PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hiker Avatars for WB

g00gle
08-17-2015, 23:39
I noticed that (in the section of pre-made avatars available to WB users) that the "Thru-Hiker" avatars only run from 2004 - 2008. I made a note to myself that if I ever had time I would try to make a few more that matched the current selections available.

Well, I',m trapped at home due to an impacted wisdom tooth (a tooth that seems to have fallen 20 years behind schedule) and bored beyond belief in between bouts of pain, so I cranked up Photoshop and decided to take a shot at it.

I copied the original avatars as much as I could, though I just couldn't quite nail the font. However, they follow the same style and they are the same dimensions as the originals here on WB, and they are also in the .gif format that the other avatars are in.

Hopefully an Admin might find them attractive enough to add them to the collection of user avatars here on the site already (so that more than just 2004-2008 can choose a thru-hike avatar.) They're not great, but hopefully they're usable.

If anyone else wants to use one on their own, feel free! Just download or copy or save or whatever it is you do to get an image from a webpage to your computer.

illabelle
08-18-2015, 08:55
Next you need to make custom section-hiker avatars. We'll need one covering 2010 - 2020! :)

g00gle
08-18-2015, 14:58
Well, give me your opinion before I go cranking out a bunch of these...

Or should I do something else with out a "year" in there?

Lnj
08-18-2015, 15:08
Why not make one for each state section?

g00gle
08-18-2015, 15:13
Why not make one for each state section?

&*$#!!!! And I thought we were friends!

Just kidding! I could probably do that, but the issue becomes two-fold. First, people who have multiple states behind them would then have to choose one. Second, the more images I create, the the more work for an admin to put them in place, which means the chances of them even getting used begins to dwindle further than it already is.

But I can always do a custom one for, oh say, Georgia (upon request, of course.) :)

Lnj
08-18-2015, 15:32
LOL!!! No need to customize anything for little ole me! I guess I didn't think that all the way thru. You are correct and please disregard the suggestion. It would be cool though if there were like stars or colored dots or something for each state, so people could show their progress. Don't think that would be an avatar though. There is an admin wishing I was never born right now. :-?:o

g00gle
08-18-2015, 15:40
Too late...

The problem is, besides trying to make these things through a narcotic haze right now (impacted wisdom tooth awaiting maintenance) is that I'm not very creative. When given an idea I can do much better than when left to "create" something. Well, it's a start... Now, if you really had one of your own choosing, what would it be?

g00gle
08-18-2015, 15:42
'belle...? Where are you? Help!

Wyoming
08-18-2015, 15:56
OH! Since you have volunteered I have just a few other suggestions. We don't want to leave anyone out. I'm working on page 4 right now ...be right baCK!

atraildreamer
08-18-2015, 16:16
Contact Rick (attroll). I'm sure he would appreciate your efforts and use them.

Hope you are feeling better!

illabelle
08-18-2015, 16:22
Actually, rather than avatars, I'd just like something in the signature line that graphically shows progress and updates automatically, maybe something linked to www.atdist.com. That would be cool. :)

g00gle
08-18-2015, 16:32
Too late...

The problem is, besides trying to make these things through a narcotic haze right now (impacted wisdom tooth awaiting maintenance) is that I'm not very creative. When given an idea I can do much better than when left to "create" something. Well, it's a start... Now, if you really had one of your own choosing, what would it be?

Another sorry attempt for the state of Georgia... (Man, I really need a hobby!)

g00gle
08-18-2015, 16:42
Contact Rick (attroll). I'm sure he would appreciate your efforts and use them. :)

Hope you are feeling better! :D

I will try to get hold of him, though, I suspect (unlike me) he may have a real life outside of here (which would explain his delayed responses, lol.)

Actually, rather than avatars, I'd just like something in the signature line that graphically shows progress and updates automatically, maybe something linked to www.atdist.com (http://www.atdist.com). That would be cool. :)

Well, 'belle, I used to do lots of mods to a gaming site I owned and ran (V-Bulletin, same software this site is running) and I got pretty good at adding hacks and mods, but I'm not sure that mod you want would be too friendly. The extra bandwidth (by itself) that the updates would add to the site every time someone loaded a page (such as this one) would probably get ATTroll kicked out from whatever company is hosting the server WB is hosted on.

Besides, it was your suggestion for Section Hiker avatars... I need some advice if you were serious about those. :)

BirdBrain
08-18-2015, 16:48
How about animated gifs that cycle through the states you have done? Not sure mine is a serious comment. You seem to want to stay busy. Creating such gifs customized by year finished for each user should keep you busy for a while. :D Okay. I confess. Mine was not a serious request.

illabelle
08-18-2015, 16:51
... it was your suggestion for Section Hiker avatars... I need some advice if you were serious about those. :)

I was half-serious, hadn't really thought much about it. Problem with the section hiker avatars is the very wide variety that would be required if they followed the same general pattern as the thru-hiker avatar, as in noting the year. I mean, how many possible combinations are there for a start year and finish year? If you limited it to a 20-year span, that's already about 400! You could have only the year of completion, but that means I can't honestly use the 2020 avatar for another five years.

A couple of possibilities:
Avatars that identify the length (in years) of the section hike.
Avatars that identify the approximate percent completion of the section hike.

g00gle
08-18-2015, 17:01
how about animated gifs that cycle through the states you have done? Not sure mine is a serious comment. You seem to want to stay busy. Creating such gifs customized by year finished for each user should keep you busy for a while. :d okay. I confess. Mine was not a serious request.

i can feel it, bird... LoL!

g00gle
08-18-2015, 17:06
I was half-serious, hadn't really thought much about it. Problem with the section hiker avatars is the very wide variety that would be required if they followed the same general pattern as the thru-hiker avatar, as in noting the year. I mean, how many possible combinations are there for a start year and finish year? If you limited it to a 20-year span, that's already about 400! You could have only the year of completion, but that means I can't honestly use the 2020 avatar for another five years.

A couple of possibilities:
Avatars that identify the length (in years) of the section hike.
Avatars that identify the approximate percent completion of the section hike.

What about something with a different image than just the year? A.T. symbol or hiker silhouette, etc.?

The thought of one that identifies the length in years is almost tenable, but where does the count stop? 20? 50? That would be a lot of images = alot of bandwidth used every time someone just browsed the available avatars to pick one.

Again, I'm terrible with the part about imagining ideas. I can be a little creative when I have an idea to work from, but otherwise... Well, as you can see above, it ain't pretty, lol.

g00gle
08-18-2015, 17:31
Okay, 'belle, how about something simple...?

BirdBrain
08-18-2015, 17:44

I recognize that section. That is the climb up Wildcat E

illabelle
08-18-2015, 18:36

Simple is good. And I like yellow. :) :sun