PDA

View Full Version : Trail Advice for a Solo Female Hiker

Purposeful Wandering
08-17-2015, 22:27
Hi! I've been section hiking the AT for the last few years, but always with a partner. I'm planning to complete another section this fall sometime in September / October from October Mountain, MA north to TBD and it looks like I'll be hiking solo this time.

I'm excited, but also a little nervous. Does anyone know what the hiker traffic is like in the area in the fall?

Thank you!
Jamie

shrapnel
08-18-2015, 04:22
My friend and I did most of Mass last year during that time, although we went SOBO on most sections. We ran into occasional people for a quick talk, but not too many. We did stay at a shelter because there was only one other hiker there - young kid going NOBO. The less people you have around you, the better the hike is my advice. I do not mind meeting an occasional hiker or two, but cannot stand crowds.

illabelle
08-18-2015, 08:53
We've done week-long section hikes in the fall up that way: Massachusetts, Vermont so far. The trail is beautiful at that time with the fall colors, and temperatures are pleasant. Not too many thru-hikers out at that time, except for maybe some late SOBOs, but a light sprinkling of folks like us, just out for a few days enjoying the trail.

BillyGr
08-18-2015, 15:42
We did a Scout backpack last October and had a few other people staying in the shelter site with us, but that happened to be Columbus weekend. Other times in the fall it's been pretty quiet.