PDA

View Full Version : Trail name longevity

Frosty
11-27-2005, 00:17
I gather from reading this and other forums that people keep trail names forever. Does anyone here let new namesfind them every so often?

My first trail name was Tigger, picked up in 1991 on a long section hike. About five year after that,on another section hike, I was christened Frosty,which I liked better. So much so that I kept it when I attempted a thru this year rather than let a name findme.

Next year I will likely attempt another thruhike, and I am undecided about a trail name. I belong to a bunch of hiking lists under "Frosty" and people know me by sight with that name. Also, while a new name would be exciting, being named Booger or something like that would sure take the bloom off the rose real quick.

Still, the concept of a trail name,giving one an anonymous hike seems to mandate a new name each thru. And a name given to one that has meaning is also appealing, with a bit of Native AMerican overtones.

ANyone here let newnames find themevery so often?

MOWGLI
11-27-2005, 07:49
Only a handful of people refer to me by my trailname any more - and those were the folks I hked with. More people now know me by my screenname, which is an old nickname from my days at Verizon, or my real name.

If & when I do another long trail - probably the PCT - I doubt I'd refer to myself as Little Bear. That was long ago and far away. But who knows??

saimyoji
11-27-2005, 11:27
Since trails names that 'find you' on the hike represent some aspect of your idiosyncracies, or one unfortunate moment, wouldn't using the same trail name from a previous hike serve to define some aspects of the new hike?

Did that make any sense? :-?

Curt
11-27-2005, 11:37
When I started section hiking the AT 16 years ago my trail name was Lefty. A couple of years later while resting at NOC another hiker named me Papa Smurf. I kept that name until I found out there were other Papa Smurfs on the AT. Before I thru-hiked the AT in 1999 I decided I was not going to allow anyone to give me a trail name so I selected Corsican as my name and this is the trail name I still use and will use until I cannot longer hike or until I die on the AT.

jackiebolen
11-27-2005, 13:53
I was wondering that too. I kind of like "Tell it like it is" but it's also a bit long and I don't know if I'd want to introduce myself as that to people when I long-distance hike again. To stick with it or let the trail give me another one? The dilemna.

Panzer1
11-27-2005, 14:32
I named myself "Panzer" because I always had a big interest in World War 2, which my father and uncles fought in on the side of America and Great Britian. I grew up hearing many war stories and subconsciously linked the stories with adventure. I also associated long distance hiking with adventure. Never having been in the military myself, I studied WWII in great depth. It became my hobby. tanks in particular and especially World War 2 era German tanks. So this is how I came to name myself Panzer. Now that I have this name and people know me by it, I don't expect to ever change it.

Panzer

weary
11-27-2005, 15:58
I gather from reading this and other forums that people keep trail names forever. Does anyone here let new namesfind them every so often?
My first trail name was Tigger, picked up in 1991 on a long section hike. About five year after that,on another section hike, I was christened Frosty,which I liked better. So much so that I kept it when I attempted a thru this year rather than let a name findme.
Next year I will likely attempt another thruhike, and I am undecided about a trail name. I belong to a bunch of hiking lists under "Frosty" and people know me by sight with that name. Also, while a new name would be exciting, being named Booger or something like that would sure take the bloom off the rose real quick.
Still, the concept of a trail name,giving one an anonymous hike seems to mandate a new name each thru. And a name given to one that has meaning is also appealing, with a bit of Native AMerican overtones.
ANyone here let newnames find themevery so often?

Well Baltimore Jack suggests "Old Bore," best describes me. Since that seems no worse than "Weary," I'm pondering a change.

Hammock Hanger
11-27-2005, 16:22
I am attached to my name, I like it and most folks know me by it. On the other hand there are places that I will be unable to hammock on the Florida Trail and possibly on the PCT, so what then "Hammock Hanger Who Sleeps in Tent"!!! ;) When I am on the water kayaking I am known as Dagonfly, maybe I could change over to that or just let a new name find me... but I feel like Hammock Hanger...

Mags
11-27-2005, 19:11
My trail name is also my "real world" nickname that has been used by someone in my family now for 80 years or so (at least). It is what I am called at work, on the trail and by friends. Also helps my brothers have the same nickname as well...

Suspect it will be around for a while yet...

Paul "Mags" Magnanti

(back from Utah..wotta weekend...)

SGT Rock
11-27-2005, 19:21
It's your name. Do what you want.

lilmountaingirl
11-27-2005, 20:20
Hey Tom! Long time, no see...I was hoping to run into you at the Gathering...but alas, I didn't see anyone twirling on the Green.

