PDA

View Full Version : Keeping hiker fit in the south

Back on the trail
08-18-2015, 09:29
Ok, so I live in one of the least hilly spots in the country. Before my last hike I was training at a 4 - 5 miles in a
1 1/2 hr pace; three times a week. It served me well as I got from High Point to Gren Anderson in one day.

But I just went on a 5.3 mile hike on the Florida beach soft sand in my FULL pack and hiking boots and found my new training spot. This is really just a post to remind us all no matter where we are, think outside the box and you can find great hiking training area.

Gambit McCrae
08-18-2015, 10:38
I find that if I can comfortable run/jog/walk 5 miles every day prior to a trip it is SO much more enjoyable then when I have been fat and on the couch for a month

Lnj
08-18-2015, 10:59
I am only a Saturday morning day hiker and a once or twice a week track walker. What is considered a decent training? Keeping in mind I am starting the 75ish mile GA to NC hike in May and am a mom of 2 teens, one in football and the other just driving and working, and have a full time 9 to 5?

burger
08-18-2015, 11:10
Walking on flat sand won't really train you for hiking mountains. Get a gym membership and walk uphill on a treadmill with a full pack at a 10 or 15% grade for an hour or more a few times a week. That's a pretty decent simulation of hiking if you're in the flatlands.

Wülfgang
08-18-2015, 11:20
^Agree. Probably the closest simulation you can get without actually hiking.

15% treadmill grade (no holding on to the hand rails!!) at the fastest pace you can handle with a full pack for 30 mins to start, then work up to an hour or more 3 x a week.

zeldaminor
08-18-2015, 11:43
The elliptical machine is another good bet. Set the tension high for a while and do circuits. I find this helps strengthen my leg muscles.

I've also found that core-strengthening workouts help overall strength and dealing with a full pack. I am within 3 hours of mountains for weekend hiking, but it's not always possible, so I do a lot of jogging, at-home workout DVDs (Bob Harper's Inside Out Method series will kick your a**!) that incorporate strength training and cardio, brisk walking after dinner, and occasionally a recumbent exercise bike or yoga. I typically jog or do a "bootcamp" workout first thing in the morning, do a 30-minute workout before dinner, and take a long, brisk post-dinner walk. When I do weekend day hikes, I carry a full pack whether I need it or not for the practice. I don't have a gym membership because of expense/hassle, I work three jobs and live in a tiny apartment, but I'm in the best shape of my life right now. Thinking outside the box ftw!

Proton
08-18-2015, 12:56
Living in Tampa this is a question I've been thinking about lately. I think there are five basic categories of training to prepare for an extended hike. 1) Cardio for overall endurance. 2) Leg strength for walking and climbing. 3) Tendon's, ligaments, other connective tissues for uneven surfaces and descents. 4) Core and upper body strength to carry a backpack. 5) Flexibility for comfort and quicker recovery. I think cardio benefit can come from any exercise that does not send you into the mountains already nursing any overuse injuries (run, walk, swim, bike, treadmill, etc.) For leg strength I am jogging 2-3 times per week and doing a strength class with squats and lunges 2-3 times per week. For strengthening connective tissue I think jogging on grass or trail (or the sand hike as previously mentioned) might be a good idea. I typically run on concrete sidewalks and the slight variation of surface I have read will strengthen smaller muscles in feet, ankles, and legs. For core and upper body I have the 1-hour strength class mentioned. For flexibility (and quicker injury recovery) I am doing nothing -- but thinking of adding a yoga or stretching class at the YMCA. I am preparing for a NOBO from Springer at the end for March, 2016. I hope the first week to ten days will help me get my trail legs but this preparation should help my stamina and my morale. Thanks for the idea of hiking on a steep treadmill with backpack. I will try that too.

Uncle Joe
08-18-2015, 13:33
Walking on flat sand won't really train you for hiking mountains. Get a gym membership and walk uphill on a treadmill with a full pack at a 10 or 15% grade for an hour or more a few times a week. That's a pretty decent simulation of hiking if you're in the flatlands.

