00
I'm in the two week window for doing a Mount Washington multi-day hike. Plan is to ascend the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail, spend some time in the Mount Monroe and Lakes of the Clouds area, overnight in the hut, and then summit Mount Washington the next day. Return via Jewel Trail or back down Ammo, weather dependent.

Anything unusual on the trail going on that I should be aware of? :cool:

Slo-go'en
08-17-2015, 21:01
If that 2 week window starts today, I'd wait a week. Forecast is for hot, humid and hazy with good chance of afternoon thunder showers for the rest of the week. Hopefully a cold front will push that away by the weekend.

You'd best call and make reservations at Lakes ASAP for next week and see what days they have openings. You may not have a big choice of which days. This is still the busy season with many thru hikers showing up and the end of summer crowd, so accommodations are likely to be tight.

Kaptainkriz
08-17-2015, 21:15
Ooo, what I meant to say is we leave in two weeks...and glad we're not up there now. Sounds like unfavorable weather.
We've got Lakes booked and glad we did that early. Hoping mother nature will cooperate.

If that 2 week window starts today, I'd wait a week. Forecast is for hot, humid and hazy with good chance of afternoon thunder showers for the rest of the week. Hopefully a cold front will push that away by the weekend.

You'd best call and make reservations at Lakes ASAP for next week and see what days they have openings. You may not have a big choice of which days. This is still the busy season with many thru hikers showing up and the end of summer crowd, so accommodations are likely to be tight.

Driver8
08-18-2015, 12:40
The Jewell is better for descent than the Ammo. The latter is very steep for the mile below the hut. Lots of nice waterfalls, so hope for a good rain the day before you go and a nice cold front blowing in the night before. The Gulfside/Jewell combo makes for a nice, steady descent which seldom departs from its average 19% grade. Beautiful above tree-line, especially. If you have the time and the legs for it, you might consider, having summited W, a trip around its cone via Tuckerman>Lion Head>Alpine Garden>Nelson Crag, then cutting across at maybe 5900' to catch Gulfside and then down. Lots of opportunity for views and adventure on the big mountain. A side trip looping around Monroe would also be rewarding.

Kaptainkriz
08-18-2015, 17:59
@Driver8 Thanks, we had not considered a garden hike around the cone. We have the time for it. I guess we'll see if we have the legs for it. I'll add that loop to the plan. :)

Kaptainkriz
09-04-2015, 10:21
Beautiful three day clear window this week. Hiked up to Lakes of the Clouds via the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail Tuesday. Experienced "Hut Life" overnight. The water seemed settled out when we were there...it tasted great. Set out for Mount Washington summit on Wednesday via Crawford and then descended back to the hut via Tuckerman and Tuckerman Crossover. The Tuckerman decent was far more difficult than I anticipated, so we moved slowly. :). We decended off the mountain from the hut on Thursday via Crawford, Westside, Gulfside, and Jewel trails. The last day was too long for an out of shape couple, but we pressed and made it down safely before dark. Will post other photos and impressions in my journal section. Took over 500 photos and vids. Was a ton of fun and totally worth the effort!

Kaptainkriz
09-06-2015, 13:58
This sums up the trip well:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31902&d=1441560536

Kaptainkriz
09-06-2015, 15:50
Seem to have gooned up my photo embed...still learning this interface and inability to edit. :)

This sums up the trip well:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31902&d=1441560536

Kaptainkriz
09-13-2015, 23:08
:D Finally got a good video put together of the 1st couple days of our hike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPElzWdMuzk

Driver8
09-14-2015, 01:01
Nice stuff, Kk. Hadn't checked back on this thread in a bit, glad I did. Your video gave me fond remembrances of my two times hiking the Ammo Trail, which is one of my all-time faves if not #1. Glad y'all had a good time! :)

Kaptainkriz
09-20-2015, 18:52
@Driver8, thanks! :)
Here is day 3 video of the descent and the Cog passing by:

http://youtu.be/x3kaI4g9J-Y

peakbagger
09-21-2015, 07:45
32 degrees in Gorham NH at the base of Mt Washington this AM

Kaptainkriz
09-21-2015, 17:48
Oo, chilly. :)