PDA

View Full Version : Section Hiking in July

jilleann
08-19-2015, 17:02
I am section hiking the trail from Springer to Grayson Highlands in July of 2016. Was wondering if anyone out there has done a hike that late in the year. If so how is it different from starting in March?? Unfortunately my job only lets me have 2 months a year. So I have decided it may take me 4 years, but I will complete the trail. As I have been reading everything I can get my hands on, this is not really considered Hiking the AT.:( It may be a long shot but just maybe someone out there has some insight as to what I am getting into???? Thanks

squeezebox
08-19-2015, 17:50
What do you mean It's not hiking the AT? It's section hiking but not thru hiking. Read some of the stuff from folks that took many many years to finish the whole trail. And you don't have to finish the whole trail. Do what makes you happy.

wannahike
08-19-2015, 18:27
Read this trail journal http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=501640.
She hiked this summer and it sounds like she had a great hike.
It's hotter but you are from FL, so the heat and humidity is not so bad and the water is warmer for swimming.

jilleann
08-19-2015, 19:01
Thank you very much for the link, I will read it.

rafe
08-19-2015, 19:08
Your plan is called section hiking and it's no less "hiking the AT" than thru-hiking (doing it all in one year.)

I can't advise you too much on your first hike itinerary except to suggest that it will be hot. And relatively un-crowded, so that's a good thing. You won't encounter too many thru-hikers. Almost none of the northbounders (they'll all be long gone) and just a handful of the fastest southbounders.

rafe
08-19-2015, 19:14
I amend that last post. I'd guess you'd meet almost no southbounders, since most of 'em start from the northern terminus in June and July. You may run into section hikers, weekenders, scout troops (etc.) and folks out for jogs or strolls near trailheads.

Sarcasm the elf
08-19-2015, 19:17
As I have been reading everything I can get my hands on, this is not really considered Hiking the AT.

You need to read something better. The Appalachian Trail was never designed with the intention of it being thru-hiked.

Somewhere between 1,000,000-1,500,000 people hike on the A.T. each year, around 3,000 wanna-be thru hikers start the trail each year and less than 1,000 finish, until about 10-15 years ago there were far fewer thru hikers than that

Start by looking up (the wikipedia articles are actually a great place to start and fairly detailed):
Benton MacKaye
Myron Avery
History of the Appalachian trail (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Trail)

Remember the plaque at Springer mountain says "A footpath for those who seek fellowship with the wilderness. It doesn't say "Maine or bust." That was intentional.

rafe
08-19-2015, 19:20
+1 to Elf's post. Every word of it. You need to read "something better."

rjjones
08-19-2015, 20:03
Wow,500 mile hiking the AT only to find i wasnt hiking the AT.Ugh
Just hike and have fun.:eek:

bigcranky
08-20-2015, 06:59
1. As noted above, you are "section hiking." That's how many, if not most, hikers complete the trail.

2. When you complete the Trail, you become a "2000 Miler" -- note that it doesn't matter how long that takes, whether you set the new fastest known time, or take 20 or 30 years to do it. Everyone who completes the Trail is the same.

3. Section hiking is in some ways more difficult that thru-hiking, both in logistics (getting to and from the trail), and in getting in shape each year. In your case, having a couple of months at a time will be a huge help, rather than just a week every year.

4. I have hiked that section several times, most of it in the summer months, and July is a fine time to go. It'll be warm, but cooler than down in the valleys. It can get a little chilly at night, and you'll have scattered afternoon thunderstorms most days. Of course there will be other hikers out on the trail, but the thru-hikers should be long gone by July. The trail itself won't be crowded, though some of the shelters might be, especially on weekends in popular areas. You won't need to carry as much cold weather gear, so your pack will be lighter (but still, bring a fleece sweater and a lightweight hat and gloves).

Have fun with the planning and the hike.

daddytwosticks
08-20-2015, 07:18
Hot and humid, especially at lower elevations on the trail. Be prepared to be wet most of the time, from either sweat or thunderstorms. The rain feels way better! Take advantage of dry times to air out your gear. Refresh yourself at every water opportunity. Have a great hike.

full conditions
08-20-2015, 07:30
I want to echo daddytwostick's advice and add that getting a very early start to your day will help with dealing with the heat. During my last section hike, we were getting up around 5:00 am and were on the trail by 6:00 at the latest - but we were finished by noon or so every day. It made a huge difference with my comfort level.

Berserker
08-20-2015, 12:26
Crap, and I thought the 1,300+ miles I've done of the AT so far were actual hiking of the AT...guess I was wrong and I apparently suck...just kidding of course :D.

As others have stated you are going to section hike, and it's actually a great way of doing the trail. I have not thru hiked, and when I first started section hiking I felt as though I was inferior in some way. Turns out that 8 years into this sucker the section hiking is proving to be a lot harder than I initially thought. When thru hiking if one stays healthy and motivated it appears to actually be an "easier" way of completing the trail. Coming back to it several years in a row and doing sections has many other challenges such as staying in shape, getting the time off, less of flexibility, etc.

Anyway, the main positive of section hiking is that when I'm starting to get burned out on too much rain, too much heat, too many bugs, being nasty for several days straight or any combination of those my hike is usually coming to an end, and I can look forward to the next one.

As for the section you are doing, as stated by others it'll likely be hot and humid. You won't be in the middle of the thru bubble, which will be nice, but I'd still expect a decent crowd here and there. It's a good time though as you'll not have to carry much warm weather clothing, and the bugs in this area aren't too bad in the summer (relatively speaking compared to other parts of the AT).

jilleann
08-20-2015, 16:55
I am now truly looking forward to my new venture. I am really glad that you are here to answer questions and offer encouraging words of wisdom. Thank you :)

Cookerhiker
08-21-2015, 16:29
Does your job restrict your vacation time to summer (e.g. teaching)? If not, why not start early September to avoid the worst of the heat? You'll see fall foliage, perhaps more so if you hike this stretch SOBO.