PDA

View Full Version : The GPS app that i use for navigation on my iPhone

TareqBloo
08-23-2015, 16:12
I have used iArrow for two years now and find it very helpful and very effective app. It works offline and helps to save my waypoints to navigate precisely to them later, displays detailed GPS info and does a lot lot more. Very simple and clean interface but doing a lot of things. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iarrow/id626748307?mt=8

Fredt4
08-23-2015, 18:44
Get an Android, better apps.

Dochartaigh
08-23-2015, 18:56
It looks like no maps can be used on it? I use the Gaia GPS app because I can download Topo and Google satellite maps (and like 20 other types of maps) on it for offline use. $20, but a one time fee and you can get all the maps you want.

TareqBloo
08-23-2015, 19:20
It looks like no maps can be used on it? I use the Gaia GPS app because I can download Topo and Google satellite maps (and like 20 other types of maps) on it for offline use. $20, but a one time fee and you can get all the maps you want.

Not exactly, if i need a map i just cache necessary region and the app shows cached map area while works offline.

archie
08-23-2015, 19:45
TareqBloo,

Are you affiliated with Iarrow in any way?

backpacker451
08-23-2015, 19:54
I vote for Gaia GPS. I have the entire AT on it and with offline maps, I find very helpful for reference.

SWODaddy
08-23-2015, 20:00
I like viewranger for planned routes. Guthook's app would be good for a thru hike, though the GPS fixes can be a little slow.

fiddlehead
08-23-2015, 20:57
Watching this tread closely and checking out the options.
I am hoping for topo maps (free???) that would show other countries besides the USA.
I tried "View Ranger" as it has 20 other countries.
But not Thailand.
So far, the best I've found is the topo on "My Tracks" although contour lines are only 20 meters apart.
I'd love something more detailed if anyone has any ideas.
But, the Gaia looks great and maybe will be able to download some other companies maps???
(or other countries in the future)
Any advice is most welcomed.
Thanks.

upstream
08-23-2015, 21:51
Rmaps for android is free and has free topo maps of many types for many countries (I believe most are russian supplied, although usgs maps are avalable). I don't think it is available from Google Play, you have to install F-Droid to get it, or find the apk and install it yourself. It doesn't have the USFS topos available from caltopo, but it does have a lot of choices. And you can save a group for use offline.

Connie
05-07-2016, 12:22
This is an older thread, but it is worth mentioning "gps thailand" in Apple Store search has quite a selection.

I like Topo Maps app, but I also like the new 3D topo maps apps for GPS.

Right now, I am trying out the selection of GPS map apps, for the display and ease of use.

If people have current favorite apps, whether i-apps or Android, I am interested.