PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on boots

Arden
08-20-2015, 12:48
I know there are a thousand threads/blogs on boots, but I am looking for some specific information here:

Before I consider any pair of boots, I need to know is what constitutes a "light to medium" weight pack or a "heavy" pack.
Reason I need to know, is that in my research into boots, I have found that they are generally rated for a range of pack weight. Many of boots with synthetic uppers (which I prefer), are rated for light to medium weight packs. But I realize that pack weight is only part of the equation - body weight should also be considered.

So let me give you my specifics:
I weight about 150 lbs.
My max pack weight will be 35 lbs.
I will be hiking distances from 50 to 150 miles.

I currently own a pair of Asolo boots which I am pretty sure are rated for a heavy pack. These boots have high leather uppers and Vibram outsoles. They are very supportive. The only reason I need new boots is that the outsoles are worn, so I no longer feel confident on slippery surfaces.

I would like to purchase a pair of boots with synthetic uppers, as they usually don't require much of a break-in period.
I have totally flat feet, and have been using "Superfeet" insoles in all my shoes and boots.
I don't really want to spend more than $150, but if I have to spend $200 on a pair of boots that will fit me comfortably, and last a long time. My Asolos are still usable after 15 years, but that is kind of irrelevant, since what really matters is the amount of use the boots have seen. I guess I haven't hiked more than 500 miles in the boots.
On the other hand, my brother has a pair of boots on which the outsoles were separating from the uppers, while both parts were in great shape - so I guess the method used to attach one part to another is important - glues dry out over time?

Thanks

Arden

changed
08-20-2015, 21:50
Ditch the boots, get trail runners.

BirdBrain
08-20-2015, 23:02
I doubt weight will be a factor. I weigh more than you and your pack combined and I use trail runners.

misprof
08-20-2015, 23:19
I don't do trail runners because of my ankles and I like boots. If your ankles are use to leather boots I would do some strength exercises for them even if you go to synthetic/fabric uppers. Have you thought of replacing the outsole of your Aslo's. If the outsole is stitched you can get that part replaced. Next, go to an outfitters tell them what you are carrying and what type of trails you are expecting and your budget. They should steer you right. On telling them your budget I would say 20 dollars less then your true budget as most salesmen will show you things just slightly out of your budget.

Traveler
08-21-2015, 08:13
This question of boots or trail runners is one of personal nature, I doubt you'll find two opinions that agree. If you like the Asolo boots but just lack confidence in their grip due to wear, you can have them resoled. Dave Page Cobbler (Seattle, WA) is probably one of the best choices for doing this. Takes only a few weeks (depending on when he gets them) and you'll pay for shipping, but the quality of his work is outstanding and should bring back the boot to original sole. He will tell you on receipt of the boot if the original sole can be used or if a different type of Vibram sole has to be used due to wear on the boot. At that point you'll have a decision to make.

Arden
08-24-2015, 16:01
This question of boots or trail runners is one of personal nature, I doubt you'll find two opinions that agree. If you like the Asolo boots but just lack confidence in their grip due to wear, you can have them resoled. Dave Page Cobbler (Seattle, WA) is probably one of the best choices for doing this. Takes only a few weeks (depending on when he gets them) and you'll pay for shipping, but the quality of his work is outstanding and should bring back the boot to original sole. He will tell you on receipt of the boot if the original sole can be used or if a different type of Vibram sole has to be used due to wear on the boot. At that point you'll have a decision to make.
I think I'll check into that option. The uppers of the Asolos are in good condition - need water-proofing of course.
As for trail runners - I had asked that question a month or two ago when I was considering merging my hiking boots with my trail runners. I was advised that the trail runners would not have sufficient support for carrying a pack. So I just bought a new pair of trail runners - Merrill All-Out Peak. After running on a part of the Long Path in NJ - where the trail is very easy - I don't think I would want to do any serious hiking in those shoes. At least I would need a heavier shoe with more support.

BirdBrain
08-24-2015, 16:28
Boot vs shoe vs sandals vs whatever is a personal choice. The choice is often driven by a function of the foot, not the footwear. That is why I answered as I did above. Weight is seldom a limiting factor. Most choices can withstand weights that far exceed yours. Some feet require more support than others, regardless of weight. That and many other choices make the debate not a right or wrong thing. There is only what works for you. This is true of many other "what works" or "what's best" type debates.

Note: I belabor this point only because of the false advice you are receiving about weight capabilities of trail runners. Many people heavier than you thru on trail runners. Some even use sandals or go bare foot.

Mr. Bumpy
08-24-2015, 16:53
I don't have experience with the cobbler listed, but several years ago I had a pair of Asolo 520's resoled. The work was done by a shop that was and Asolo authorized repair center and one that several WB folks recommended and it cost around $100. When they came back they had a slightly different sole attached. The upper felt a little wider and the sole was not as comfortable. They were different and I didn't like them anymore and I went out and purchased new boots. So except that I have a high end pair of grass cutters, my experience with having boots resoled was a waste of money and I will never do it again.
That's just my experience, I know others have done just fine getting boots resoled.

