PDA

View Full Version : So long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Goodnight......

One Leg
11-27-2005, 02:11
After 9 years of being on the internet, the missus and I have decided it's time to unplug. Effective January 15, we will no longer have internet access in our home.

I cannot begin to tell you just how much I'll miss you, and Whiteblaze. You have been such a vital part of my life for so long now that it'll actually be a painful transition for me.

For those who're wondering why the drastic decision, I will share some of the why's as to how we came about our decision.

1) The time I spend on the net is time taken away from my family. I have no self control when it comes to the net, and I freely admit that. I'm not visiting sites I have no business visiting, I just spend too much time reading this and that.....

2) As a result of my lack of self control, my family has suffered. We aren't on the brink of divorce, or anything close to that. I just recognize that things could be better, and have a strong desire for them to be better. Perhaps, down the road a ways, when things are better, I may return at some point. But for the present, my family is coming first.

3) When we moved to Tennessee back in 2001, we left our television in Georgia. There was too much crap coming in, and I didn't want to have to explain to my kids why Dan was kissing Trent, or why Heather has 2 mommies. However, having the 'net is just as bad, as things do come in that we don't want our kids to see. Just today, I opened my email, and discovered right there in bold letters "Young Asian Chick being f***ed by 2 guys at once" in the subject heading. I think more of my kids than to expose them to that. My family comes first.

I will be getting a service called "Mail Station".... If any of you have a desire to remain in contact with me, please email me so I'll have your address, and can move it over to the new service once I get it established.

I have a friend, Doug Lowry, who's agreed to maintain my website for me, and will do so as I email updates to him.

Rock & Troll, thank you for what you've done here at Whiteblaze. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here, and the friendships formed are genuine, true friends, and I wouldn't trade any of you for anything in the world.

I'm REALLY going to miss you guys,
Scott Rogers, AKA "One Leg"

MorrisseyFan
11-27-2005, 05:11
I applaud your decision to unplug. I can't help but think what better shape I would be in physically without the internet. On the other hand, I don't know how I would keep in contact with people. I loathe telephones, and I'm not one to keep an address book. *shrug*

(PS - I've had boyfriends named both Dan and Trent. Dan was a better kisser, though Trent wasn't bad.)

MOWGLI
11-27-2005, 07:53
Scott, I'll see you at the SORUCK, which is right around the time you go "unplugged." We can exchange info then.

hikerjohnd
11-27-2005, 09:38
I'm REALLY going to miss you guys,
Scott Rogers, AKA "One Leg"

You will be missed. I predict, however, thay you will, at some point, be back. There are options for filtering out the bad on the net and given today's society/economy - being without internet access will be difficult (but not impossible)

In the mean time - why not stop in the local library once a month or so and say howdy to us here at WB!

So I hope it is not goodbye - but Until we meet again...

Two Speed
11-27-2005, 10:26
When we moved to Tennessee back in 2001, we left our television in Georgia. There was too much crap . . .Amen, brother. From the rest of the sentence I don't think we agree on political issues, but there ain't no denying that most of what's on TV is garbage. I've been without a TV for more than a year now, and I can't imagine having one of those one-eyed monsters in my home ever again. Now a DVD player for the occasional movie . . . I have to admit there is the odd movie that I'd like to see.

You will be missed. I predict, however, thay you will, at some point, be back. There are options for filtering out the bad on the net and given today's society/economy - being without internet access will be difficult (but not impossible)

In the mean time - why not stop in the local library once a month or so and say howdy to us here at WB!

So I hope it is not goodbye - but Until we meet again...I'll second that, and add "Happy Trails" to it.

Jaybird
11-27-2005, 10:41
Good Luck "OneLeg"!

justusryans
11-27-2005, 10:41

I agree, anyway... luck...:D

justusryans
11-27-2005, 10:43
Could you post the link with the Asian chick? :D

Doctari
11-27-2005, 12:53
I applaude your strength. I too spend way too much time surfing.

Didn't think of myself as "addicted" but now that you mention it, , , , , , ,

There is a great place for day hiking little over a mile from my house, haven't been there this year, spent the time doing the net. Think I'll go today.

