PDA

View Full Version : You heard it here first!

Aaron l
08-19-2015, 14:24
aerogel is about to hit the market and this will change everything from packs to insulation. It's a new plastic substance that is in gel form and when it dries the liquid is replaced with gas making it the least dense substance on earth! Right there has been some trouble with nasa making available, but when it does become available keep an eye on kickstarter for products popping up. Any one else as excited as me about this?

rocketsocks
08-19-2015, 14:29
I'll save my excitement for the pre price point press party.

Kenai
08-19-2015, 14:56
CamelBak uses in in their Podium Ice, bike water bottle. Ultra lightweight and superior insulative properties. Got to put my thinking cap on and see what cool stuff can be made with it.
Nice find Aaron l.

madgoat
08-20-2015, 04:40
It would be great if somebody find a way to market it at a good price point. But in this day and age of $500+ sleeping bags and jackets, anything is possible.

Aerogel has come to market already in everything from sleeping pads, boot insoles, and a whole line of clothing from Champion.

So far, the benefits of aerogel has not outweighed it's price.... So hopefully this latest round is more attractively priced.

Franco
08-20-2015, 07:29
"aerogel is about to hit the market and this will change everything from packs to insulation"
ben doing that since at least 2006
http://forums.backpacker.com/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-on-aerogel-as-an-insulator-8707332/

Franco
08-20-2015, 07:32
BTW , and you hear this here first, Aerogel was invented in 1931

rafe
08-20-2015, 08:30
Yup, I think I first heard about this magical stuff a couple years ago. I'll take it seriously when a real, affordable product makes it to market.

Aaron l
08-20-2015, 10:54
Oh wow had no idea it had been around so long, or it was already being used in some products! I think it being so expensive to produce that might have been keeping it kinda nasa exclusive. Hard to imagine this being around in 1931, I can't wait to see the first bike frame made outta this stuff!

Aaron l
08-20-2015, 11:04
And yeah people have been talking about it for a long time, but it has not been readily available for us the people to poke around with,but I guess it is possible that you haven't heard it here first

Aaron l
08-20-2015, 11:13
Thanks for the proper poopooing Franco, have you had any experience using this stuff?

Wülfgang
08-20-2015, 11:22
If or when it ever becomes commercially available I bet it will be cost prohibitive. Similar to Cuben but worse.

Feral Bill
08-20-2015, 14:51
I have some winter boots insulated with this stuff. I bought them a couple of years ago. They are very light, not crazy expensive, and no where near as warm as advertised. In a better designed boot (thicker layer of Aerogel) it might be fabulous. http://www.salomon.com/us/product/toundra-mid-wp.html

Franco
08-20-2015, 17:32
"Thanks for the proper poopooing Franco, have you had any experience using this stuff?"
Every year or so someone posts about this "new" wonderful product.
Several years ago I posted why it isn't (so far) all that wonderful for backpacking stuff but given the wow factor it has on some I will not bother doing it again.

Franco
08-20-2015, 21:42
This thread might give a better idea :
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/14299-Aerogel-Now-available-in-blanket-form
BTW, another product in addition to the one Feral Bill mentioned was the PO Hyper High MTN sleeping pad.(2007)
From a review :
An R-value of 20 was given for those sections of the pad that utilize aerogel, and a value of R 8 elsewhere on the pad
Well it wasn't anywhere near R20 and I haven't seen other mats with Aerogel since

Aaron l
08-31-2015, 07:37
I was thinking more on the lines of cookware, I saw a picture of a disc of aerogel floating on a Bunsen burner. And if it starts as a liquid you can form it into any shape

Malto
08-31-2015, 08:01
I was thinking more on the lines of cookware, I saw a picture of a disc of aerogel floating on a Bunsen burner. And if it starts as a liquid you can form it into any shape

Why would you want highly insulated cookware?

Traveler
08-31-2015, 08:06
Why would you want highly insulated cookware?

I was wondering that myself, thanks for asking!

Franco
08-31-2015, 22:20
Highly insulated and brittle cookware.
Sounds good to me, can't wait for it !

Aaron l
09-01-2015, 10:39
So you don't burn your hands on your hot food filled bowl

Aaron l
09-01-2015, 10:43
But I get it, it's not that impressive, thanks guys

Aaron l
09-01-2015, 11:10
Highly insulated and brittle cookware.
Sounds good to me, can't wait for it !

If tarptent came out with an aerogel bowl that kept your food hot and didn't burn your hands you'd be giving out your trademark tarptent sales pitch enema

Malto
09-01-2015, 11:57
So you don't burn your hands on your hot food filled bowl

You mean like like coozy made from metalizzed bubble wrap that cost me nothing.

clothing or quilt, figure out a better mousetrap that reasonably affordable and it may be attractive. Cookware, hardly.

Franco
09-01-2015, 18:51
"If tarptent came out with an aerogel bowl that kept your food hot and didn't burn your hands you'd be giving out your trademark tarptent sales pitch enema"

That would not be a pot but a bowl and yes if the product works for me I endorse it.
I know that must sound odd to you but that is the way I am.