PDA

View Full Version : This is my gear so far. Help greatly appreciated!

Husko
11-26-2005, 18:56
This is what I have so far. Sorry I don't have a scale to weight it. Advise on what I'm missing or what I still need for a SOBO thru hike appreciated.

pack:
1. Osprey Crescent 90.
1. pack rain cover.

Shelter:
1. Sierra lightyear CD tent.
1. EMS Mountain light 20 degree down bag
1. Silk bag liner
(I still need to purchase a sleeping pad but not sure what to get.)

Eat stuff:
1. Antigravity gear 3 cup cookset.
1. Additional 80z alcohol fuel bottle.
1. minibulldesign Sith pepsi can stove for back up.
1. MSR mini works water filter.
1. Lexan spoon.

Clothing:
1. silk weight capeline top.
1. Mid weight capaline top.
1. silk weight capeline bottom.
3. capeline underwear.
1. pair Outdoor research gortex crocodile gaiter.
3. Smart pair Hiker Smart Wool socks.
1. pair capaline mid weight glove liners.
1, bulky fleece pull over from walmart.
(Still need to look into purchasing outerwear like pants)

Rain gear:
1. EMS Thunderhead jacket.
1. EMS Thunderhead pant.

Other stuff:

1. pair MSR Carbon walking poles.
1. Knife.
1. head LED lamp.
1. small first aid kit.
1. small compass.
2. bandanna's

Red Hat
11-26-2005, 19:10
Since you'll need to hang your food, you will need a bag to keep it in. It should be waterproof, or have a garbage bag liner. Other than that, it seems like a good list. You may want to switch to lighter weight fleece and take just one of the capilenes. Have fun!

kyhipo
11-26-2005, 19:12
some kind of radio is nice weather ect ect,but heck lucks like a good list so far,ky

TooTall
11-26-2005, 20:05
1. Silk bag liner
1. capeline underwear.
1. EMS Thunderhead pant.
1. Knife (unless it's very very small).
1. small compass.

I'd ditch all of the above.

The bag is going to get dirty no matter what you do. The bag liner is just an annoyance.

You can always mail or make the backup stove so don't carry a spare.

You have four layers with the Rain top, fleece top, capeline top and capeline underwear so you don't need the mid weight capeline top. Four layers is enough.

Usually two pairs of anything is enough so ditch the third pair of underwear.

Where are the hiking shorts or pants? If that's the capeline bottom then you do need it. Maybe two pair of shorts or pants so you have something to wear on the trail and a pair for in town.

You don't really need the rain pants - you either sweat with them on or get wet with them off so just ditch them. You don't lose heat in your legs much so they really aren't that useful as another layer for cold.

You don't need a compass on the AT.

Maybe just some nail clippers instead of the knife.

Where's the plastic trowel and toilet paper for you know what?

Got a fleece or wool hat for when it's cold? Maybe switch to a baseball cap when it's not.

Too Tall Paul

Jack Tarlin
11-26-2005, 20:29
Here's some of the things I've done with a small knife:

*Used it to slice food and prepare meals....slicing cheese, salami, and meats;
peeling and slicing fruit; also good for vegetables
*Used it to cut rope, for bear bag, laundry line, other occasions
*Used it for minor surgeries...lancing blisters, sawing off callouses, etc.
*Used it to create and sharpen wooden tent stakes when metal ones were
lost
*Used it to whittle wood shavings to start a fire
*Used it to cut branches off a branch in order to make a splint.
*Used it to open parcels and mail; used it to cut tape in order to create same
*Used it to cut cardboard to make a sign for hitch-hiking
*Used it to cut up a bandana in order to make bandages
*Used it to gut and clean fish
*Used it to open botles, jars, cans
*Used it for many minor repairs of gear, clothing, etc.

And so on....

Here are some of the things you can do with nail clippers:

*Clip your nails.

In other words, I suggest you might want to think about bringing a knife.

justusryans
11-26-2005, 20:30
You don't need a compass on the AT.

Too Tall Paul

I wouldn't recommend anyone go in the woods without a compass, no matter how well marked the trail was...:eek:

SGT Rock
11-26-2005, 20:32
This is what I have so far. Sorry I don't have a scale to weight it. Advise on what I'm missing or what I still need for a SOBO thru hike appreciated.

How about some weights?

pack:
1. Osprey Crescent 90.
1. pack rain cover.