Arden
08-24-2015, 18:23
Boot vs shoe vs sandals vs whatever is a personal choice. The choice is often driven by a function of the foot, not the footwear. That is why I answered as I did above. Weight is seldom a limiting factor. Most choices can withstand weights that far exceed yours. Some feet require more support than others, regardless of weight. That and many other choices make the debate not a right or wrong thing. There is only what works for you. This is true of many other "what works" or "what's best" type debates.

Note: I belabor this point only because of the false advice you are receiving about weight capabilities of trail runners. Many people heavier than you thru on trail runners. Some even use sandals or go bare foot.
Being an experienced runner, I have been asked "what is the best running shoe". I have to laugh (to myself). I always reply with the same answer: There is no "best" running shoe anywhere in the world. What is best for one runner will kill another's feet.

The "best" hiking boot I ever owned was a pair of Vasque with synthetic uppers that required absolutely no break-in. My first hike in them was a 16 miler in the Catskills of NY. My feet never bothered me at all.
OTOH, the Asolos, which I consider a superior boot - only because they were built really tough, and so far have outlasted the Vasques - required weeks of break-in.

Arden
08-24-2015, 18:25
I don't have experience with the cobbler listed, but several years ago I had a pair of Asolo 520's resoled. The work was done by a shop that was and Asolo authorized repair center and one that several WB folks recommended and it cost around $100. When they came back they had a slightly different sole attached. The upper felt a little wider and the sole was not as comfortable. They were different and I didn't like them anymore and I went out and purchased new boots. So except that I have a high end pair of grass cutters, my experience with having boots resoled was a waste of money and I will never do it again.
That's just my experience, I know others have done just fine getting boots resoled.
That thought did occur to me several minutes after I posted here. Do I really want to spend another 5 years hiking in those boots? I am just going to have to visit my local outdoor store and check out their selection, try several pair on, and see what I want to do. If I cannot find a pair of boots that I really like, then I guess I should consider re-soled Asolos.

Arden
08-24-2015, 18:27
One more note: I read about a guy who thru-hiked the AT in one pair of Mephisto sandles. Of course those cost about $400 retail. More than I want - or will - spend on a hiking boot.

Arden
08-24-2015, 18:31
There's REI's 1-year guarantee. Just like Cheryl Strayed said in the book and movie "Wild", if you don't love them, return anytime within 1yr and get a new pair. That may be the way to go.

Traveler
08-25-2015, 08:19

A lot depends on how worn the boot is overall as to what sole will be used to replace the original. I have had Dave Page Cobbler do two pairs of Asolo boots, the first was done prior to wear making the inner sole unstable and not suitable for the original sole to be reinstalled, the second pair was too far gone and a common Vibram sole was used in lieu of the original. When the boots would not support the original, Dave Page Cobbler let me know before he did anything to them. I had them done even with the new sole material and have to agree, they don't work the same as the original sole did. The key is to not let the boot get too far gone before they are resoled to preserve the feel and working nature of the boot overall.

shelb
08-25-2015, 11:29
As others have mentioned, boots versus trail runners is an individual decision...I have been told anyone with ankle problems should not use trail runners.

I loved my trail runners this year because they dried out so quickly. Granted, my feet got wet more easily than my friend's (she had waterproof boots); however, there was no way around everyone's feet getting wet at some point due to rain or the wet terrain. Once the boot feet were wet, they took longer to dry out...

Wyoming
08-25-2015, 16:39
Arden

The real choice is not between trail runners and boots. It is between walking shoes and trail runners.

You might want to consider the walking/hiking shoes. They are the main alternate to trail runners not boots. They have much better foot protection due to the significantly harder and tougher soles than trail runners, so with the walking shoe you will get far fewer foot pain issues due to rocks and such, but not quite to the degree of a boot. The models I have tried never need breaking in.

The walking shoes are low top so that might be an issue for your ankles, but the real way to deal with weak ankles is to build them up. There is not really any boot requirement related to the weight of the pack you are carrying. Walking long distances in boots just promotes weaker ankles. Once you get the ankles built up, and it does not take all that much effort, then you will never go back to the boots unless you are going out in the winter using crampons or such.

And while a walking shoe will not last like a boot will they last several times as long as trail runners so on a cost per mile basis they are by far the cheapest shoe to be wearing of the two. They can be found in regular mesh which dry about the same as trail runners or with Goretex. Weight wise they are similar and top of the line ones weight the same as top of the line trail runners. You might try a few on to see what you think.

Arden
08-25-2015, 21:49
Arden

The real choice is not between trail runners and boots. It is between walking shoes and trail runners.

You might want to consider the walking/hiking shoes. They are the main alternate to trail runners not boots. They have much better foot protection due to the significantly harder and tougher soles than trail runners, so with the walking shoe you will get far fewer foot pain issues due to rocks and such, but not quite to the degree of a boot. The models I have tried never need breaking in.

