PDA

View Full Version : Planning Northbound 2017 Need some advice

Indigo Hawk
08-21-2015, 20:14
This is my first post and I'm not sure where to put it. Anyways, I'm planning a Northbound thru-hike in 2017. The thing is, I'm a bit overweight and know I need to be in much much better shape. I have a bit of muscle and have already shed a few pounds since deciding to do this. I'm also planning a short hiking trip at the start of next year and several more throughout to test my gear as I get it. Besides building up the leg muscle to hike what else should I work on?

Any and all advice is helpful. I know it's early to post about 2017 but this is important to me.

capehiker
08-22-2015, 15:47
Honestly, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic, spend the next week combing through the forums. You will have so much info your head will be over saturated. Then come back with the questions.

My other piece of advice is to get out on the trail. You'll find experience will answer many questions.

Spirit Walker
08-22-2015, 20:41
Since you have time, start doing as much walking as you can. Walk 30-60 minutes every day. Hike every weekend, if you can. Florida has a lot of state parks with good trails. Go out in all weathers. Find out what it's like to hike in all day rain, or snow, or high heat and humidity. Start camping and find out what it's like to camp in all weathers as well. Use your vacation time to get to some real mountains and explore. Rocky rooty trails are a lot different from the mostly easy Florida trails.

Yankee15
08-26-2015, 22:59
Get in the best shape you can but don't worry: if you start your thru hike and don't quit those pounds will fall off no matter what you do! Seen it happen a lot out there.

Datto
08-27-2015, 18:11
You should begin now to hike once per month for an overnight hike -- then for the six months just prior to starting your AT thru-hike, begin hiking three weekends per month starting on a Friday night and coming home on a Sunday evening. Sometime turing that last six months, hike the Ocala Trail in Florida end-to-end (about 70 miles or so), particularly during the February just before you start your AT thru-hike. That'll have you doing maildrops along the Ocala Trail and getting used to getting resupplied. It's a beautful trail and would be an easy/flat end-to-end hike.

Not much will prepare a person from Florida for the upcoming steepness of the AT in Georgia/North Carolina but the idea is to get accustomed to overnight/weekend/week-long hiking and the rigors that entails.

Datto

Indigo Hawk
08-27-2015, 21:49
Thanks to everyone so far! I've got some family with a ton of extra gear wanting to do some weekend hikes in state now. As for getting used to the steepness of the AT, I'm planning to do some overnight hiking up in NC next summer and for my honeymoon next fall. Any blue blaze trails recommended for that area? (These are going to also going to be gear tests.)

Oberon
09-04-2015, 22:30
I'm planning NOBO in February/March 2017. Have been watching my diet and walking/jogging a few days a week. Down 30 lbs since January. Will start more weekend hikes and equipment testing in the spring. Be happy to chat and keep each other motivated over the next year plus.

Feral Bill
09-05-2015, 00:43
I suggest finding an activity that you can build into your daily routine. Commute by bike, take an after dinner walk of and hour or so, play tennis every other day, or whatever. Just so long as you get moderate exercise regularly, you'll improve you physical and mental health. Make it enjoyable for you. Add the hiking specific activities others have suggested and you're good. I may see you out there, as that's my planned year.

frontovik193
09-05-2015, 00:50
Hey. This is also my first post. I am planning a thru-hike starting February/March 2017 as well. Both of you are definitely on the right track and I am there with you. I have been re-evaluating my gear over the summer and taking more section hikes, as well as walking as much as possible around town. My trip to work everyday is 1.5-2 miles depending on the route with significant elevation change. I started ditching the car and even the bike as much as possible and do this walk with a backpack sometimes loaded to 10-15 pounds. I am looking forward to winter, as It will be a both a test of gear and will power to make the trip in 20 degree weather. I try to take a 10+ mile hike each Monday. Sometimes I don't have the time or money to travel out of town (its about 2 hours to the closest mountains), but there are some pretty rocky trails with significant elevation change and they are a great place to try out footwear and build ankle/leg muscles. My biggest challenge is logistics. I will have to completely re-evaluate my life goals, finances, and career over the next 2 years. As someone with a job, a lease, car payment, and alot of junk.. it will take alot of planning and work to figure out what the best way to break away from society is come February 2017. The best time to start thinking about that is right now. I wish you both the best of luck and look forward to seeing you on the trail. Cheers!

Traveler
09-05-2015, 06:42
This is my first post and I'm not sure where to put it. Anyways, I'm planning a Northbound thru-hike in 2017. The thing is, I'm a bit overweight and know I need to be in much much better shape.

This sentence says it all. You already know how to remedy this with diet and exercise, the most difficult part is starting. The process to slowly lose the weight and build up muscles for stamina is not hard but does take a lot of discipline. Perhaps the most overlooked aspect of long distance hiking is that discipline, which will be necessary to complete the walk when theres nothing left in the tank.