PDA

View Full Version : AT Wedding

shades of blue
11-27-2005, 00:19
A few weeks ago I asked my girlfriend to marry me (we were at Rhododendron gap in the Va highlands). It was a great place, but now we are trying to decided where to get married. We both agree that we want it to be on the AT and on a summit somewhere. It will be just us, a preacher and two witnesses. The parameters will be this: It needs to be within 2-3 miles of a road access (for preacher), somewhere in the southern half of the trail (GA-central VA), and it would be nice for it not to be too crowded. The wedding should take place sometime from mid-late May to early June.

I have lots of thoughts myself, but would like to hear some other points of view.

Thanks!!

Skeemer
11-27-2005, 00:28
MaxPatch would be ideal. Congrats!:clap

TooTall
11-27-2005, 00:51
Big Bald or Clingman's Dome might also be good choices.

Too Tall Paul

Miss Janet
11-27-2005, 01:04
... is a beautiful spot!

ATSeamstress
11-27-2005, 01:11
Beauty spot is easy access from the road, but not crowded, at least when I was there. A little tricky to find the road leading up there, we had to stop and ask directions, but I believe it was just inside the NC state line off the road from Erwin.

Lion King
11-27-2005, 01:29
Beauty Spot is nice, but if you feel like a 2-3 mile walk, UNAKA would rock your wedding world. You could park at Beauty Spot and hike north to Unaka Summit.

I wouldnt do Clingmans, too touristy, plus oyu may run into Park Ranger issues.

The Highlands would be great as well.
You could park in the MT Rogers Park area, take the blue blaze up, and bammo...great open territory.

Tinker Cliffs area up from Catawba is awesome and not too horrible a hike up to the Knob.

Black Rock is cool, but that woukld involve a little more work, Marys Rock, a few differetn peaks in the Shennies. All have easy access and easy hiikes.

Congrats

MisterSweetie
11-27-2005, 02:56
I agree with Skeemer, Max Patch would be great. I think the Gnarly oak at Bly Gap would be a great spot too, but not on a summit, and I'm not sure on the exact mileage from road access.

Anyway, great you found someone with similar interests! I hope we get to see wedding pictures. I think that'd be fabulous.

Whistler
11-27-2005, 06:57
Max Patch is a great idea, but I have to agree with Lion King that Unaka would be excellent.
-Mark

gumball
11-27-2005, 07:11
I do not have a suggestion where to marry in the southern half of the AT, but wanted to congratulate you--my husband and I were married on August 6 of this year, at the Delaware Water Gap. In attendance was the preacher, his wife, and another couple. Our honeymoon was a hike through NJ and into NY--great fun. Best wishes, a wonderful way to start a journey--with a journey :)

Walessp
11-27-2005, 07:31
One vote for Spy Rock near Montebello VA. The Dutch Haus B & B is nearby too!

jigsaw
11-27-2005, 08:50
hey shades congrats on your marriage. helen and i spent the night with you and mary at kid gore in vermont. id have to agree that max patch would be nice. anyway good luck jigsaw and helen

Bianchi Veloce
11-27-2005, 08:59
Siler Bald near Franklin, NC

MOWGLI
11-27-2005, 09:39
Nice idea! Best of luck on your decision . My wife & I were married on top of Hook Mountain in Nyack, NY. The Long Path crosses the top of the mountain.

I hope you do a better job of keepin' an eye on the preacher than we did. He got lost on the way down off the mountain. Oops!

Hey, why not take the leap at Lovers Leap in Hot Springs?

Jaybird
11-27-2005, 10:19
A few weeks ago I asked my girlfriend to marry me (we were at Rhododendron gap in the Va highlands). It was a great place, but now we are trying to decided where to get married. We both agree that we want it to be on the AT and on a summit somewhere. ......................etc,etc,etc,................ ........Thanks!!

Yo Sofb68:

Why NOT CLINGMANS DOME?

The HIGHEST PEAK on the A.T.????

& seeing your in NC its not that far of a drive!:D

good luck in the marriage!

justusryans
11-27-2005, 10:27
Peaks of Otter is a nice area.
We got married July of this year, so congratulations!! :D

ARambler
11-27-2005, 11:03
My first thought was that a beautiful spot that is not crowded on a spring Saturday was going to be hard to find, but there are a lot of good suggestions. (I think Clingmans, while a good suggestion, does not meet the less crowded criteria.) The best suggestion has probably already been made, like Beauty Spot or Max Patch? None-the-less, here are my top three:
1) Most obvious/symbolic: Springer
2) Most photographed: McAfee Knob (may be slightly longer than 3 mi.)
3) Best Access (not yet listed): Wayah Bald above Franklin, NC. (Might consider moving the wedding to co-inside with the Rhododendron, Mid June???)

Rambler

Jack Tarlin
11-27-2005, 17:11
I think all of the suggestions so far have been great, especially Max Patch, the Beauty Spot, and the Unaka Mt. summit.

If I were going to get married again (which is about as likely as my joining the Christian Temperance Union, becoming a Yankee fan, and doing the PCT with Michael Moore and Warren Doyle as hiking partners), I think I'd go to Overmountain Shelter and have the ceremony at the top of the valley there.
(It's also easily road accesible).

Second choice would be the summit of Roan Mountain during wildflower season.

Wherever you choose, I hope it's a beautiful day, and congratulations!