I'm not sure I completely agree. If the sand is thick it would seem a good simulation. Ultimately, it's resistance with hiking and sand would appear to provide that. Certainly weight training, inclined treadmill, etc. is best but barring that I don't see why sand wouldn't provide benefit.

I recall many Florida cyclists that would come up to our annual mountain bike festival in the Ga mountains. They did very well on the climbs which we found odd. The explanation was that in Florida, while there are no climbs there are also no descents. No coasting time. You pedal constantly, especially on the road. Between that, headwinds and sand you appear to have plenty of resistance. That seemed to pay off well in the mountains, FWIW.

Spirit Walker
08-18-2015, 14:07
lnj - before my long hikes, I would walk for an hour (3 miles) every morning or evening and then do a long dayhike or backpack hike on the weekend. That got me in pretty good shape. Running is also good but doesn't train the back/shoulder muscles in the same way.

To the OP - another option in Florida is bridges. You have some very nice arches that can give you practice with going up and down, especially if you do them briskly.

Pedaling Fool
08-18-2015, 14:21

It's true that walking on flat sand won't prepare your upper leg muscles for hiking up and down mountains; however, I still think it's very much worth the effort/time. I run (barefoot) on the beach, both the hard-packed and soft sand and the hard-packed sand is great for toughening up your feet and the soft sand is great for working the little muscles/connective tissues in your feet/ankles, something you'll never get on a treadmill, but very much need for hiking in the mountains.

For leg muscles you don't even need a gym, just do all sorts of leg squats, including single leg squats, lunges, skipping rope and work up towards impact oriented exercises, i.e. plyometrics.

P.S. I also run up and down the bridges in Florida, since they are fairly high/steep.

Pedaling Fool
08-18-2015, 14:25
I recall many Florida cyclists that would come up to our annual mountain bike festival in the Ga mountains. They did very well on the climbs which we found odd. The explanation was that in Florida, while there are no climbs there are also no descents. No coasting time. You pedal constantly, especially on the road. Between that, headwinds and sand you appear to have plenty of resistance. That seemed to pay off well in the mountains, FWIW.I'm a Florida cyclists and yes, it's true there is no coasting, but add to that the headwinds and it's just like riding up hill all day, stop pedaling and you're DIW.

I almost never have a tail wind, which sucks, but I'm a stronger rider for it, but it still sucks...:mad::D

Walkintom
08-18-2015, 14:34
Parking garage stairs.

Lnj
08-18-2015, 15:05
Very helpful advice. The training (for me) has to coincide with normal life activities/responsibilities.

GreatDane
08-18-2015, 17:10
Lnj - I had the same issues when preparing for my 2013 thru attempt. I ended up walking three to four miles a day, with a longer hike on the weekends, every couple of weeks. I also used a step exercise platform at home to simulate climbing, going up and down for as long as I could (started at five minutes and worked up to 45) five nights a week. As I got stronger, I found a local park with a native American mound with steps to the top that I walked up and down as many times as I could five days a week. That plus squats, leg extensions and curls, glutes raises, calf raises, and side leg lifts (first upper leg and then lower) at home three or four day a week gave me all the strength I needed to haul my overweight self and a 30 pound pack up and over the Georgia mountains. One thing I thought really helped was simply balancing on one foot at a time for as long as I could without tipping over each day. Strengthened my ankles and did wonders for my balance.

MuddyWaters
08-18-2015, 19:07
Why dont more train by running?

It's too hard.

rocketsocks
08-18-2015, 19:24

It's too hard.
...on the knees.

ekeverette
08-18-2015, 20:06
you are doing good, but the trail itself, in just a few days will get you in all the shape you want...... trust me!!

Spirit Walker
08-18-2015, 20:48
...on the knees.

Actually, my knees are much better since I became a runner. Backpacking did a lot of damage, running has done none. The only time my knees hurt now is when I hike on steep trails, and the pain isn't as bad or as lasting nowadays.

