PDA

View Full Version : What can you do if someone is snoring?

rickb
11-27-2005, 12:15
This poll asks what you can ethically do when assaulted by loud snoring within a shelter.

saimyoji
11-27-2005, 12:17
What poll?

I would take some little pieces of wadded toilet paper and shove them.....

In my own ears, as I probably woke myself up snoring! :datz

Lone Wolf
11-27-2005, 12:23
Nothing you can do. If you're stupid enuf to stay in a dirty wooden box when there's thousands of acres of woods around you to camp, then suffer.

Two Speed
11-27-2005, 12:44
This poll asks what you can ethically do when assaulted by loud snoring within a shelter.Does this satisfy the definition of "assault" if you choose to sleep in the trail shelter in the first place? Now if some uninvited bozo tries to snuggle up in your tent I'd be more than OK with strong measures, up to and including inflicting fatal injury.

saimyoji
11-27-2005, 12:49
Hmmm, I missed the poll the first time around. Agree with LW here. Carry a shelter...use it.

Tin Man
11-27-2005, 13:17
We only stay in newer shelters that appear somewhat clean and only when no one is there besides us. My brother and I are competitive snorers and we do not want to disturb anyone or have to compete with anyone else. Live and let snore we say. We only get combative when the mice start snoring.

rickb
11-27-2005, 13:24
Tents and tarps are great when you don't need one (ie. when its not raining).

Two Speed
11-27-2005, 13:36
I'm starting to enjoy cowboy camping if the weather's nice. If it's raining I'm generally in my tent. Each to their own.

While we're at it, may I respectfully ask if you believe that escalating a breach of manners to a physical confrontation is a good idea?

rickb
11-27-2005, 13:47
While we're at it, may I respectfully ask if you believe that escalating a breach of manners to a physical confrontation is a good idea?

It depends on a bunch of stuff.

I think it is almost aways acceptable for a guy to throw a balled-up sock at a buddy who is snoring too loudly.

On the other hand there are times when I wouldn't dare gently nudge my wife in similar circumstances. Life is simply too precious.

jackiebolen
11-27-2005, 13:51
Sleep in a tent?

justusryans
11-27-2005, 14:28
This poll asks what you can ethically do when assaulted by loud snoring within a shelter.

You had to go and ruin it with words like ethically!!:D

Lumberjack
11-27-2005, 14:58
Dont expect any sympathy from me. I snore like a lumberjack...

Two Speed
11-27-2005, 15:15
It depends on a bunch of stuff.

I think it is almost aways acceptable for a guy to throw a balled-up sock at a buddy who is snoring too loudly.

On the other hand there are times when I wouldn't dare gently nudge my wife in similar circumstances. Life is simply too precious.Well, a balled up sock is different than a boot. Depending on how dirty the sock is, it could be worse. :eek: Do you aim for your buddy's piehole by any chance, and do you restrict yourself to clean socks? :-?

Before you get offended, I'm just trying to figure out if I need to clear out if I see you in a shelter. Gagging on a dirty hiker's sock in the middle of the night DOES rise to assault in my book.

As far as the wife goes that only shows that you know that discretion is the better part of valor. :D

justusryans
11-27-2005, 15:22
Dont expect any sympathy from me. I snore like a lumberjack...

Me too!! But my own snores don't wake me up!!:banana

Fiddler
11-27-2005, 15:34
Some snorers don't believe it when they are told. None of the really loud ones believe how bad they are. Short of surgery there isn't much they can do. The little tape-on nose thingys work for a few, but not many. Plug your ears, go out and put up your tent, or put up with it.

prozac
11-27-2005, 16:06
I prefer a shelter as it cuts down on pack up time in the morning and it just plain sucks packing up in the rain. That being said, if you are sharing a shelter with others and you snore like a chainsaw, please point it out beforehand. Gives me the option to stay or move but at least I'm forewarned. Just common courtesy.

SGT Rock
11-27-2005, 17:43
Sleep at least 100 yards from the shelter. That will learn that snorer.

Jack Tarlin
11-27-2005, 18:09
If one KNOWS they snore, out of courtesy, they should avoid shelters unless the weather is really horrible.

But if one is really sensitive to noise at night, well these folks should avoid them too.

(In truth I agree with Wolf.....I think EVERYONE would do well to avoid shelters!)

