PDA

View Full Version : Trail Advice

Purposeful Wandering
08-17-2015, 22:26
Hi! I've been section hiking the AT for the last few years, but always with a partner. I'm planning to complete another section this fall sometime in September / October from October Mountain, MA north to TBD and it looks like I'll be hiking solo this time.

I'm excited, but also a little nervous. Does anyone know what the hiker traffic is like in the area in the fall?

Thank you!
Jamie

lemon b
08-18-2015, 06:21
I live 4 miles from where your starting. Traffic is light in the Fall. Leaves will still be on the trees. Almost an even mix of SB vs NB. Beautiful time of the year to hike.

Slo-go'en
08-18-2015, 09:35
From late August into at least Mid September, during the week pretty much every shelter in southern New England will be full of collage kids on "bonding" trips. Typically they don't stay in the shelter, but near it. Although if it's raining many run for the shelter. Weekends can have a lot of weekend hikers depending on the location, weather and fall foliage.

If your starting later in September, you'll probably miss most if not all the collage kids and the trail will be real quiet except on nice weekends. NOBOs should be long gone (If their still down in MA or VT that time of year, their not going to finish), but you could pass a few SOBO stragglers.

Just keep in mind the weather can be nasty that time of year too. Mid fall is either the best time to hike or the worst, depending on the weather that day.

ekeverette
08-18-2015, 20:12
I assume you are nervous because there will not be people out there? I don't mind to see folks from time to time. It gets kinda lonely out there.

Purposeful Wandering
08-18-2015, 20:29
I would say I'm more nervous because I'm a female hiking alone. It will be my first time out completely alone and I'm hoping there will be a good number of other's on the trail too.

Purposeful Wandering
08-18-2015, 20:31
Thank you! I've had some really amazing fall hikes weather wise in other years, so I'm hoping the late arrival summer lingers into the fall this year. Thank you for the response!

Purposeful Wandering
08-18-2015, 20:31
Thank you so much!

ekeverette
08-18-2015, 21:21
you will see more folks out there in the fall..... it's cooler and just better hiking. I understand, Just stick to the shelters and there will be folks there at the end of the day. Good Luck. EVEREADY

Sarcasm the elf
08-18-2015, 21:37
If you go while the leaves are changing color, there should be a decent number of people out during the week and many more out on the weekends. I also often run into a few late-starting Southbounders in September when I'm out in Massachusetts.