Traveler
08-19-2015, 08:44
Parking garage stairs.

+1 and perfect for up and downhill conditioning!

egilbe
08-19-2015, 12:28
Walking lunges. If you want to make it harder, hold a couple dumbells over your head while you do them.

Wyoming
08-19-2015, 14:44

It's too hard.

Running would be good cross training for backpacking, but one uses the muscles very differently when running as compared to backpacking.

Hiking with a pack in soft sand would also seem to be excellent cross training, but once again not a substitute for going up and down steep inclines.

By the way a great therapy for tender knees from either backpacking or running is swimming. Totally no impact but if you emphasize the legs when swimming it really helps tighten up the ligaments and tendons. It also makes those river fords a little less daunting if you know you can swim the thing if you fall in and have to.

jilleann
08-19-2015, 17:10
WOW!!! thanks for the idea, I live in Naples, Florida. Have been worried that just my plain workouts on the treadmill and elliptical with a full backpack is not enough for the mountains that i will encounter. Now i have a new workout route. Thank you again..

Goatgas
08-19-2015, 21:10
There is a park near Tampa that has a lot of deep sink holes with hiking trails. Forgot the name at the moment. It would be a good spot I'm thinking.

Jake2c
08-19-2015, 22:24
I have the same problem, live in FL near the beach. I am getting ready for a thru hike and walking 4 times a week. In the military we use a pack on the beach in boots and it works very well. Stairs are good. Running for me is counter productive. I used to run marathons many years ago and found in the long run, it was hard on my knees. I worry about being in good enough shape when I start because I am older but we shall see how it goes. Wish you luck, and good health.

MuddyWaters
08-19-2015, 23:19
Running will condition bones and tendons to repetitive higher stresses that just hiking doesnt. It helps you avoid tendonitis and stress fractures by being better conditioned. On top of that, it puts you in good cardiovascular shape.

Mix it with resistance training, and your covered pretty well

Uncle Joe
08-19-2015, 23:56
There is a park near Tampa that has a lot of deep sink holes with hiking trails. Forgot the name at the moment. It would be a good spot I'm thinking.

Sounds like Alafia.

Back on the trail
08-20-2015, 09:31
LNJ - we have similar lives right now. My daughter is in softball and soccer. I drop her off at practice and instead of watching her practice I walk around the field. I stay in the high grass as much as possible. I started at about 2 1/2 miles in 1 1/2 hours and got up to walking 5 miles in the same 1 1/2 hours by the end of the season. We have the time we just need to rethink our use. That work out made my NJ state hike possible and coming down of high point I made it to Gren anderson in one day. Soft sand- always walking in the soft sand with 32 lbs in the pack.

Pedaling Fool
08-20-2015, 10:44
...Running for me is counter productive. I used to run marathons many years ago and found in the long run, it was hard on my knees. I worry about being in good enough shape when I start because I am older but we shall see how it goes. Wish you luck, and good health.If you have problems running then you really should look at the why, because hiking downhills are every bit as tough on the knees as running, if not more so.

I have heard people say that they use hiking poles to reduce knee pain, but I've also heard many complain about the pains they start to feel in their wrists, elbows and shoulders from relying too much on the poles. My point being that regardless it seems like we can all benefit from weight training to prepare our bodies for the rigors of hiking, not to mention the rigors of aging.

MuddyWaters
08-20-2015, 10:55
If you have problems running then you really should look at the why, because hiking downhills are every bit as tough on the knees as running, if not more so.

Bingo

Poles do help go slower and more gently, once you learn the hard way that it's a good idea

Jake2c
08-20-2015, 22:33
If you have problems running then you really should look at the why, because hiking downhills are every bit as tough on the knees as running, if not more so.

I have heard people say that they use hiking poles to reduce knee pain, but I've also heard many complain about the pains they start to feel in their wrists, elbows and shoulders from relying too much on the poles. My point being that regardless it seems like we can all benefit from weight training to prepare our bodies for the rigors of hiking, not to mention the rigors of aging.

