PDA

View Full Version : Trail start advice needed

Lnj
08-18-2015, 11:04
My husband and I plan to start our section hike at Deep Gap, just north of the NC/GA state line and go SOBO to the Springer Mtn. trailhead. Has anyone ever done this before? We have 8 days of daylight (plus a few hours) to make the trek. Any advice on getting on the trail there? On the map it looks like it starts at the end of National Forest Rd.

peakbagger
08-18-2015, 11:37
Not really that difficult to find

Lnj
08-18-2015, 11:46
Good. Thanks. Seemed pretty obscure when I was searching it out on MapQuest, so I wanted to make sure someone knew where it was and it was still viable.

juniorace
08-18-2015, 18:01
8 days should be fine.

The gravel forest service road to Deep Gap is in pretty good condition and there is ample parking there.

LittleRock
08-20-2015, 07:45
I did that section NOBO in 6 days - 8 should be plenty.

Deep Gap trailhead is easy to find - turn onto the gravel forest service road from US 64 and it's about 6 miles straight uphill.

Lnj
08-20-2015, 10:42
Glad to hear that. We will be MUCH slower than you so maybe we can get her done!

slbirdnerd
08-20-2015, 12:34
LNJ--I commented on one of your other posts, but just wanted to add make sure you guys have a couple shuttlers phone numbers in hand in case you need to get off the trail, and remember cell service is usually better up high and not in the valleys and gaps.

Have a great time, don't forget to soak it all in! Be sure to stop for a nice break at Long Creek Falls!

Lnj
08-20-2015, 13:53
Ok, I will. Thank you. I plan to have a blast. I am ready to go right now, I am so excited. Planning in part of the fun too though.

FlyPaper
08-20-2015, 14:05
My husband and I plan to start our section hike at Deep Gap, just north of the NC/GA state line and go SOBO to the Springer Mtn. trailhead. Has anyone ever done this before? We have 8 days of daylight (plus a few hours) to make the trek. Any advice on getting on the trail there? On the map it looks like it starts at the end of National Forest Rd.

Lot's of shuttles operate in the area. You can get numbers from the ATC website. Best to park at Springer and shuttle to Deep Gap so that you are walking to your car. Either way, keep a few numbers in case you need to alter your plans. And make sure you have a Verizon phone (or a TrakFone, but make sure it is CDMA and NOT GSM).

Both places are reachable by gravel road. I drove my Saturn SC2 (a small car) to Deep Gap with no problem.

You can walk the whole distance in 8 days. You don't have to be a great athlete to make it, but if you're not in good shape you don't have much time to waste either. There is plenty of camping along the way, and numerous shelters. Due to the fact that so many hikers hike from Springer at the same time every spring, all the shelters have plenty of camping sites.

Lnj
08-20-2015, 14:20
That is good news. Neither of us are in good shape, so it will push us to do this in 8 days, but that's ok. We'll feel like Rocky when we do. We both have Verizon phones, so no issue there. I was thinking of getting my dad to drop us off at Deep Gap and calling for a pick up at Springer or Amicalola or where ever we end up. I don't like the idea of leaving my car around. I prefer to camp versus using the shelters unless there is a physical or weather emergency. Thanks for all the good advice.