I second the "Visit a local library" idea, then you arn't totally cut off, & most have a time limit so you will be less likely to stay that long :)

TTFN

Doctari.

prozac
11-27-2005, 13:08
Could you post the link with the Asian chick? :D

Now thats just too funny.:D

Jack Tarlin
11-27-2005, 16:57
Having met, and having spent lots of time with Scott's family, I can absolutely understand why he wants to spend more time with them. His wife is wonderful, and his children are about the nicest, most polite, best behaved group of kids I've ever seen.

Stay in touch, Scott, and let us know every once in awhile how you guys are getting along. Have a wonderful Christmas and a great 2006.

SGT Rock
11-27-2005, 17:41
Take care Scott. You have so much family, I can imagine how anything could be an interference to spending time with them. I like the idea of going to the library for the occasional check up, I don't think that would kill you. But you know best.

Good luck, and I'll see you at SoRuck!

Lilred
11-27-2005, 19:24
I gots it from a reliable source that Scott won't be gone all that much........;)

Moxie00
11-27-2005, 23:39
Do what we do on the trail, when you get a chance stop by an internet cafe or library. Many of them limit visits to 15 min to 1/2 hour. Hop on, let us know how you are doing, hop off and go home to your family. Do it just once a week or less so we can find how you are doing. I was able to quit smoking 2 packs a day for 37 years and quit a wicked drinking habit but quitting the internet cold turkey would be even harder for me., At least when you quit the internet you can visit once in awhile and not get hooked as it is not a physical addition. Best of luck. You will be missed.

ATSeamstress
11-27-2005, 23:59
My best to you and your family, One Leg. This is something I've given serious consideration to myself. Putting on too much weight.

Mags
11-28-2005, 14:21
Best of luck in everything.

I get to surf on company time (Yeah..I don't work all that hard. I have a chill job)..but if I spent the hours I surf at work on non-work time., I'd be in trouble! :)

All the best!

Red Hat
11-28-2005, 15:10
No more notes on www.christianhikers.com? I do understand. My kids are all grown, or I might consider it too.... See you at Trail Days?!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-28-2005, 15:14
While I will miss you. I understand and support your decision.

You were making your thru-hike when I was in a terrible auto accident last summer. As I lay in the hospital not know just how bad my injuries were, I hung on to the idea that if a guy with one-leg can make it, sure a dino with a bum leg can do it. I was thrilled to meet you at Trail Days.

Godspeed and I hope you will check in from a library once in a while.

One Leg
11-28-2005, 16:49
I was thrilled to meet you at Trail Days.

Are you the lady who came and talked to me after I spoke?? Short black hair, if I remember correct... I'm hoping I'm thinking of the right person......

One Leg
11-30-2005, 12:39
Are you the lady with kind of short black hair who met me after I spoke at the Rock school?

I remember meeting a lady who shared the most heart touching story with me about having plans to hike last year, but was involved in a horrific automobile accident, and she had to change her plans due to that.

Now, I talked to a LOT of people last year, met well over 1,000, and each had a story to share. But yours, if this is you, was one that stuck with me, stayed right there at the forefront of my mind.

It was your story I thought of when I would become discouraged and want to quit. Because you took the time to share your story with me, I realized that what I was doing did matter to someone other than myself. I realized that I was accomplishing my original intent of making people think outside of the lines; not to accept things at face value, but to dig deeper within themselves to find the courage to get out and try whatever it is that they're wanting to do.

Whether you go 10 miles or 2,170+ miles, the feeling you'll experience just by getting out there and trying is without equal.

It's been said that the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. For those who've faced adversity head-on and still made that first step, the taste is just that much sweeter.

So, thank you for making a difference in my life.

Scott 'One-Leg' Rogers

Mother Nature
11-30-2005, 15:11
Scott,
You were the inspiration that kept my dream alive last year and motivates me to get back on the trail in the spring to finish what I started.
I will miss seeing your unique brand of humor on line but support your decision to spend more quality time with the kids.

I feel so blessed to know your family and to call you all friends. I agree with Baltimore Jack that your children are very special and very loved.

Visit with us from time to time when you can.

A wounded man sitting on the trail asked me what I could do to help him, and I told him I could talk his ear off. Since that time we have talked each other's ear off. Stay in touch.

