PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable pillows

skylark
08-20-2015, 21:11
I recently got an inflatable pillow and have been trying it out at home for the past four nights. This may be a coincidence, but I slept much sounder with the inflatable pillow than with my regular pillows.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I expect it will be much more comfortable in camp than my previous stuff sack filled with a down vest and socks.

SWODaddy
08-20-2015, 21:16
What pillow?

Carbo
08-20-2015, 21:25
Yes, the inflatable pillow made a big difference for better sleeping. I too previously used a stuff sack filled with clothing.

changed
08-20-2015, 21:48
Never felt the need to spend money on a pillow when I have a stuff sack and a down jacket: if I'm not tired enough at the end of the day to sleep soundly, I didn't hike enough.

skylark
08-21-2015, 05:52
Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight

Heliotrope
08-21-2015, 07:19
Going to have to test drive one [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashepabst
08-21-2015, 11:14
agreed. I have to add a little height to my exped pillow, but it sleeps like a dream --much better than a bag full of clothes.

BirdBrain
08-21-2015, 11:19
I tried many versions. I am a side, back, side, front, side, back, side, etc sleeper. Nothing but a real pillow worked for me. I finally settled on an exped pillow pump wrapped in my fleece. I am certain this would not work for everyone. Nothing does. The trick is to find what works for you. I finally have.

slbirdnerd
08-21-2015, 12:31
I have to have a pillow--tried all the other ways of doing it but it was just uncomfortable. I have a Big Agnes Sleeping Giant for ground-sleeping (I also hang and use a small down pillow in the hammock). The BA pillow is an inflatable but with a layer of memory foam on top, worth every ounce (most of my other stuff is very UL). Packs down nicely at the bottom of the compactor bag under my quilt or bag. The trick with any inflatable is, same as an inflatable pad, don't inflate it all the way. I still put my empty pack under it for a little more height, and just to have somewhere to put my pack.

I get why it's more comfortable than your pillow at home because you can control how inflated it is and it stays that way all night.

nsherry61
08-21-2015, 13:18
I got rid of one of my two bed pillows at home and replaced it with my little backpacking pillow, because I sleep best that way at home. Go figure.

Harrison Bergeron
08-21-2015, 20:34
I was miserable using my clothing bag as a pillow when I started my hike. It was lumpy and sticky and just didn't work. So I picked up a $40 Big Agnes inflatable pillow at Neels -- and it was even worse. It was too thin and slippery and it still stuck to my face. So when my son-in-law (who's a back sleeper) joined me at Franklin, I gave it to him. He gave it back after two nights.

But I picked up something at Franklin that actually worked for quarter of the money AND weight -- a Thermorest pillowcase. It turned my clothing bag into a usable pillow. So forget the blowups and just get a pillowcase.

RangerZ
08-21-2015, 21:04
I was miserable using my clothing bag as a pillow when I started my hike. It was lumpy and sticky and just didn't work. So I picked up a $40 Big Agnes inflatable pillow at Neels -- and it was even worse. It was too thin and slippery and it still stuck to my face. So when my son-in-law (who's a back sleeper) joined me at Franklin, I gave it to him. He gave it back after two nights.

But I picked up something at Franklin that actually worked for quarter of the money AND weight -- a Thermorest pillowcase. It turned my clothing bag into a usable pillow. So forget the blowups and just get a pillowcase.

Harrison, use a lead shot bag, eh? - Kurt :banana

Wil
08-22-2015, 00:03
...a Thermorest pillowcase. It turned my clothing bag into a usable pillow. So forget the blowups and just get a pillowcase.I use that with a partially-inflated medical disposable and a couple of clothes items (I don't carry much extra clothing) and that's been the best solution for me. The older Thermarest cases were even better, with a nice fuzzy-textured surface; the newer ones are smoother and OK.

capehiker
08-22-2015, 14:40
I use a combination of an Exped large pillow and a Zpacks fleece lined stuff sack will with clothes on top of the Exped. I have very broad shoulders and I'm a side sleeper so I need that lift off the ground.

Busky2
08-24-2015, 09:16
Well i started using a SEA to SUMMIT pillow and could not be happier with it.

T-Rx
08-24-2015, 11:22
Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight

+1 on this one. A great addition to my sleep gear.

ekeverette
08-24-2015, 16:33
T-rex..... back from flipping?

hadfield4wd
08-26-2015, 09:45

Great idea. I use a slumberjack pillow that weighs 6.5 oz and it's stuffed. I could just pull out the stuffing and use my fleece. I'm trying to shave weight where ever I can.

The Snowman
08-26-2015, 19:47
I like my little REI ultra light inflatable pillow small light weight easy to blow up and provides great head/ neck support.

OPI
08-26-2015, 21:29
I picked one of these Klymit Cush pillows up these spring and just love it. Nice price and 2.6 oz!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WS5WXO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Yankee15
08-26-2015, 22:48
I'm a stomach sleeper, I like a thin pillow anyway, and I'm already carrying these heavy clothes...

Odd Man Out
08-27-2015, 00:12
I use that with a partially-inflated medical disposable and a couple of clothes items (I don't carry much extra clothing) and that's been the best solution for me. The older Thermarest cases were even better, with a nice fuzzy-textured surface; the newer ones are smoother and OK.

I also use the medical pillow. I made my own pillow case for it out of a remnant of stretchy fleece I got from the fabric store.