I have looked into it. After running for many years competitively as well as participating in a high impact sport I just damaged a number of things. If I had run recreationally or to stay in shape maybe now it would be different, but after knee surgery among other things that are private, it was on the medical communities advice that I stop running, just too much pounding and there are many aerobic exercises that are just as good. Instead they recommended swimming and biking which I did much of. Going down hill is an issue and I picked my trekking poles with that in mind. I know . . . it was tough for me to finally come to realize that running may not be the best exercise for me too. At this point I don't think running is required to be successful on the AT. If I'm wrong I guess I will find out soon enough.

Jake2c
08-20-2015, 22:35
Oh, I should have added that I completely agree with weight training. That improves bone density among many other things. Thanks.

Pedaling Fool
08-21-2015, 09:00
I have looked into it. After running for many years competitively as well as participating in a high impact sport I just damaged a number of things. If I had run recreationally or to stay in shape maybe now it would be different, but after knee surgery among other things that are private, it was on the medical communities advice that I stop running, just too much pounding and there are many aerobic exercises that are just as good. Instead they recommended swimming and biking which I did much of. Going down hill is an issue and I picked my trekking poles with that in mind. I know . . . it was tough for me to finally come to realize that running may not be the best exercise for me too. At this point I don't think running is required to be successful on the AT. If I'm wrong I guess I will find out soon enough."...participating in a high impact sport..." what exactly does that mean?

I'm not trying to push running on you or anyone, nor am I saying that, "...running is required to be successful on the AT."

I'm just saying that it's a myth that running for years will inevitably lead to injuries that will require one to stop running. This myth is so common and it's just one of my pet peeves to counter myths.

That's not to say that some people have injured themselves for life from running, but whatever the reason it was not as simple as pounding; anyone that has run for any amount of time knows that the jarring you feel in the beginning is mostly from a weak frame and poor running form. Once one attains a higher level of physical conditioning and more experience you actually don't feel the pounding and actually feel more like you're gliding. That's not to say there is NO impact, but the body has very much the ability to withstand this impact, we've evolved that way and it's best to not shy away from impact, rather to confront it and condition yourself for it, that is the nature of nature.

Like I said, I don't care if you never run again, but if you do have some medical condition where impact is a major concern, than (as I said before) you really need to look at the why and make sure you do something to prepare for the AT, because hiking the AT ain't low impact. You can remove stress from your knees by using poles, but that will only add that stress to another location. You ain't getting any younger...

Pedaling Fool
08-21-2015, 09:20
I've noticed a few Florida hikers here, but some don't list what part of Florida. Just in case any of you live near the Jacksonville area this is for you...

I just heard about a really good trail running route located here. I haven't checked it out yet, been too busy, but hope to get out there over the weekend....

http://www.nps.gov/timu/planyourvisit/directions_theodorerooseveltarea.htm

http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=918

This is what 1st Place Sports says about it:

This trail run starts at the Roosevelt Area trail head (off of Mt Pleasant Rd.) and winds through three parks(Roosevelt Area, Spanish Pond, & Fort Caroline) and has the steepest hills, roughest trails and best natural views in Jax. You will not be able to follow it as mapped, you'll probably get lost (temporarily), but you'll have a great time if you enjoy this kind of running. Definitely a run for the cooler months in FL.

Here's a little history of the park and Willie Browne, kind of like a mini Baxter State Park of NE Florida, kind of cool http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2010-12-25/story/willie-brownes-enduring-gift-jacksonville-nature

(http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2010-12-25/story/willie-brownes-enduring-gift-jacksonville-nature)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kdM1VZcwLw

Dogwood
08-21-2015, 23:16
Ok, so I live in one of the least hilly spots in the country. Before my last hike I was training at a 4 - 5 miles in a
1 1/2 hr pace; three times a week. It served me well as I got from High Point to Gren Anderson in one day.

