PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Angel Springs

bayoutrail
08-21-2015, 14:14
Good day all,
I have a Copper Spur UL2 and I love it... but for some reason... I keep looking at BA Angel Springs... Im just curious if there are any out there who have one and can give me some honest trail use info on it. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bayoutrail
08-25-2015, 00:06
No one has anything good/bad/ugly to say about the Angel Springs?

HooKooDooKu
08-25-2015, 09:43
Do you own a newer or older Copper Spur? (I think it was about two years ago the updated the Copper Spur to make it several ounces lighter, but visually didn't change the design).

If you have one of the newer Copper Spurs, I can't see spending the money (even at a clearance price) to move to the Angel Springs. The two tents are roughly the same. They have the same floor space and nearly the same weight. About the only differences I can see is that the Copper Spur has two doors and two vestibules (much more vestibule space than the Angel Springs). About the only real plus I see with the Angel Springs is the 'D' door rather than the Rainbow door of the Copper Spur (and the weight issue if you own an older Copper Spur).

bayoutrail
08-25-2015, 17:50
Do you own a newer or older Copper Spur? (I think it was about two years ago the updated the Copper Spur to make it several ounces lighter, but visually didn't change the design).

If you have one of the newer Copper Spurs, I can't see spending the money (even at a clearance price) to move to the Angel Springs. The two tents are roughly the same. They have the same floor space and nearly the same weight. About the only differences I can see is that the Copper Spur has two doors and two vestibules (much more vestibule space than the Angel Springs). About the only real plus I see with the Angel Springs is the 'D' door rather than the Rainbow door of the Copper Spur (and the weight issue if you own an older Copper Spur).

I believe my Spur is older. I admit I like the double doors of the Spur... But I do like the D shaped door in the Angel springs... Having the full down to the ground fly I like but I was really curious how the modified fly works.

Allshookup
12-09-2015, 18:36
I have had the Angel Spring UL3 since March of 2014. I have used this tent on at least 4 or 5 weekend camping trips and also on a 5 day trek from Yosemite to Tuolumne Meadows. I have to say the tent has been near perfect. Let me start off by saying this thing is huge (43sqft floor space) for a tent that packs down to the size of a small cantaloupe (w/o the poles) and weighs just over 3lb total. Setup is simple but you must get the poles in the proper corners (silver to silver & gold to gold) and the center pole hub must be facing down otherwise you will have to start over (yes I started over). Practice in the backyard a time or two and you will be fine. It is completely freestanding but staking it down is recommended. There was plenty of room for two people and gear inside, you could sleep 3 but it would be tight and gear would have to be left outside. It has pockets everywhere to maximize storage options and to keep thing within reach. With the center height of 44" there was no problem sitting up or even squatting / hunching inside the tent.

The ventilation on the tent is amazing with the two roof vents and the unique rear high wall rain fly. I never had any condensation inside the tent. The zippers run very smooth, I only had a couple of times that they got caught up (most likely my fault from a loose pitch). I feel if the tent is pitched taunt then you can operate the zippers one handed.

Now how does it handle the rain? Well on my last camping trip we had one night with thunderstorm & tornado warning. The weather went from sprinkles, thunderstorms, flash flooding and 50-60mph winds. Nothing inside got wet.

bayoutrail
04-22-2016, 19:07
I have had the Angel Spring UL3 since March of 2014. I have used this tent on at least 4 or 5 weekend camping trips and also on a 5 day trek from Yosemite to Tuolumne Meadows. I have to say the tent has been near perfect. Let me start off by saying this thing is huge (43sqft floor space) for a tent that packs down to the size of a small cantaloupe (w/o the poles) and weighs just over 3lb total. Setup is simple but you must get the poles in the proper corners (silver to silver & gold to gold) and the center pole hub must be facing down otherwise you will have to start over (yes I started over). Practice in the backyard a time or two and you will be fine. It is completely freestanding but staking it down is recommended. There was plenty of room for two people and gear inside, you could sleep 3 but it would be tight and gear would have to be left outside. It has pockets everywhere to maximize storage options and to keep thing within reach. With the center height of 44" there was no problem sitting up or even squatting / hunching inside the tent.

The ventilation on the tent is amazing with the two roof vents and the unique rear high wall rain fly. I never had any condensation inside the tent. The zippers run very smooth, I only had a couple of times that they got caught up (most likely my fault from a loose pitch). I feel if the tent is pitched taunt then you can operate the zippers one handed.

Now how does it handle the rain? Well on my last camping trip we had one night with thunderstorm & tornado warning. The weather went from sprinkles, thunderstorms, flash flooding and 50-60mph winds. Nothing inside got wet.
Good day. Angel springs still treating you well?

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk