PDA

View Full Version : Is it doable?

soretoe
08-21-2015, 16:16
I am a 65 year old who runs marathons (13 in 12 months is my best). Will retire relatively soon and was hoping to get some "straight forward" information on the viability of my doing a thru hike (at my age). I'll have the time, the money, I'm in the best shape of my life, but I will be in around 67 when the hike begins. Any info, pro or con, will be appreciated.

rafe
08-21-2015, 16:20
Certainly doable. But be patient with yourself, and don't push too hard for miles until you feel comfortable doing so. The main thing is to stay injury-free. Do some research, get the lightest gear you can afford. Plenty of retirees and folks your age and older have finished the trail.

Lone Wolf
08-21-2015, 16:31
I am a 65 year old who runs marathons (13 in 12 months is my best). Will retire relatively soon and was hoping to get some "straight forward" information on the viability of my doing a thru hike (at my age). I'll have the time, the money, I'm in the best shape of my life, but I will be in around 67 when the hike begins. Any info, pro or con, will be appreciated.

plenty of men and women your age and older doin' thru-hikes. it's just a bunch of 4-6 day hikes strung together

handlebar
08-21-2015, 18:03
My AT thru was in 2006 when I was 61. I hiked with a group we called FDOM (Four Dirty Old Men), one of whom, Old Grey Goose, was 69 at the time. I've hiked over 10,000 miles since I turned 60 in 2005. I think I was in the best shape of my life after finishing the AT---felt like a 30 year old. But, unfortunately, a glance in the mirror confirmed that wasn't the case.:(

soretoe
08-21-2015, 18:19
My AT thru was in 2006 when I was 61. I hiked with a group we called FDOM (Four Dirty Old Men), one of whom, Old Grey Goose, was 69 at the time. I've hiked over 10,000 miles since I turned 60 in 2005. I think I was in the best shape of my life after finishing the AT---felt like a 30 year old. But, unfortunately, a glance in the mirror confirmed that wasn't the case.:(

Ha...thanks handlebar, rafe and Lone Wolf.

I am still acclimating myself to this site so if this response is not in the proper place, apologies.

Thanks again for the encouragement. I plan to bone up on all the available info I can (trail, gear, etc) before attempting. Good to have a place to come for info.

Thanks again.

Woodturner
08-21-2015, 20:48
I knew a man who section hiked over a period of four or five years and managed to do everything between Springer and Hanover, NH.
He started when he was 76. The only reason he was unable to finish was that his wife started suffering from dementia and he felt he should stay home.
I kind of have it in the back of my mind to give it a try next year, and I will be 64. I have done most of the AT, but there are a few skipped sections. I would really like to say I've done it all.

bigcranky
08-21-2015, 21:05
The only concern that I would have is that your physical condition will lead you to start too fast, trying to knock out 15 or 20 miles per day out the gate. Hiking up and down hills with a backpack is different from running, and have known several runners who can testify to that. Starting too fast leads to injury which leads to getting off the trail.

Beyond that, you will not be anywhere near too old to hike. If you can spend some long weekends and maybe a week on the trail in the next couple of years that will help a lot in getting your gear sorted.

Spirit Walker
08-21-2015, 22:10
Assuming you stay active over the next two years, you should be able to thruhike. I'll second BigCranky's suggestion of doing practice hikes/backpack trips over the next year. Work on getting a gear setup that is lightweight but works for you. My husband was 53 when he did his first long hike, but 67 when we did our most recent one. A bad knee made it difficult, but he finished. On my 2nd At hike, we hiked with a 76 year old on his fourth thruhike for a while. He finished as well.

kibs
08-21-2015, 22:38
Certainly doable. But be patient with yourself, and don't push too hard for miles until you feel comfortable doing so. The main thing is to stay injury-free. Do some research, get the lightest gear you can afford. Plenty of retirees and folks your age and older have finished the trail.
Spoken from true wisdom. I myself will begin AT in 2018-shortly after I retire.

fiddlehead
08-22-2015, 00:05
One problem to keep an eye on:
The older you get, the more you feel the cold.
So, you need a bit more sleeping bag, and a bit more (heavier) clothes.
Then you are more at risk for tendonitis, knee pain, ankle problems, etc. from the extra weight.
So, it is very important to try to get equipment that is lightweight and do a bunch of practice hikes to learn what you really need out there, and what you don't.
Could make the difference between your making it or getting hurt.
Good luck and have fun.
I hope to do another one when my kid gets out of high school. (8 more years???)