The walking shoes are low top so that might be an issue for your ankles, but the real way to deal with weak ankles is to build them up. There is not really any boot requirement related to the weight of the pack you are carrying. Walking long distances in boots just promotes weaker ankles. Once you get the ankles built up, and it does not take all that much effort, then you will never go back to the boots unless you are going out in the winter using crampons or such.

And while a walking shoe will not last like a boot will they last several times as long as trail runners so on a cost per mile basis they are by far the cheapest shoe to be wearing of the two. They can be found in regular mesh which dry about the same as trail runners or with Goretex. Weight wise they are similar and top of the line ones weight the same as top of the line trail runners. You might try a few on to see what you think.
Thanks Wyoming; That's a lot of good advice. There are so many choices of shoes/boots that I am sure I will find the right one. I will have to visit the store, rather than buy them online though. I have had no problem with buying my running shoes (both road and trail) online, but I'm usually not going such long distances in the shoes.

I don't think I have weak ankles, but I have to admit I need some training before trying anything really long. I'm planning for a 2-4 day trek through Harriman park, starting at the Harriman train station, and ending either at the Peekskill station on the Hudson, or the AT train station on the Harlem line. To "break in" a new pair of boots/shoes, I think the 2-day through Harriman would be the best option, but I would like to eventually work my way up to CT and into MA and VT (from NY).

Traveler
08-26-2015, 07:17
Arden

While that may work well for you and others, its not necessarily true for everyone. There are a variety of boots, shoes, and runners that choices can be used for the same activities. A lot depends on the needs or relative comfort of the individual that defines if a boot, shoe, or runner will work. So the choice really is full spectrum.

Adding to that spectrum, some people use different footwear for different conditions. For example, I wear hiking shoes most of the time, I move into heavy boots in winter conditions or where there there is very difficult terrain expected, and will change to runners for low altitude hikes on fairly soft treadway.

Arden
08-26-2015, 14:50
While that may work well for you and others, its not necessarily true for everyone. There are a variety of boots, shoes, and runners that choices can be used for the same activities. A lot depends on the needs or relative comfort of the individual that defines if a boot, shoe, or runner will work. So the choice really is full spectrum.

Adding to that spectrum, some people use different footwear for different conditions. For example, I wear hiking shoes most of the time, I move into heavy boots in winter conditions or where there there is very difficult terrain expected, and will change to runners for low altitude hikes on fairly soft treadway.
I have a pair of Dolomite winter boots and Grivel 12 pt crampons that fit the boots. I haven't done any overnighting in winter, but I think that will change this winter.

Wyoming
08-27-2015, 16:44

Fair comment and I agree with it. I write the same often myself but did not take the time to fully differentiate all the valid points. But that being said there are very few 3 season hikers who would choose running shoes or boots any more.

Wyoming
08-27-2015, 16:52
Thanks Wyoming; That's a lot of good advice. There are so many choices of shoes/boots that I am sure I will find the right one. I will have to visit the store, rather than buy them online though. I have had no problem with buying my running shoes (both road and trail) online, but I'm usually not going such long distances in the shoes.

I don't think I have weak ankles, but I have to admit I need some training before trying anything really long. I'm planning for a 2-4 day trek through Harriman park, starting at the Harriman train station, and ending either at the Peekskill station on the Hudson, or the AT train station on the Harlem line. To "break in" a new pair of boots/shoes, I think the 2-day through Harriman would be the best option, but I would like to eventually work my way up to CT and into MA and VT (from NY).

Re the ankle rolling thing that many worry about. It is always good to remember that we were designed to walk barefoot so we don't have a real need for ankle support. Your ankles will get really strong hiking on trails pretty fast. It is hiking on perfectly flat stuff all the time that messes us up. Also there is a sort of reflex all rough terrain hikers develop that keeps you from rolling the ankle when you misstep or trod on a small round rock. One develops an almost instantaneous ability to unweight the foot before any damage is done. Out on the trail you see folks do that little hop all the time.

When I am buying shoes and find the ones I want to buy I always have the salesperson bring me a couple more pair of that same model and size and I try them all on. You get a much better fitting pair of shoes then as in 3 pari of shoes the same size none of them will be exactly the same. Since my left foot is bigger than my right I can find the best right and left out of the several pairs. This is really handy.

Another Kevin
08-27-2015, 17:25
Fair comment and I agree with it. I write the same often myself but did not take the time to fully differentiate all the valid points. But that being said there are very few 3 season hikers who would choose running shoes or boots any more.

One manufacturer's trail runners may be comparable with another manufacturer's walking shoes. Some trail runners have decent rock plates, some don't. In warm weather, I tend to the 'minimalist' end with New Balance MT610v3, and green Superfeet because the stock insoles are worthless. The hard shell of the Superfeet also reinforces the (otherwise probably inadequate) rock plate of the shoe. I certainly wouldn't wear shoes that are built for road or track running, and boots would be overkill.

But the choice comes down to your feet. My feet aren't your feet, and what works for me likely won't work for you. (My feet seem to be similar to BirdBrain's feet, because we have settled on nearly the same system. But that's coincidence.)