Might want to switch to pack liners

Shelter:
1. Silk bag liner

Look at the Campmor 20F down bag

Eat stuff:
1. Lexan spoon.
80oz fuel bottle? Damn that is HUGE! You may want to cut that down to about 8-20 ounces. You should be able to re-supply enough that 80 ounces would be way overkill. 80 ounces would weigh about 4 pounds.
You could also change out the water filter for iodine or some chemical and save some weight.
How about a food bag? Fire starter?

Clothing:
3. capeline underwear.

Use shorts and a light pair of rain pants.

Rain gear:
1. EMS Thunderhead pant.

Other stuff:

1. Knife.
1. head LED lamp.
1. small first aid kit.
1. small compass.
2. bandanna's
OK, how about the following:
Map
Guidebook
Camera
Journal
Soap
Toilet paper
Water bottles/bladders
Towel
Tooth brush and paste

TooTall
11-26-2005, 22:58
*Used it for minor surgeries...lancing blisters, sawing off callouses, etc.
*Used it to open parcels and mail; used it to cut tape in order to create same
*Used it to cut up a bandana in order to make bandages
*Used it to gut and clean fish
*Used it for many minor repairs of gear, clothing, etc.

These tasks can also be done with nail clippers. I primarily use either to open food packaging.

*Used it to slice food and prepare meals....slicing cheese, salami, and meats;
peeling and slicing fruit; also good for vegetables
*Used it to cut cardboard to make a sign for hitch-hiking

These tasks can be done in town where you can usually borrow a knife. Or you can borrow a knife from Jack out on the trail. Where the heck do you get cardboard out on the AT?

*Used it to create and sharpen wooden tent stakes when metal ones were
lost
*Used it to whittle wood shavings to start a fire
*Used it to cut branches off a branch in order to make a splint.

Do you really need a knife just for this?

Weight=Fear. If you're afraid you'll have to cut small logs then, by all means, carry a buck knife. I'd recommend, at most, a very small pen knife (http://www.gerbertools.com/Gerber-LST-Microlight-6095.htm). I'd also recommend a small P38 style can opener (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47591413&parent_category_rn=40003661&vcat=REI_SEARCH).

Too Tall Paul

Jack Tarlin
11-26-2005, 23:06
Watching this guy gut and clean a trout with nail clippers would, if nothing else, provide some amusement at day's end.

I think I'll stick to the knife.

TooTall
11-26-2005, 23:15
Watching this guy gut and clean a trout with nail clippers would, if nothing else, provide some amusement at day's end.

Open up the belly with the nail file. Take your thumb and gut the fish. Glad I can be of service for your amusement. (grin)

Too Tall Paul

Spirit Walker
11-27-2005, 00:17
Don't forget rope to hang your food. Also something to carry water. When the spring is 1/4 mile (or more) from the shelter, you don't want to make more than 1 trip. We use an Rei water bag - it holds 10 quarts and is very light. It is nice for taking a shower in the woods too.

Seeker
11-27-2005, 01:47
lots of good thoughts so far... hope these are too:

pack liner. gotta agree on a pack liner vs pack rain cover... i use a garbage bag, others use a trash compactor bag... my pack has no top flap, and i've never had anything get wet through the garbage bag. sometimes i carry a small (14" square) foam pad, to sit on, and it lays on top, under the strap, as a sort of flap.

knife-i carry a small Swiss Army Knife Tinker (i think that's the model... about $20 on sale at campmor... large and small blades, can opener, bottle opener, useless tweezers, useful toothpick, and i think that's all...)

p-38 style can opener would be redundant for me.

bag liner. would use on a longer hike simply because of the 'funk' factor... i don't carry one on my shorter trips.

toiletries. tp, travel toothbrush, toothpaste. carried a trowel, seldom used it, replaced it with a tent peg or a stick.

water filter. maybe you looked already, but if not, look at chemical purification vs filter... i use Aqua Mira. not real fond of iodine, but you can improve the taste with the vitamin C addative.

foam pad. i never found much difference in pads. they're all hard. went to a thermarest, then to a hammock. but that's just me.

you've not mentioned boots/shoes.

hikerjohnd
11-27-2005, 09:40
How about some weights?

Agreed - once you put stuff on the scale you will be surprised how fast you decide you do or don't need things...

