PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah Sectional Advice

Boo-Yah
08-19-2015, 22:41
I want to take a short hike maybe 3 or 4 days, to warmup for hike two months later of AT Smokey Mountain's section. What would be a smaller section to cover that would be interesting and nice hike to continue to build hiking stamina? I was also considering hiking south of Fontana Dam, then on continuing hike 2 months later to hike Smokies. But I heard VA was good place to get feet wet:)

juniorace
08-19-2015, 22:53
When are you thinking about going on your short hike?

Boo-Yah
08-19-2015, 23:18
When are you thinking about going on your short hike?

In the spring, we are doing smoky's first of June, i know that is long way away, but smoky hike will not be easy so I am setting up my days off, weekends this fall and next spring to prepare my old beat up body.

I have gotten much stronger and better hiking shape over the last month, but no where ready yet.

Studlintsean
08-20-2015, 08:47
I'd recommend starting at Thornton Gap and hiking south to Swift Run Gap. Not sure on the mileage off the top of my head. If you have time , take the salamander trail off the AT to the summit of Hawksbill. Sharon Shuttles on the ATC shuttle list (Google) is a great shuttle option for the park.

Ktaadn
08-20-2015, 10:20
I'd recommend starting at Thornton Gap and hiking south to Swift Run Gap. Not sure on the mileage off the top of my head. If you have time , take the salamander trail off the AT to the summit of Hawksbill. Sharon Shuttles on the ATC shuttle list (Google) is a great shuttle option for the park.

I second this. That section is great and so is Sharon.

full conditions
08-20-2015, 10:30
I would probably steer clear of the section immediately south of Fontana Dam as a practice hike unless you are already fairly fit - the 30 miles between Fontana and the Nantahala River is very difficult terrain - more difficult (IMHO) than any 30 mile portion of the AT in the Smokies.

Studlintsean
08-20-2015, 10:32

The distance is 34.6 miles according to ATdist.com

Boo-Yah
08-20-2015, 10:40
The distance is 34.6 miles according to ATdist.com

That might be perfect, what type of elevation we talking? I plan to hammock camp, good hanging possibilities?

johnnybgood
08-20-2015, 12:52
That might be perfect, what type of elevation we talking? I plan to hammock camp, good hanging possibilities?

Big climb out the gate , once on the ridgeline nothing to compare with that first climb. Hammock options are plentiful.

Ktaadn
08-20-2015, 15:53
The first climb it tough, but I really like the engineering of the trail on that climb. I wish I had gone to engineering school...