Mother Nature

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-30-2005, 16:33
I camped two tents down from Mother Nature and Smokestack at traildays :D)

Scott, I was the lady you spoke with at trails days. Good deeds have a way of coming full circle - sounds like yur inspiring me allowed me to be there to inspire you. Check your PM's. You've got our home address and phone numbers.

Mother Nature
11-30-2005, 18:58
I remember you! We did meet at Trail Days and I remember chatting with you! Hope you are recovering 100% and all is well!

The hiking world is a wonderfully small place!

Mother Nature

Bjorkin
11-30-2005, 19:18
OneLeg and Froliking Dinosaurs - wow that's an amazing little epiphany to have just witnessed. I call dibs on the rights to Chicken Soup for the Hikers Soul! Seriously, thanks for sharing what the trail is all about.

(OneLeg, I wouldn't have heard about your serendipitous experience had you not been saying farewell to the message board. Psst, something bigger is telling you to stay! ;)

Cookerhiker
11-30-2005, 19:44
We never met although I did attend your presentation at 2005 Trail Days. I'll miss you and your posts, all of which reflected your sense of humor and positive upbeat outlook on life notwithstanding the hand you were dealt. Try to stay in touch on WB at least occasionally.

The Desperado
12-01-2005, 18:00
"Old time" Mt. Men never said goodbye so..........Happy Trails!!!!!....D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-02-2005, 08:31
I remember you! We did meet at Trail Days and I remember chatting with you! Hope you are recovering 100% and all is well.The leg was too damaged to recover completely. The Vastus Lateralis (big muscle running from knee to hip on the outside of the leg) has significant nerve damage and cannot be developed. (You can't strengthen or develop what you can't move). I'm working on developing all the other quad muscles - also damaged, but not as severely) to compensate for this. I'll be back out there, but the two off-set canes many of you have seen me use on the trail will likely be a permanent part of my hiking gear. I wonder if anyone makes titanium off-set canes? I may have to design a tent that uses off-set canes instead of hiking poles for support :D. The bottom line is that life goes on and you play with the hand you are dealt. One-Leg, Manfire (a legally blind fellow who currently thru-hiking) and many others are proof that a physical challenge should not prevent us from living our dreams and doing the things we love.

One Leg
12-06-2005, 01:43
I'm touched when I realize that I have a lot of friends on here. You guys are the cream of the crop. Thank you, each and every one of you, for making me feel like part of the family, like a true member of the hiking community.

I've not shared it before now, but I finished my hike on Sept.21st at Harpers Ferry. The day before Thanksgiving, I received my paperwork from the ATC...... Sweet~!

As if that weren't good enough news, I received my acceptance letter in the mail from John A. Gupton College in Nashville..... So I am officially a college student, and start on Jan.2nd. And, yes, the rumors are true...... I'll be a mortician when I finish college.

I really hope I get the chance to see some of you at the upcoming SORUCK and the Wilderness Wildlife Week......

Words can't express my feelings for you guys.... I love all of you.

-Scott

Cookerhiker
12-06-2005, 08:11
I'm touched when I realize that I have a lot of friends on here. You guys are the cream of the crop. Thank you, each and every one of you, for making me feel like part of the family, like a true member of the hiking community.

I've not shared it before now, but I finished my hike on Sept.21st at Harpers Ferry. The day before Thanksgiving, I received my paperwork from the ATC...... Sweet~!

As if that weren't good enough news, I received my acceptance letter in the mail from John A. Gupton College in Nashville..... So I am officially a college student, and start on Jan.2nd. And, yes, the rumors are true...... I'll be a mortician when I finish college.

I really hope I get the chance to see some of you at the upcoming SORUCK and the Wilderness Wildlife Week......

Words can't express my feelings for you guys.... I love all of you.

-Scott

Congrats on all fronts - for finishing the Trail and entering college! Keep in touch on WhiteBlaze.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-07-2007, 16:35
Bumping this really old thread to see if anyone has heard from One-Leg lately.

Lilred
11-07-2007, 18:52
As a matter of fact, he IM'd me just yesterday. Everyone is doing fine. He's working at a post office now and loving it. We talked about going hiking together on the Cumberland trail the end of next March. He's still hiking, did the Daniel Boone trail recently. He sent me a pic of his family and they all look wonderful. It was good to hear from him again.