The Old Fhart
11-27-2005, 11:15
SGT Rock-"How about some weights?"Personally, I'd leave the weights at home. Even small weights for doing curls are too heavy to carry on a thru hike.;)

Husko
11-27-2005, 11:33
Don't forget rope to hang your food. Also something to carry water. When the spring is 1/4 mile (or more) from the shelter, you don't want to make more than 1 trip. We use an Rei water bag - it holds 10 quarts and is very light. It is nice for taking a shower in the woods too.

I have a MSR 10 liter water bag http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=493&parent_category_rn=5760741&vcat=REI_SEARCH but I thought it might be to big and heavy? I'll be glad to not spend the money on another one. Thanks!

lots of good thoughts so far... hope these are too:

pack liner. gotta agree on a pack liner vs pack rain cover... i use a garbage bag, others use a trash compactor bag... my pack has no top flap, and i've never had anything get wet through the garbage bag. sometimes i carry a small (14" square) foam pad, to sit on, and it lays on top, under the strap, as a sort of flap.

water filter. maybe you looked already, but if not, look at chemical purification vs filter... i use Aqua Mira. not real fond of iodine, but you can improve the taste with the vitamin C addative.

you've not mentioned boots/shoes.

Thanks, ditching the rain cover and will pick up a trash compactor bag.

80oz fuel bottle? Damn that is HUGE! You may want to cut that down to about 8-20 ounces. You should be able to re-supply enough that 80 ounces would be way overkill. 80 ounces would weigh about 4 pounds.
You could also change out the water filter for iodine or some chemical and save some weight.
How about a food bag? Fire starter? Map
Guidebook
Camera
Journal
Soap
Toilet paper
Water bottles/bladders
Towel
Tooth brush and paste

whoops i meant 8 oz fuel bottle. I'm really freaked about the water. I'll have to start with the mini works filter and some type of chemical treatment as you recommend. Hopefully somewhere along the trail I'll have the confidence to send it back home. I have a camp towel. I'll bring that. Same goes for all the other toiletries stuff and the guide book. Where do I get a guide book? I'll have to look into a light weight camera that I can send home to get developed there.

A lot of controversy over bringing a knife. Mine is a 3 0z knife that can be attached to the outside of my bag. I'm going to bring it for function and maybe even a little fear. I like the idea of bringing a small P38 style can opener. If that isn't too heavy maybe I'll just throw one in my cook set.

I have a waterproof food bag that I forgot to mention.

I'll be getting all my gear together and writing it down as I put it into the pack for my final list and a weight of my pack. I'll have to weight it on your standard bathroom weight scale.

Lilred
11-27-2005, 12:35

I gotta agree with you on that one Jack. Telling someone to go into the woods without a knife is not very good advice, imho. That goes for a compass or maps as well.

Just Jeff
11-27-2005, 13:22
Yeah - leave the knife at home and save the 3 oz, so you can borrow it from everyone at the shelters when you need it. You might bug the hell out of everyone you hike with, but at least you're ultralighter!

Not to mention that a knife is one of the ten essentials. But then so is sunblock and I usually don't take any.

Panzer1
11-27-2005, 15:13
Open up the belly with the nail file. Take your thumb and gut the fish.

This is probably why nail clippers are banned on airplanes. Some people think you could take over the world with a nail clipper.

Panzer

Panzer1
11-27-2005, 15:26
Yeah - leave the knife at home and save the 3 oz, so you can borrow it from everyone at the shelters when you need it. You might bug the hell out of everyone you hike with, but at least you're ultralighter!

Yea, I agree. I am opposed to the idea of "Planning to borrow" things you need. That's not fair. It is akin to making "Sherpa's" out of your fellow hikers.

I not opposed to borrowing something in a emergency or something you did not plan on. But if you need it, YOU should be the one carring it.

I've always thought that a small pocket knife is very useful to carry. A knife like a small Swiss Army knife. Not a large one now, but a small one, at around 3 ounces would be in order.

I carry a swiss army knife even when I am not hiking. It's always a useful thing to have in your pocket.

Panzer

sparky2000
11-27-2005, 16:51
Underwear is just a carryover from the way things are in town - and the secomd pair of socks will do whenever gloves are needed.

Fiddler
11-27-2005, 18:34
I wouldn't recommend anyone go in the woods without a compass, no matter how well marked the trail was...:eek:

Ditto on taking a compass, and a map for the section you are on. BUT be sure you know how to use them together. Otherwise they are useless. I have never taken any really long hikes but I know how to use map & compass if ever needed. I also believe in carrying a whistle (don't see that mentioned here much) if you get lost or injured, sound will carry much further than a loud voice. 3 blasts for distress, 2 blasts for answer.