I'm very sensitive to shelter noise; I can't sleep if someone's in there snoring away, so I never stay in shelters unless they're empty or there's torrential rain outside. Also, I came to realize that I snore pretty badly myself sometimes. I always denied this til I was caught on a tape recorder in 1998; it sounded like a cat in a blender, and I realized it was pretty lousy to inflict that on anyone unless they happened to be in my tent at the time. After this, I NEVER stayed in shelters unless I couldn't help it.

In any case, the answer to your question is that it's perfectly OK to gently wake up a snorer; just try not to wake up everyone else in the process. And if he starts sawing away again, then wake him up again. Most people that snore KNOW that they snore, so if they had any consideration at all, they wouldn't even be in the shelter in the first place, so I see no problem with rousing them. NOBODY has the right to deprive anyone of their rest....people that stay up late talking, playing cards, or listening to music aren't tolerated, so why should it be different for snorers.

If a person is REALLY loud, they need to be told, bluntly, by several different folks, that they need to start tenting, but on the other hand, folks that are overly sensitive to snoring and other night noise should be tenting as well.

Tin Man
11-27-2005, 19:03
My brother and I practice good snoring etiquette by tenting when others are present. Well, there was the time a late hiker with a broom fetish came in and created a dust storm that covered our bags and our stuff. With a smile and a wink, we decided an extra night cap was in order to boost the snore factor. In the morning, Mr. Broom noted our snoring and was quite chagrined when we told him he did a pretty good rendition of a chainsaw himself. Unfortunately, we were on the same pace and ran into Mr. Broom again at the next shelter. When he took out the broom, we skedaddled to set up our tent. As it turned out, he had the company of two women (one 70ish, one 40ish), two men (early twenties), and a hyperactive dog! We didn't stick around in the morning to see how that turned out.

soulrebel
11-27-2005, 19:25
Judo Chop!!!

ed bell
11-27-2005, 20:24
Tin Man has a very healthy approach here. I am a snorin' fool myself and I always try to keep myself away from others at sleep time. In the Smokys shelter habitation is required unless one is walking all the way through. When I find myself in this situation, I generally warn those around about my tendancy to saw the log and tell them to coax me to turn over on my belly if it gets to be a problem. Seems to work long enough to give them a shot at REM sleep. Remember everyone: we did not choose to be snorers.

Sly
11-27-2005, 22:31
In any case, the answer to your question is that it's perfectly OK to gently wake up a snorer; just try not to wake up everyone else in the process. And if he starts sawing away again, then wake him up again. Most people that snore KNOW that they snore, so if they had any consideration at all, they wouldn't even be in the shelter in the first place, so I see no problem with rousing them.

Can it Jack, then you wont have to keep repeating yourself.

So snorers should sleep in the woods at all times? What about hostels Jack? They can only visit during the daytime? Sleep on the deck? What if they out number light sleepers?

If one has a problem sleeping near others on a trail as popular as the AT, perhaps they need to adjust. Earplugs?

MOWGLI
11-27-2005, 22:35
Shelters are first come, first served - period. Let the buyer beware. Carry earplugs or a tent if you don't like snoring.

Sly
11-27-2005, 22:42
Shelters are first come, first served - period. Let the buyer beware. Carry earplugs or a tent if you don't like snoring.

Exactly. Sometimes Jack reminds me of a "whining liberal." :p

smokymtnsteve
11-27-2005, 22:53
Because He hiked 8 times..

he draws the lines..

(re: johnny cash thread :rolleyes: )

MOWGLI
11-27-2005, 23:08
SMS, when it comes to this issue, we should alll have your "problem." Snoring? I didn't hear any snoring. :D

smokymtnsteve
11-28-2005, 00:46
SMS, when it comes to this issue, we should alll have your "problem." Snoring? I didn't hear any snoring. :D

OH the HEARING problem ..not that OTHER problem :eek:

Teatime
11-28-2005, 10:49
The A.T. doesn't belong to thru-hikers, no matter how many times they have done it. They have no more rights than someone out for an overnighter or day hike.
Sometimes I stay in shelters, sometimes I don't. I'm not sure if I snore but suspect that I do at least sometimes. It really doesn't bother me if others snore. My Dad snored so loud when I was a kid that I grew immune to the sound of it. It actually is a little comforting to me when I hear a snore like my Dad's, who has been dead 21 years. I agree with what some others are saying:
- If you know that you snore, sleep in your tent if you can. If the weather is bad and you want to stay in the shelter, let your shelter mates know that you snore. Maybe even carry a few pairs of those sponge ear plugs to pass out.
- The shelter is first come, first served. If you are going to sleep in a shelter, learn to deal with all that it includes (mice, snoring, rookies, greenhorns, etc.)
- Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Tin Man
11-28-2005, 11:23
If you are going to sleep in a shelter, learn to deal with all that it includes (mice, snoring, rookies, greenhorns, etc.)