Anyhoo...I'm still "trail name" free as of right now. I've used LMG as my sign on for a long time...so that's what people know me as (and technically it IS a trailname that I did get on a dayhike on the AT 10 years ago). I've had people alter it from lilmountaingirl to lilmountaingoat, lilmotorgirl, lilmountainmadness, among others. ;) It's all good but I suspect I'll end up with a new name on the AT in '06. I'm kind of looking forward to it.

BTW...glad to hear you are still planning on hiking. Last I read you weren't sure. :)

neo
11-27-2005, 21:48
my original name was recon,i probally should stuck with it,a lot of my old hiking buddies still call me recon:cool: neo

Frosty
11-28-2005, 00:50
Well Baltimore Jack suggests "Old Bore," best describes me. Since that seems no worse than "Weary," I'm pondering a change.Well, if you changed the spelling to "Ol' Boar" you'd be fine. Plus, it could be worse. Old Bore is better than Old Boor.

smokymtnsteve
11-28-2005, 00:52
and sometimes Ur trail name gets longer ,

isn;t that rite

Chocolate Frosty??? :p

Frosty
11-28-2005, 00:57
Hey Lethal Methane Gas! Howya doin'?

I keep missing you. Maybe on the trail. I'm starting March 1, but will have to get off for a month or two around May-June, so maybe we will run into each other after that. (If I recall correctly you are starting mid-Aprl, right?)

Hey Tom! Long time, no see...I was hoping to run into you at the Gathering...but alas, I didn't see anyone twirling on the Green.

Anyhoo...I'm still "trail name" free as of right now. I've used LMG as my sign on for a long time...so that's what people know me as (and technically it IS a trailname that I did get on a dayhike on the AT 10 years ago). I've had people alter it from lilmountaingirl to lilmountaingoat, lilmotorgirl, lilmountainmadness, among others. ;) It's all good but I suspect I'll end up with a new name on the AT in '06. I'm kind of looking forward to it.

BTW...glad to hear you are still planning on hiking. Last I read you weren't sure. :)

Footslogger
11-28-2005, 12:39
Well ...if you've known me long enough you'd remember that once upon a time I was called "Toot" (use your imagination). But, when it came time for my thru in 2003 I decided that I wanted a trail name with which I could identify and I wanted it to be one that I gave to myself.

I did a lot of web searching and landed on the name FOOTSLOGGER, which is a word that dates back to medevil times and refers to the "foot soldier". Since I'm an old Airborne Infantryman the name seemed to fit and I've been the "Footslogger" ever since ...and most likely will be for the rest of my days.

As time went on during my thru though some of my trail family shortened it to 'Slogger, which seems to have stuck.

ergo ...FOOTSLOGGER to the masses but 'Slogger to my friends.

saimyoji
11-28-2005, 13:00
Didn't you have major toenail problems on one of your hikes?

Model-T
11-28-2005, 13:15
:banana I've had my (same) trail name for the past 16 years. It has become an alter ego of sorts, glued to my psyche like new chewing gum to a Vibram sole, known to hundreds of hikers, and proudly rolled out like a vintage auto when the occasion presents itself. I'd be a stranger to myself and many others if I weren't Model-T. But then, who else would want to be a Model-T!
Model-T

Footslogger
11-28-2005, 13:15
Didn't you have major toenail problems on one of your hikes?
==================================
Not sure who you're question is addressed to but if it was me ...NO. I didn't have any major toenail issues. The soles of my feet got mighty sore coming through PA but I was able to manage by massaging in some Aspercreme every night.

I did, on the other hand, have pretty serious kidney stone disease on my thru in 2003 that required surgery when I got back home.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
11-28-2005, 13:21
:banana I've had my (same) trail name for the past 16 years. It has become an alter ego of sorts, glued to my psyche like new chewing gum to a Vibram sole, known to hundreds of hikers, and proudly rolled out like a vintage auto when the occasion presents itself. I'd be a stranger to myself and many others if I weren't Model-T. But then, who else would want to be a Model-T!
Model-T

Holy Cow! Model T is posting here on WhiteBlaze. I can't wait to read your new book. I'm hoping Santa brings me a copy this year.:sun

Tin Man
11-28-2005, 14:06
Holy Cow! Model T is posting here on WhiteBlaze. I can't wait to read your new book. I'm hoping Santa brings me a copy this year.:sun

Awesome. I see he plans to start a 2006 thruhike on April 1.

Uncle Silly
11-28-2005, 16:15
I kind of like "Tell it like it is" but it's also a bit long and I don't know if I'd want to introduce myself as that to people when I long-distance hike again.

Acronym! Acronym! You could keep it and go with "TILII" or the like. I met a fellow doing trail magic whose name was Taba -- There And Back Again. Several other folks used long trail names and typically shortened them to acronyms -- TDS for Totally Different Subject, for one.