Panzer1
11-28-2005, 01:57
How about a Tyvek tarp to put under the tent. It will extend the life of the tent floor. Also has other uses.

Also, how about a digital watch with an alarm and the day/date. Hard to believe but sometimes I forget what day it is. Leave the wrist strap at home. You don't need a strap.

Panzer

Seeker
11-28-2005, 02:12
I'll be getting all my gear together and writing it down as I put it into the pack for my final list and a weight of my pack. I'll have to weight it on your standard bathroom weight scale.

bathroom scale won't really cut it. get a scale that measures to the half oz. yes, really... weight every single item you have, put them into an excel spreadsheet (if you have access to it) and become a gram weenie... you don't have to be an ultralighter... but you should know what it is you're asking your body to carry, and why... it's not until you see it in black and white that you realize what you're carrying... i did it and it was very "enlightening", both intellectually and physically... pun intended. but i was able to drop from 30lbs to under 20 very quickly, and then to under 15 lbs with a little more time and experience. in some cases, money=lighter, but mostly it's a mindset... challenge everything you carry and make it work twice as hard... that way you don't have to...

TooTall
11-28-2005, 20:17
Where do I get a guide book?
You can try any good outfitter. There are two REI stores around Detroit if you want to drive that far. You can also buy the Databook or Companion online (http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?storeId=8000&query=*&cat=40001102&vcat=REI_SEARCH:C) at REI.

I'll have to look into a light weight camera that I can send home to get developed there.
Target sells a very cheap plastic 35 mm camera (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-19/qid=1133108789/ref=sr_1_19/602-1311902-6653464?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B00069ZWJ4). It takes pretty good pictures, doesn't weight a lot and you can use regular 35mm film which you can mail home.

If that isn't too heavy maybe I'll just throw one in my cook set.
A P38 is about the size and weight of a small key. I keep one on my keychain.

I'll have to weight it on your standard bathroom weight scale.
Go to the post office and weigh the stuff there. They usually have a weight scale somewhere in the lobby for customers to use. You might also consider buying a digital 50lb fish scale (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0012974014817a&type=product&cmCat=Search_Results_NYR&returnString=Ntk=Products&QueryText=scale&Ne=2510&noImage=0&Ntt=scale&Ntx=matchall&N=3295&returnPage=search-results2.jsp).

Too Tall Paul

Husko
11-29-2005, 00:58
You can try any good outfitter. There are two REI stores around Detroit if you want to drive that far. You can also buy the Databook or Companion online (http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?storeId=8000&query=*&cat=40001102&vcat=REI_SEARCH:C) at REI.

Target sells a very cheap plastic 35 mm camera (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-19/qid=1133108789/ref=sr_1_19/602-1311902-6653464?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B00069ZWJ4). It takes pretty good pictures, doesn't weight a lot and you can use regular 35mm film which you can mail home.

A P38 is about the size and weight of a small key. I keep one on my keychain.

Go to the post office and weigh the stuff there. They usually have a weight scale somewhere in the lobby for customers to use. You might also consider buying a digital 50lb fish scale (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0012974014817a&type=product&cmCat=Search_Results_NYR&returnString=Ntk=Products&QueryText=scale&Ne=2510&noImage=0&Ntt=scale&Ntx=matchall&N=3295&returnPage=search-results2.jsp).

Too Tall Paul

That's some great advice thank you.

$29.00 !?!?! for that scale? heh I'm starting to break the bank with my gear.

I have a North Face pebble tent or a North Face Tadpole tend if anyone is interested in trading :) I'm serious...

Husko
11-29-2005, 01:12
Can I purchase an offical guide book or data book online?

Thanks

SGT Rock
11-29-2005, 01:17
ATC store. http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=457&compid=1.

rusty075
11-29-2005, 13:33
Husko,

Bill and Paul's, or EMS here in town usually carry the Data Book.

hammock engineer
11-29-2005, 14:59
Check out ebay for a postal scale. I haven't bought one off of there yet, but it is my next gear purchase. I saw some nice ones on their that went up to around 30 lbs with .5 oz acuracy. You can probibly get one for around $20-30. I checked Office Depot and they were around $50.