I hate it when those rookies and greenhorns go out in the woods and spoil it for the rest of us! Oops, wait a minute, I think we all had to be rookies and greenhorns at one point! :eek:

Skeemer
11-28-2005, 11:28
...I see you're now following SMS around from thread to thread.

And, BTW, you're giving out *****ty advice...Maybe even carry a few pairs of those sponge ear plugs to pass out....sponge ear plugs only work for people who are already deaf. Even the solid ones can't stop the loud snorers from ruining other's sleep. Try'n be a little more sensative.

Oh yeah, this... Do unto others as you would have them do unto you....never thought of that :datz

And you're wrong about thru-hikers they have more rights...we're all beat up and tired while those pussy day hikers can afford to lose a night's sleep...please think before you post.

Lone Wolf
11-28-2005, 11:35
Skeemer, you're FOS! Thru-hikers ain't s**t!:D

Skeemer
11-28-2005, 11:43
...you're just pissed because one of the choices was'nt "pull out your pistol and blow the mf away.:(

Lone Wolf
11-28-2005, 11:50
No need to. I don't stay in those dirty ass mouse infested boxes.

SGT Rock
11-28-2005, 11:55
Actually LWolf would use the snoring as a cover for the noise he would make as he sneaks up and burns it down.

rickb
11-28-2005, 12:37
I don't see snoring as some sort of character flaw. Its not about being rude or impolite, its about restricted airflow. Big deal.

What I don't really understand why it is that so many folks would hesitate to politely, and respectfully wake up the person who is snoring.

Were I sawing wood loudly, I would not begrudge one of the half dozen or so people I was disturbing to tell me to roll over.

And to do so directly. No need to shake the bunk we were sharing or make a sharp noise that you can pretend you didn't make. No reason to get up noisily to protect you food against a phantom critter that was after your food (even though this can be an effective tactic insofar as mention of a bear will keep some snorers awake for hours), or to "accidentally" drop you light by my hear after a trip to the outhouse. No , just wake me up. If you snore some night, I'll return the favor.

I think it would be better for everyone if it was understood that its OK to wake someone up who is snoring. And its OK to be woken up. Repeatedly, if needed.

What's the big deal? Why suffer in silence?

Marta
11-28-2005, 14:02
I was already set up in a shelter once when a couple of guys showed up. One of them announced that he snores loudly, and then handed out packages of brand-new earplugs to everyone else in the shelter.

But, in general, I agree that tents and especially hammocks are the best option.

Jack Tarlin
11-28-2005, 15:40
Hey Sly, lighten up. And try reading my post again. I made it very clear (in fact I said it twice) that since snoring comes with the territory, that folks that are particularly sensitive to it would do best to avoid shelters.

On the other hand, it is indeed true that people who have a snoring problem always know it, and as a courtesy to others, they'd do well to avoid shelters whenever possible.

Nobody has a right to engage in behavior that prevents others from getting badly needed rest; if someone is snoring loudly, it's perfectly OK to gently wake them up.

Why you find this opinion so objectionable is a mystery to me.

Mags
11-28-2005, 15:53

I thought you carry a shelter to well..shelter you from rain and snow.

Shelters can be nice in really bad weather. But, I don't like camping with 15 of my closest hiking buddies! If you want a good night's sleep, tent/tarp/hammock it.

Shelters are noisy, dirty and uncomfortable.

YMMV.

Uncle Silly
11-28-2005, 16:01
Ethically, you can't do anything to the snoring hiker. It's just as impolite of you to wake them up as it is for them to keep you awake. Snoring hikers are a risk you take when you share a public shelter. You have no "right" to silence at night any more than the snorer has control over his/her snoring. Especially on public lands in the wilderness! Do you expect the wildlife to remain quiet when you're asleep? No coyote howls or owl hoots? If it'll bother you, bring earplugs, tent elsewhere, or cope.