Skyline
11-27-2005, 17:26
Jack,

That made my day! You and Michael and Warren on the PCT! Now THAT would be a movie I'd pay double to see, just to make up for Warren sneaking in. The three of y'all together would have to make a better story than Bryson and Katz. Any y'all could play yourselves!

Seriously, I think your Overmountain suggestion is the best yet--one of the best views from a shelter area on the AT, lotsa room, nearby parking, and a huge building to move indoors if the weather Gods don't cooperate.

SGT Rock
11-27-2005, 17:38
There are lots of great suggestions here. Just one slightly different:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6909&catid=searchresults&searchid=851

Wayah bald tower. You could have the vows at the top of the tower. Protected from the weather and easy to climb. Very little traffic in the area, great views, privies nearby, road access and parking close enough for the drive in.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6883&catid=searchresults&searchid=851

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=8998&catid=searchresults&searchid=851

You can do the wedding there and then hike over to Wine Springs for some great camping and a honeymoon. I know a great stealth site ;)

MisterSweetie
11-27-2005, 19:02
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6909&catid=searchresults&searchid=851

Wayah bald tower. You could have the vows at the top of the tower. Protected from the weather and easy to climb. Very little traffic in the area, great views, privies nearby, road access and parking close enough for the drive in.
But don't camp in the bottom "room"... the floor holds water (a couple inches worth) in any substantial rain. :) ;)

neo
11-27-2005, 20:33
Big Bald or Clingman's Dome might also be good choices.

Too Tall Paul

to many people at clingmans dome,also to commercial,i would go with big bald or max patch:cool: neo

here are some pics from our wedding may 23rd 2005

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6969&c=665&userid=3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6970&c=665&userid=3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6968&c=665&userid=3462

Alligator
11-27-2005, 20:38
One vote for Spy Rock near Montebello VA. The Dutch Haus B & B is nearby too!

I'll second that.

ed bell
11-27-2005, 20:49
I think I'd go to Overmountain Shelter and have the ceremony at the top of the valley there.
(It's also easily road accesible).

I like this idea, the summit of Little Hump is wonderful and close. If you like, stop short of Little Hump, any place is wonderful comming out of the Overmountain area going North. Added bonus of lots of sleeping room if you would like guests.:sun

Lone Wolf
11-27-2005, 20:54
Visuals mean nothing when you're marrying. *** a view. William Wallace would agree.

ed bell
11-27-2005, 20:59
Neo, Congratulations. My wife and I were married at Symmes Chapel at Camp Greenville right on the NC / SC border. It's an open air chapel. Absolutely the most beautiful chapel I have ever been in. The view will stay with you always. If anyone wants to know more about it PM me.

smokymtnsteve
11-27-2005, 20:59
Visuals mean nothing when you're marrying. *** a view. William Wallace would agree.

Yeah..janet reno baby :banana

saimyoji
11-27-2005, 21:20

Disagree: Wallace was forced to marry in secret. Given a choice, he would have wed on top of the tallest mountain with the most impressive view of all of scotland. He probably would have bed his wife on the tallest peak lletting his/her screams of climax echo throughout the land.....:clap

neo
11-27-2005, 21:45

william wallace is one of my favorite warrior hero's :cool: neo

neo
11-27-2005, 21:50
anyway,good luck and God bless you were ever and how ever you decide
:cool: neo

The Solemates
11-29-2005, 10:12
I would do it at Tinker Cliffs near Catawba Valley Virginia, near sunset, which is beautiful over the valley. There would be no crowds, as everyone is always at McAfees instead.

A-Train
11-29-2005, 16:26
My vote is for Max Patch, maybe my favorite spot on the AT in the south. Mcafees Knob would be cool too

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-30-2005, 09:43
Many good spots are available. Check with the rangers re: getting married in the GSMNP - I believe you have to get a permit to do that.

Footslogger
11-30-2005, 12:40
Slightly off topic ...but the subject of non-traditional weddings is near and dear to our hearts. We are both hikers (BadAssTurtle and I) but when it came time to tie the knot our second addiction (SCUBA diving) kicked in. We had a dive trip all planned anyway and decided to call and see if the boat captain was willing and able to handle the ceremony at sea. Long story short ...he was and we shared our vows onboard a liveaboard diveboat headed for a week of sailing/diving in the Bahamas.

Back on topic though, I think the first thing I'd think about in terms of an AT wedding would be accessibility. Granted, a lot (if not the majority) of your friends may be hikers and willing to trek into a beautiful and secluded spot ...but then again there may be a few not so inclined. Anyway, just a thought.

Digressing a tad, I will tell you that rather than send out invitations for our wedding at sea, we just sent out "announcments". That way no one felt obligated to buy gifts or attend. As it turned out we ended up with 2 family members onboard for the ceremony and the rest of our "congregation" were the other passengers.

One suggestion though (if you haven't already thought of it) assuming that you'd like to have the occasion well captured on film, would be to buy a couple dozen disposable cameras (they sell them in "wedding packs") and pass them out to all the folks who attend. Just ask everyone to be sure and use up all the film in each of the cameras and then give them back to you after the ceremony. When you get home just turn them in for development and Voile' ...instant wedding album. We did this on the dive boat and ended up with dozens of great shots that otherwise would have gone unrecorded.

'Slogger