Footslogger
11-29-2005, 15:02
Just a thought on scales. If you are trying to weigh your entire pack it might be smarter to just use a bathroom scale. The smaller postal scales are best for weighing individual items and you can get them at Office Depot or Staples.

'Slogger

Skeemer
11-29-2005, 17:55
When it has to due with gear, always, and I mean always, listen carefully and head the advice of Footslogger, the hiker formally known as Toot. He saved my ass on at least two crucial items for which I will be etrnally grateful...if he wasn't so old, I'd write him into my will.

BTW, the other thing I did was follow a bunch of journals...one guy said he liked his bag (Feathered Friends) so much he kissed it every night. Same with the backpack (P1)...it goes on and on. I don't know if they're still doing it, but hikers would list their gear at their site, often updating and summarizing it after the hike.

Footslogger
11-30-2005, 13:06
[quote=Skeemer]When it has to due with gear, always, and I mean always, listen carefully and head the advice of Footslogger, the hiker formally known as Toot. He saved my ass on at least two crucial items for which I will be etrnally grateful...if he wasn't so old, I'd write him into my will.
============================
Flattery will get you everywhere Skeemer ...but go easy on the whole age thing. It may take me all night to do what I used to do all night ...but I still get the job done.

Now, on the subject of your will ....

'Slogger

rickb
11-30-2005, 14:26
A warm wool hat?

Marta
11-30-2005, 14:35
Have you gone out for any overnight hikes with your kit? That might help you clarify your thoughts on what you need and what you don't. It might also help you decide whether it's too heavy or not.

sliderule
12-06-2005, 13:53

Exactly what does one do with a compass when hiking a well-marked trail?

I suspect that the majority of compasses on the trail are in the possession of folks who are at all competent in their use. But they provide that "warm and fuzzy" sense of security anyway.

mweinstone
01-07-2006, 18:11
reuters news service...dateline mosambique...friday morning the remains of a grizzly bear were found by ranger doug mcneen on routine patrol near dawson creek ,yukon territory. at first officials were at a loss to exsplane the animals death until a call came in to a 911 operater from a father camping with his two sons at glacier lake campgrounds.the man reported having been atacked and fighting for his life with the bear positioning itself between the children the man lunged at the bears eyes with a nail file from a small nailclippers and blinded the bear witch went into the water ,became confused and drown.no charges were filed against the man for killing a protected animal.ranger mcneen at first did not think the 911 call and the dead bear were connected until the dunlop county coroners office released its report stating that the clippers were recovered in the remains of the grizzly.

archangelof2003
01-07-2006, 19:20
Maybe it's the Davy Crokett in me but I never even leave my house without a 3in. blade clipped in my pocket. But I do carry a modified nail clipper/bottle/can opener as well...you know...just in case. I think the best advise I've heard in this thread is to take your pack on a weekend or even overnight stay somewhere...even if it's to the Howard Johnsons. People are creatures of habit and get used to using different tools (we're so primitive when you think about it) and the only way you can really know what to take for sure is at least the items you used there. All else become "atrition" items. I spent a week in the Tetons and did'nt use half the stuff I took but the other half of the items I could'nt imagine being stranded without...

wyclif
01-14-2006, 02:04
As a newbie who apparently doesn't spend enough time near trash compactors, can someone explain to me what a "trash compactor bag" is (mentioned many times in this thread), why it is better than a pack rain cover (weight, I assume), and where to get one?

I've never seen these in an outfitter, and I've never used either a pack cover or a bag.

wyclif
01-14-2006, 02:10

I suspect that the majority of compasses on the trail are in the possession of folks who are at all competent in their use. But they provide that "warm and fuzzy" sense of security anyway.

I must agree with the earlier poster who insists that he wouldn't go on a hike w/o a compass. I'm the same way.

And as a land surveyor, I can assure you that I am very familiar with the use of a Suunto or any other kind of compass.

To answer your question, on a well-marked trail one keeps a compass in their pack. It's when you are off the blazed trails that you may need some navigational help.

If you intend never to leave the trail at all, more power to you!

Bblue
01-14-2006, 12:20
A trash compactor bag is available in the bag section of the super market or Costco. It is designed to line trash compactor kitchen units. It comes in a box of several like most plastic bags and is a heavier mil (thickness). It's just the right size to go inside your pack and weighs about 2.2 oz. Usually lasts for many miles. Most people prefer them to packcovers because they totally waterproof the stuff inside your pack.

