PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible or appropriate to shelter at Albert Mt firetower?

juniorace
08-17-2015, 21:02
Just as the thread title specifies. I know people have stayed the night in the firetower, just wondering if this is permissible/legal?

ChrisJackson
08-17-2015, 21:04
It was locked a month ago...(I was told. So I didn't go up to check). But from below, it looked closed.

Slo-go'en
08-17-2015, 21:10
I can't comment on the legality, but I sure wouldn't want to be camped up there when a sudden thunder storm popped up out of no where.

coach lou
08-17-2015, 23:04
I can't comment on the legality, but I sure wouldn't want to be camped up there when a sudden thunder storm popped up out of no where.

I spent an awesome nite in Smarts Mtn. tower!

MuddyWaters
08-18-2015, 00:16
Locked last time i was there as well. I think its always locked nowdays.

SteelCut
08-18-2015, 04:49
Locked last time i was there as well. I think its always locked nowdays.

I was there two weeks ago and it was locked.

daddytwosticks
08-18-2015, 07:17
I know people sleep out on top of Tellico Bald fire tower further up the trail. It does not have a structure on top, just an open deck with flimsy railings. Stargazing must be amazing on the right night. I don't know if sleeping on top of any tower is "legal" or not. :)

Gambit McCrae
08-18-2015, 08:29
I would love to stay in Mt Cammererererrr. Lookout tower.

illabelle
08-18-2015, 09:06
I would love to stay in Mt Cammererererrr. Lookout tower.

We finally visited that tower a few weeks ago. The day had been rainy, and when we started out at the trailhead that afternoon, it was still very foggy - so I didn't take my camera. When we got up to the tower a while later, the sun was lower and shining brightly through layers of clouds that had lifted up off the peaks. Wonderful views all around, but no camera. :( It would be a lovely place to watch the sun set.

Loved your spelling, by the way!

Gambit McCrae
08-18-2015, 10:35
We finally visited that tower a few weeks ago. The day had been rainy, and when we started out at the trailhead that afternoon, it was still very foggy - so I didn't take my camera. When we got up to the tower a while later, the sun was lower and shining brightly through layers of clouds that had lifted up off the peaks. Wonderful views all around, but no camera. :( It would be a lovely place to watch the sun set.

Loved your spelling, by the way!

I had the same experience and passed up the tower due to foggy weather :( be time I had walked down a mile or so it was clear and pretty out. I was going NoBo and not turning back around as I was 2-3 miles from the end of my trip haha - good excuse for another hiking trip up to it.

Tennessee Viking
08-18-2015, 14:32
People cowboy on top of Wesser Tower and Rich Mountain Tower.

Most firetowers are no longer be utilized for other than radio and maintenance hubs.

Many existing firetowers are now being turned into observation points.