PDA

View Full Version : Clothing for a GA/Deep Gap NC SOBO section in May

Lnj
08-19-2015, 12:44
I do know that if you can't wear everything you have at once, you have too much (except socks and undies). I do also know to layer, layer, layer. I just don't know how to best layer with the best pieces. I see rain gear as a definite, at least a top piece, but not sure of the best option there. Obviously, the lighter weight the better, but the whole idea is to stay relatively dry underneath it, so functionality would play a big part as well. This is planned to be an 8 day trip. Any advice on "Must Have" layers, brands, etc.? Keeping in mind, I'm a big girl. Has to be available in plus sizes.

Studlintsean
08-19-2015, 13:04
I do know that if you can't wear everything you have at once, you have too much (except socks and undies). I do also know to layer, layer, layer. I just don't know how to best layer with the best pieces. I see rain gear as a definite, at least a top piece, but not sure of the best option there. Obviously, the lighter weight the better, but the whole idea is to stay relatively dry underneath it, so functionality would play a big part as well. This is planned to be an 8 day trip. Any advice on "Must Have" layers, brands, etc.? Keeping in mind, I'm a big girl. Has to be available in plus sizes.

Here is what I brought on a trip in Mid May in the Roan Highland Area (I believe the temps were 70s during the day and upper 40s at night):

-REI Sahara T Shirt
-Capeline 3 1/4 zip Long Sleeve- Could have brought something a bit lighter
-Montbell Ex Light Jacket
-Marmot Precip Rain Jacket

Bottom
-Running Shorts
-Ex Officio Boxers
-Light Weight REI Base Layer Bottoms
- Sierra Designs Rain Pants

I also had a light beannie and used a 20 deg Western Mountaineering bag. I could have used a 40 degree bag but at the time my 20 deg was lighter than my Montbell 40 deg synthetic bag.

I hope this helps.

Gambit McCrae
08-19-2015, 13:10
I believe that for clothing everyone has to find what works best for themselves. As far as what I personally would wear in GA in May would be skin tight leggings, compression shorts(underwear), shorts over top, A short sleeve dry fit shirt hat and sunglasses.

I would carry in my pack- A camp shirt and maybe an extra pair of bottoms of your choice.

Here is what the actual and average temps were/ are for Helen GA in May (http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KGVL/2014/5/19/MonthlyHistory.html#calendar)

I don't think a lot of insulation would be appropriate and rain jackets just make you sweat if worn while hiking. Bring it, but don't expect it to not accumulate sweat in the sleeves.

illabelle
08-19-2015, 16:32
For a May trip in Georgia:

Hiking:
shorts
short-sleeved shirt (two, so I can alternate between fresh stink and stale stink)

Sleeping:
leggings
long-sleeved shirt
Sleeping clothes are not used for hiking, kept dry at all costs.

Rainwear:
rain pants (also good for morning/evening at camp if I'm too cold in shorts)
rain jacket (probably won't wear it in real light rain. sometimes just put hood on and wear like a cape)

Other:
fleece vest, just because I like it
down or fleece jacket (useful in camp, and also supplements warmth inside sleeping bag)
socks (maximum 5 pair: 2 liners, 3 regular - 1 of these for sleeping only)
undies (full support underwire bra for hiking, nothing or a comfy cotton thing for sleeping; panties - varies a lot, 1-a-day, 1-every-other-day, panty liners...bought some of the merino wool panties, but I'm not sure about them yet)