But I just went on a 5.3 mile hike on the Florida beach soft sand in my FULL pack and hiking boots and found my new training spot. This is really just a post to remind us all no matter where we are, think outside the box and you can find great hiking training area.

Great attitude! Hiking 4-5 miles on deep beach sand with a loaded pack is good training for hiking! It's hard! Less risk of injury compared to high impact exercising too especially if you're just starting getting into shape for hiking. Mix in some walks and steps and pool work(just walking in water with weights can be beneficial) you'll likely being better shape than the avg AT thru-hiker.

Jake2c
08-26-2015, 17:34
"...participating in a high impact sport..." what exactly does that mean?

I'm not trying to push running on you or anyone, nor am I saying that, "...running is required to be successful on the AT."

I'm just saying that it's a myth that running for years will inevitably lead to injuries that will require one to stop running. This myth is so common and it's just one of my pet peeves to counter myths.

That's not to say that some people have injured themselves for life from running, but whatever the reason it was not as simple as pounding; anyone that has run for any amount of time knows that the jarring you feel in the beginning is mostly from a weak frame and poor running form. Once one attains a higher level of physical conditioning and more experience you actually don't feel the pounding and actually feel more like you're gliding. That's not to say there is NO impact, but the body has very much the ability to withstand this impact, we've evolved that way and it's best to not shy away from impact, rather to confront it and condition yourself for it, that is the nature of nature.

Like I said, I don't care if you never run again, but if you do have some medical condition where impact is a major concern, than (as I said before) you really need to look at the why and make sure you do something to prepare for the AT, because hiking the AT ain't low impact. You can remove stress from your knees by using poles, but that will only add that stress to another location. You ain't getting any younger...

Hmmm, not really sure what the issue is here. I didn't think I was starting a dust up. All I said was "for me running was counterproductive", it was a personal assessment. I am not trying to get into a debate on the pluses and minuses of running. I used to run, unfortunately for me, the myth affects me. To clarify, my high impact sport was competitive Shotokan Karate in the 70s and early 80s when there were no weight classes and kicking the legs and knees was quite acceptable. I competed at a fairly high level so people were hitting with intention hence the "high impact". There are of course other high impact sports. In any case, my intention is to try and get ready for the AT. All I was hoping to gain by entering into this tread was see if I might read a few imagintive ways to do that in a flat state that I could use. Unfortunately, as noted, I am not getting any younger, but then on the plus side, there is only one option I know of to getting older.

theoilman
08-26-2015, 17:56
In Tallahassee, FL the biggest hill to train on is the state capital building, 22 floors of stairway, between 225 and 250 feet of "elevation gain". Carrying a full pack is quite a problem because of going through security, but a day pack with water bottles (carry in empty and fill after security). 15 to 20 lbs and 4 trips in an hour. Most of the time I take the stairs down, occasionally I'll take the elevator down.

How little hill for normal walking? I did 3 1/2 miles this morning and Mr. Garmin said I only did 80 feet of elevation gain.

In Florida we have to get creative to train.

Pedaling Fool
08-26-2015, 21:33
Hmmm, not really sure what the issue is here. I didn't think I was starting a dust up. All I said was "for me running was counterproductive", it was a personal assessment. I am not trying to get into a debate on the pluses and minuses of running. I used to run, unfortunately for me, the myth affects me. To clarify, my high impact sport was competitive Shotokan Karate in the 70s and early 80s when there were no weight classes and kicking the legs and knees was quite acceptable. I competed at a fairly high level so people were hitting with intention hence the "high impact". There are of course other high impact sports. In any case, my intention is to try and get ready for the AT. All I was hoping to gain by entering into this tread was see if I might read a few imagintive ways to do that in a flat state that I could use. Unfortunately, as noted, I am not getting any younger, but then on the plus side, there is only one option I know of to getting older.Goju karate myself. I've done my fair share of shin blocks/knocking, without pads of course:)