Slo-go'en
08-22-2015, 00:21
it's just a bunch of 4-6 day hikes strung together

But with out any breaks in between to recover and rebound. All those 4-6 day hikes strung together start to take a toll after a while. You don't have to be in a rush like the kids. Take your time, take plenty of breaks and enjoy the journey.

Nooga
08-22-2015, 09:53
As others have stated, you are not too old and are in good shape. Evaluate your gear to keep your pack weight down. The southern AT is ideal to start out with lots of resupply points and typically lots of water to further reduce your weight. Start slow and keep your daily mileage down until Damascus to allow your muscles and joints to adapt to the stress.

juniorace
08-22-2015, 13:28
I would also like to chime in that I think it would be very helpful to have a partner, someone who is there when you have some bad days or need someone to lean on. As much as the hike is physical, there is a lot of it that is mental. Having someone there to talk with and share the day to day struggles can make a huge difference.

slbirdnerd
08-22-2015, 14:13
There is only one way to find out. :) ... Plus, what everyone else said.

Colter
08-22-2015, 18:53
Very good advice so far. Go light and avoid injuries.

On the PCT a couple, one a bit over 70 and another nearly 70, left Stehekin hours before me. I was in great shape and cranking out serious miles. I think it's about 80 miles to Canada on that stretch. They beat me.

Cookerhiker
08-22-2015, 19:19
As a marathon runner, you're in excellent aerobic shape - the most important physical ingredient to a successful and enjoyable hike.

In 2006 when I attempted a JMT thruhike, my hiking partner was a marathon runner in his mid-50s who had never backpacked in his life. All of his previous outings were day hikes and car camping. He had absolutely no problems on the hike. Admittedly the JMT is only 10% of the length of the AT but it was still 220 vigorous challenging miles and offers a useful example.

My only advice - consistent with some of the other responses above - is that even though you're likely physically able to start out with 15-20 mile days, hold the initial mileage down to 12 or even 10 in the beginning to allow your knees, feet, quads, etc. to make the adjustment. After about a week, the adjustment will be complete and you're on your way!

johnnybgood
08-22-2015, 20:43
As a marathon runner, you're in excellent aerobic shape - the most important physical ingredient to a successful and enjoyable hike.

The other key ingredient needed is perseverance--persevere through repetition. The day in-day out monotonous routine that is an AT thru-hike can be more a mental challenge than a physical one.
Just keep your mind stimulated with the sights and sounds of the trail and embrace meeting uniquely interesting people that will enrich your trail experience . Enjoy !

Spirit Walker
08-23-2015, 13:03
The other key ingredient needed is perseverance--persevere through repetition. The day in-day out monotonous routine that is an AT thru-hike can be more a mental challenge than a physical one.
Just keep your mind stimulated with the sights and sounds of the trail and embrace meeting uniquely interesting people that will enrich your trail experience . Enjoy !

Which is where being a marathon runner is actually a big advantage. After undergoing numerous training cycles, you know all about the mental challenge. it takes a lot of discipline to train for a marathon. Thruhiking is very similar, it just takes longer.

soretoe
08-23-2015, 17:19
Which is where being a marathon runner is actually a big advantage. After undergoing numerous training cycles, you know all about the mental challenge. it takes a lot of discipline to train for a marathon. Thruhiking is very similar, it just takes longer.

EVERYONE that took the time to offer encouragement and advice on my plan to thru hike the AT at an "advanced age".....

Thanks so much!! Truly appreciated.

soretoe