A pack cover will protect the outside but not the part making contact with your back. And in a heavy rain you'd be surprised how much water makes it down between your back and your pack.

I'm working on a packcover with a hood attached. It's and experiment, but might resolve the problem.

Seeker
01-14-2006, 12:46
if you don't want to use a trash compactor bag, you can use a heavyweight trashbag like for leaves and yard waste. not as durable, but works fine. i use a smaller white kitchen garbage bag to keep my sleeping bag in. once my stuff is all inside my trash bags and pack, let it rain!

Bubble Toes
01-14-2006, 14:24
I agree with Seeker-
Line your pack with some sort of a plastic bag, I still carry a silnylon pack cover too but they only work to a point. Plastic with no holes ALWAYS works.

I love my silk sleeping bag liner. It kept me warmer and after months on the trail I don't have to toss my sleeping bag. They do keep your bag cleaner. Crawling into a freshly washed liner was always a nice treat!

Nokia
01-17-2006, 04:15
Although compasses are light and don't take up much room, you'll never need it. The trail is so well marked it's silly. I promise you it'll end up in your bump box by Erwin.

wyclif
01-17-2006, 04:36
Although compasses are light and don't take up much room, you'll never need it. The trail is so well marked it's silly. I promise you it'll end up in your bump box by Erwin.

I promise you my nice Suunto Finnish-made compass won't be placed in the bump box. :rolleyes:

Again, the issue is not how well-marked the trail is. The issue is what happens when you choose to leave the trail or go off on some side trail.

I completely understand why some don't want the extra weight, but as I go extremely light with everything else, the compass is my one luxury! I'm a land surveyor and am trained in the use of map scales, the compass, and even marine navigation using a sextant. I would never go into the wilderness without a compass. If that makes me a Boy Scout, then fine...

justusryans
01-17-2006, 08:43
I promise you my nice Suunto Finnish-made compass won't be placed in the bump box. :rolleyes:

Again, the issue is not how well-marked the trail is. The issue is what happens when you choose to leave the trail or go off on some side trail.

I completely understand why some don't want the extra weight, but as I go extremely light with everything else, the compass is my one luxury! I'm a land surveyor and am trained in the use of map scales, the compass, and even marine navigation using a sextant. I would never go into the wilderness without a compass. If that makes me a Boy Scout, then fine...

I agree. I carry a compass anytime I go hiking. Remember, you'll never need it... till ya do!

khaynie
01-17-2006, 09:22
If your going SOBO, I would recommend a bug net and 100% Deet. The bugs in Maine, depending on your departure date, are pretty annoying. My wife and I bathed in deet for the 1st couple of weeks of our SOBO thru hike. Something to consider...

longshank
01-17-2006, 14:24

Iodine is bad news for long term use...Check out the msr miox pen as a lightweight compact alternative...

RockyTrail
01-17-2006, 18:21

One prevents onself from starting as NOBO'er and becoming a SOBO'er (or vice-versa)...it happens:)

RockyTrail
01-17-2006, 18:27
Shelter:

This is a good little solo tent, especially for colder weather, I've used one for several years. It's a bit heavy compared to my tarptent, but those have little insulating value when it's really cold and windy.

wyclif
01-17-2006, 18:31
If your going SOBO, I would recommend a bug net and 100% Deet. The bugs in Maine, depending on your departure date, are pretty annoying. My wife and I bathed in deet for the 1st couple of weeks of our SOBO thru hike. Something to consider...

I would agree 100% that you are going to need a defense against black flies and mosquitos in Maine. You may not like the idea of DEET on your skin but there are alternatives out there you should check out.

I've seen some hikers use netting that covers their head and shrouds neck & shoulders to keep the little buggers out of your eyes and nose. For me it seems to be enough to use repellent and some kind of hat with a brim I can pull down to keep 'em away from my face. Works for me...

Fiddler
01-17-2006, 18:44

Exactly what does one do with a first aid kit when not injured?

Jack Tarlin
01-17-2006, 19:21
Good point, Fiddler.

Thousands of folks get lost in the woods every year.

Most of them end up just fine.

A few of them don't.

But they all have one thing in common.....none of them planned or intended on getting lost. Of course it's possible to hike on the A.T. without maps or compass, or the skills required to use them.

It's just not a particularly bright thing to do.

