PDA

View Full Version : North to South.

Husko
11-26-2005, 19:13
Hope I'm not beating a dead horse but my question is: why so many people hike from South to North?

This is just a quick list I've made up after a couple of sparadic years of reading about the trail both here on whiteblaze and other places. This is my first post about this subjet and hope you are eager to share your thoughts. Is it really all that bad?

1. Starting out North to South is harder on the body.
2. Less people start North to South and not many people you can hook up with.
3. The bugs are terrible if you start North to South.
4. Water sources can be a problem for some reason when you get around Penn.
5. You have less time to finish the trail if you start North to South.
6. You are less welcome by towns after the rush of North bounders.
7. You may have more encounters with bears early if you start North to South.
8. You have to deal with hunters in the southern states if you hike North to South.
9. You will freeze your nuggets off in the start of the North to South Trail.

Of course, I do not share any of these opinions because I haven't even hiked the trail yet. Looks like I'm going to have a rough SOBO trip. :datz

Jack Tarlin
11-26-2005, 19:26
The main reason that most folks go North is because they can start in March or April, in springlike conditions. The weather is usually wonderful, the springflowers are out, there are no bugs.

If you go Southbound, in most cases, you'll not be starting til June. You'll have in all likelihood a pretty rough early insect season up North, in addition to tackling two very difficult states at the very outset of your trip.

You'll also be hiking, in most cases til November or December, meaning your fall will be cold and wet in many places, as opposed to finishing in Maine in September or October, when the leaves are changing and the weather is usually great.

Hiking South also means fewer interaction withother hikers, and for many folks, the social aspects of the thru-hike are one of the great joys of their trip.

On the other hand, SOBO's get more time to themselves, there's always a spot for them at a shelter, and they tend to develop really close friendships with hiking companions.....the very fact that there are fewer of them seems to make for stronger friendships.

In short, you'll be fine no matter which way you go.....have a great trip!

Askus3
11-26-2005, 21:27
One major overlooked item not listed.

10. There are virtually no bridges across streams on the Appalachian Trail in Maine. As a result, since the snow melt is going on into early June, the streams that the AT crosses are swollen. This makes those crossings very challenging and extremely cold. It is alot different crossing a stream that is ankle deep versus hip deep. And when you are in the Hundred Mile Wilderness it is along way from help when this problem occurs and you have trouble with the fords. Of course if there is a wet September, it could be frustrating to be so close to Katahdin to encounter some problems from fording the streams then.

By the way #5 is a problem in NY/NJ & PA equally for both direction hikers. I as a trail angel deliver water regularly to the Wildcat Shelter which is th first shelter northbound in NY.

rickb
11-27-2005, 11:29
1. Starting out North to South is harder on the body.

But gentler on the soul?

2. Less people start North to South and not many people you can hook up with.

Some 200 people start SOBO each year. My guess its that you will have plenty of company when you want it, as well as the opportunity to be alone. The oportunity to be alone isn't something that offers itsef up a lot in life.

3. The bugs are terrible if you start North to South.

I hear the ticks are worse for North bounders. In any event, bugs are better when it cools off at night or when you are walking/camping up high. Just make sure you have deet and a head net.

4. Water sources can be a problem for some reason when you get around Penn.

The biggest problem with water is not having it exactly where you expect it. For example it you arrive at a shelter and are surprised to find the spring has dried up. You will be asking those going north about that a lot. Not a big deal, though. Just carry a Platypus and pay attention.

5. You have less time to finish the trail if you start North to South.

North bounders have their own schedule issues. I think this is a wash. At least the Smokies don't close!

6. You are less welcome by towns after the rush of North bounders.

But you will welcome the towns!

7. You may have more encounters with bears early if you start North to South.

Not true. Bears aren't a problem, they are a joy. When you see your first one (probably not until NJ) you will be happy to do so.

8. You have to deal with hunters in the southern states if you hike North to South.

Hunter are OK. The odds are you won't get shot. Wear orange.

9. You will freeze your nuggets off in the start of the North to South Trail.

No more than the NOBOs, I bet.

A lot of SOBOs elected that direction because the had no other choice. I don't know of any who regretted their decision, though.

saimyoji
11-27-2005, 11:35
Wasn't the original journey done So>No? Who was that guy anyway?

Husko
11-28-2005, 19:06
Thanks everyone, and thanks rickboudrie. Informative and a great way to look at things. :clap

I can handle bugs. Where I usually hike, black flies are a problem but only on the beaches and open areas. As soon as you run into the woods and beat off the little buggers they leave and then you have to prepare for the musketoo assault.

Many times I used to stand on the outskirts of a 1/2 to 1 mile open area and prepared for the rushed walk and assault of black flies until I got to the other side of the open area and back into the woods. many times I would have about 10 black flies on my legs as I rushed with a 70 pound pack. Using my hat to kill the little bastards as fast as I could. I can almost bear the pain of the bites on the legs but man... the swarms that buz around the back of your head and land in your head just about drive me insane. But again. Once in the woods they decide it's time to high tail it outta there. I wonder why?

Is this how black flies behave in most other places?

Husko
11-28-2005, 19:07
forgive my spelling :D

TJ aka Teej
11-28-2005, 21:32
Wasn't the original journey done So>No? Who was that guy anyway?

Myron Avery was the first 2000 miler. Completed the A.T. in sections, pushing a measuring wheel, finishing on Katahdin.
Earl Shaffer was the first to thru-hike, going northbound.
Chester Dziengielewski was the third thru-hiker, going southbound in '51.

Trivia question: who was the second to thru-hike?

Lone Wolf
11-28-2005, 21:35
Gene Espy.

Husko
11-28-2005, 23:19
1951 - Gene Espy becomes second thruhiker; Chester Dziengielewski and Martin Papendick are the first southbound thruhikers

:banana

Husko
11-28-2005, 23:30
Myron Avery was the first 2000 miler. Completed the A.T. in sections, pushing a measuring wheel, finishing on Katahdin.
Earl Shaffer was the first to thru-hike, going northbound.
Chester Dziengielewski was the third thru-hiker, going southbound in '51.

Trivia question: who was the second to thru-hike?

is section hikes considered thru hikes? If so then then I say Chester was the second to thru hike. :eek:

Ah man, look at me. I'm already getting caught up in the logistics of things.

Mr. Clean
11-30-2005, 06:23
Mosquitos are maddening here in Maine in June and can drive you absolutely friggin' nuts if you allow them to. Must have Deet, nothing else is satisfactory. I've heard that headnets help, but haven't tried one yet.

Kerosene
11-30-2005, 09:39
Headnets certainly help, but they can feel a touch claustrophobic as you're huffing your way up a steep mountain. I found it amazing that the 'skeeters seemed to disappear as soon as I put the headnet on, but after a few minutes of heavy breathing they sense your exhalations again and start prancing around the outside of the netting. You'll still need DEET on the other parts of your body.

rickb
11-30-2005, 14:16
Once in the woods they decide it's time to high tail it outta there. I wonder why?

Perhaps they are gathering in mass to migrate up to the Maine woods?

Apart from deet and the mandatory head net, you might want to make sure you have a mosquito resistant long sleeve shirt and pants that are comfortable when its hot out-- and when you are building up your own steam on the Trail.

On my short hikes, I go so far as taking garden gloves for bug protection.

You will manage fine, though.

If you run out of food, a pound of mosquito bellies can be very filling.

On a more positive note, I think you will discover that the bug population in Maine varies with your precise location. I'm still not sure if Maine is a mountainous state or a low-lying swampy one. Plus, the bugs can't bother you much all that the middle of a torrential downpour!