Wolfpaw
02-11-2006, 03:14
you can always pop into your local veternarians office they have a scale for weighing dogs and by te time they tell you no youll be done. on
Check out ebay for a postal scale. I haven't bought one off of there yet, but it is my next gear purchase. I saw some nice ones on their that went up to around 30 lbs with .5 oz acuracy. You can probibly get one for around $20-30. I checked Office Depot and they were around $50.

freefall
02-11-2006, 03:34

LMAO:jump Was thinking the same thing.

Twofiddy
02-16-2006, 16:26

Since you are hiking south, you will definatly have a different range of seasons to deal with than a NOBO... I'll go over your stuff for you all the same.

pack:
1. Osprey Crescent 90.
1. pack rain cover.

Way to much backpack for an AT Thruhike unless you are hiking in December, January, February.

Make sure the pack cover is sil-nylon and is less than 6 oz total. If not it is to heavy.

Shelter:
1. Silk bag liner

Tent is ok but there are others out there that are lighter. Consider just a tarp. Most of a SOBO hike wont see any competition for shelter space except when passing the NOBO crowd in NE.
No bag liner needed
Sleeping pad is a big decision. Definatly go inflateable in my opinion, how thick depends on how you sleep, and how much shelter platform you are going to lay on

Eat stuff:
1. Lexan spoon.

You dont need a 3 cup cookset, really a 1L pot is good enough.
You dont need the extra stove
You dont need 80oz of fuel. Really 20 will get you to and from every resupply point
You dont need a water filter except for CT/MA to PA/MD lines
Lexan spoon good choice

Clothing:
3. capeline underwear.

Try this instead. Hike in shorts. Hike Harder to stay warm during the daytime.
Carry 1 silk weight cap top long sleeve for day time and 1 short sleeve for day time hiking. Wear these every day, even if soaking wet, put them on in the morning and hike in them all day. Get hiking shorts with the mesh undies built in. Ditch the cap underwear. Keep the silk wt bottoms, but only for night time or shelter use when not hiking, and another camp shirt of your choice short or long sleeve for shelter and night time use. YOU MUST KEEP THESE DRY for them to be useful at night. I would get micro fleece gloves or stretch lycra/neopreen gloves. Try Mt Hardware or Serius for good gloves. I dont carry or hike with fleece any more. It sucks to carry it wet, it always gets wet because I sweat like a whore in church all the time even when it is cold, and it takes up to much space in the pack. Get a down vest. It is smaller, lighter, and it keeps the body core warm.

Rain gear:
1. EMS Thunderhead pant.

Rain pants must be used properly. I carry them for when the weather is bad, but never wear anything under them beside the shorts. Just hike harder! Rain Jacket is a preference thing. I usually dont carry or wear 1 unless it is below 35*

Other stuff:

1. Knife.
1. head LED lamp.
1. small first aid kit.
1. small compass.
2. bandanna's
[/quote]
LEKI LEKI LEKI
Make sure the knife is small and definatly carry 1
First aid kit needs to be be duct tape, a bandaid or 2, nail clippers, needle and thread (keep you needle inside your ink pen) and some pain killers of your choice. I take Narcs, and cut them down if it only hurts a little.
NO COMPASS and bandannas are great, just dont get confused on which one you wipe your bottom and top sides with (:-)

Otherwise looks like you got a good start.

Based on what you listed, if you have that stuff already, use it, just have a budget ready to get other stuff. You might have to buy online since there are not many outfitter stores in the North AT corridor that carry everything that is needed.

See my signature.

Twofiddy
02-16-2006, 16:30
Good point, Fiddler.

Thousands of folks get lost in the woods every year.

Most of them end up just fine.

A few of them don't.

But they all have one thing in common.....none of them planned or intended on getting lost. Of course it's possible to hike on the A.T. without maps or compass, or the skills required to use them.

It's just not a particularly bright thing to do.

Jack, Strip me naked on the coldest day of the year, any place except for the whites and the wilderness, and you can run to a road crossing in time to save your life and most of your limbs.

Really, summer time hiking on the AT, you dont need a compass. Unless you are a complete directional idiot, you just have to walk east or west and you will come to a road eventually. Hell, the 50% of the trail that parallells I81, just listen for the JAKE BRAKES and follow your ears and you will be just fine.

Twofiddy
02-16-2006, 16:33
I agree with Seeker-
Line your pack with some sort of a plastic bag, I still carry a silnylon pack cover too but they only work to a point. Plastic with no holes ALWAYS works.

I love my silk sleeping bag liner. It kept me warmer and after months on the trail I don't have to toss my sleeping bag. They do keep your bag cleaner. Crawling into a freshly washed liner was always a nice treat!

With the packing solutions that are out there today, just put everything inside of your pack inside its own sil nylon stuff sack. Have 1 for food, clothes, wet dirty clothes, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, medical first aid and other stuff etc. Use Ziplocks for organizing the medical, TP, food, etc. and things wont get wet. When you have a pack made of water proof material and you have a sil nylon pack cover on the outside, and everything on the inside inside of silnylon stuff sacks, it is gonna be hard to get stuff wet. Go swimming at a ford and even the garbage bag trick does not work well.

See my website for deals on granite gear Airline stuff sacks and accessories. Well worth the few $$ that the items cost.

Jack Tarlin
02-16-2006, 16:40
Actually, Fiddy, I probably agree with you in re. to the compass. (First off at least 95% of thru-hikers don't know how to use one anyway!)

However, I've maintained for years that I think it's best to carry maps, and nothing in the past ten years has made me change this view. And you don't have to be a "directional idiot" to get lost, either. It happens to folks more often than you think. What they all have in common, is none of them EXPECT it to happen. If you ask anyone who's been involved with Search and Rescue, I guarantee you they'll tell you the same thing: Most of the folks whose asses they end up saving either weren't carrying maps, or didn't know how to read the ones they had.

Twofiddy
02-16-2006, 20:40
Actually, Fiddy, I probably agree with you in re. to the compass. (First off at least 95% of thru-hikers don't know how to use one anyway!)

However, I've maintained for years that I think it's best to carry maps, and nothing in the past ten years has made me change this view. And you don't have to be a "directional idiot" to get lost, either. It happens to folks more often than you think. What they all have in common, is none of them EXPECT it to happen. If you ask anyone who's been involved with Search and Rescue, I guarantee you they'll tell you the same thing: Most of the folks whose asses they end up saving either weren't carrying maps, or didn't know how to read the ones they had.

So are we in agreement then Jack that in order to get "lost" in appalachia that you must be of the mindset that you are lost, instead of being of the mindset that no matter where you are out there you are probably less than 20 miles from a road in the east west directions, and really for us hikers, it is not hard to walk or even bushwack 20 miles over a 2 day period.

Jack Tarlin
02-16-2006, 21:18
We're not necessarily in agreement at all.....there are too many other factors.

In adverse weather conditions, or in horrible terrain, without maps how can one be sure which direction one is going in, or if one is going in a straight line? Also, in adverse weather conditions, one is not guaranteed of being able to hike 20 miles in two days. And what if one is injured? Are there streams or other bodies of water present that are unfordable or uncrossable?

Without maps, one has only a rough idea of where one is, and where one is going. Without them, you've no idea if you're heading towards easier terrain, or towards difficult ground. You'd have no idea if you were heading uphill or down. You don't know if you're making progress towards self-resue, or are merely going in circles. You'd have no idea where the water sources were. You'd have no idea if you were heading towards civilization and rescue, or were going in precisely the opposite direction. You'd have no idea where the roads were located, or if you were lucky enough to encounter a road or path, you'd have no idea whether to go left or right, and if that road or path forked, you'd have no idea which was the smart way to go. And lastly, without a map, if you'd left someone in your party, perhaps an injured friend, you'd have only a rough idea of where he was....it'd be difficult to direct rescuers to his position.

And most important, if you leave an established trail to bushwhack, and you get hurt in the process, you may have just killed yourself. In short, Fiddy, I think one should carry maps all the time, and I don't necessarily think that leaving the trail to bushwhack 20 miles is the wisest thing to do.

Could most hikers bushwhack 20 miles in two days if they had to? Probably.
But it doesn't mean they'd be sure of getting themselves out of the woods; they may well be heading in precisely the opposite direction of where they ought to be going; and they might find themselves injured and alone in the middle of nowhere.

Personally, I'd be very leery of bushwhacking long distances without a map,
and I wouldn't advise anyone else to do so either, unless there was no other alternative.

Sly
02-16-2006, 22:54
Looking at Jack's profile map is like asking him for a second shot of Jim Beam. Be prepared for a lecture, while having a good time.