I'm sure I snore a bit, but once in a while, not every night. What am I supposed to do? Tell everyone at the shelter there's a 10% chance I'll snore tonight?

smokymtnsteve
11-28-2005, 16:26
GA law doesn't allow the unauthorized touching of one human being to another, in GA this is known as SIMPLE BATTERY, (not to be confused with AAA batteries :eek: ) so it is against GA law to gently wake another human.

also by waking the snorer, if not by touching them (which in GA is against the law), then U would have to make a louder sound than the snorer, thereby possibly waking additional folks who were not awakened the snorer, so ethcially there is nothing U can do about a snorer.

Tin Man
11-28-2005, 16:28
Asking a snorer to stop snoring is like asking them to stop breathing. [Asking a snorer to turn over doesn't always help and they are likely to turn over again anyway.] While one may like the idea of asking a snorer to stop breathing, I think one should remember that shelters are like any public place.
You can be as polite or impolite about establishing "house rules", but in the end if you don't like the rules as they develop, it is in your power to leave at any time. Always carry a shelter - sooner or later you will need it.

Live and let snore (breathe).

SGT Rock
11-28-2005, 16:37
What if I just come by to fart a lot?

Footslogger
11-28-2005, 16:40
=============================
Careful there Rock ...you might get a new trail name.

'Slogger (the hiker formerly known as TOOT)

smokymtnsteve
11-28-2005, 16:57

we already have a OLD Phart :eek:

but is OK with me, as along with not hearing well, the AZT destroyed my olafactory sense also...so TOOT away :D

MOWGLI
11-28-2005, 17:17
but is OK with me, as along with not hearing well, the AZT destroyed my olafactory sense also...so TOOT away :D

So how do you tell good coffee from bad cofee? The pricetag?

smokymtnsteve
11-28-2005, 17:24
So how do you tell good coffee from bad cofee? The pricetag?

acid content. :D

not totally dystroyed just weakened, :D

just like my hearing..I must concentrate and listen carefully..so with the coffee have it really strong hold the cup close, and inhale deeply...ahhh

same with as with my woman...must check things out closely...:eek:

don't wanna spend time in the dog house ala 92 ;)

Tin Man
11-28-2005, 17:28

Flagellation qualifies for extra points.

MOWGLI
11-28-2005, 17:44
don't wanna spend time in the dog house ala 92 ;)

Hey! I resemble that remark!

flyfisher
11-29-2005, 10:45
Nothing you can do. If you're stupid enuf to stay in a dirty wooden box when there's thousands of acres of woods around you to camp, then suffer.

Good definition of the Smoky Mountains, where staying in shelters is required.

I usually use my ear plugs in hostels, not in shelters. Almost everywhere, I can hammock camp outside shelters, even when I want to be near the shelter for company.

Lone Wolf
11-29-2005, 10:47
I stealth in the Smoky's. No shelters for me.

Patrick
11-29-2005, 13:05
I agree. I don't have the first idea why anyone would stay in a shelter, especially with others.

Come over to the wonderful world of sharing dinner and stories at the shelter then walking off into the woods for a quiet night. Even without the snoring, I can't stand all of the other people noises. Almost as bad, I don't want to have to worry about making too much noise myself.

Hanging in my hammock by myself means I can toss and turn to my heart's content, stay up to read, listen to my headphones, or anything else without having to worry about bugging anyone.

Why do you have to shelter in the Smokies? Is it bears or overuse or what?

Sly
11-29-2005, 13:13
=============================
Careful there Rock ...you might get a new trail name.

'Slogger (the hiker formerly known as TOOT)

Young Phart. :D

Footslogger
11-29-2005, 13:48
Young Phart. :D
============================
That'd be SEARGENT Young Phart then ...correct ?? Or would it be "Top Phart" ??

'Slogger

Skeemer
11-29-2005, 13:51
You're obsessed with excess gas!:eek:

Footslogger
11-29-2005, 14:11
You're obsessed with excess gas!:eek:
==================================
Not obsessed ...just endowed !!

'Slogger (or should I say "TootSlogger" - which is what Lightshoe called me)

orangebug
11-29-2005, 14:15
There can be good reasons to stay in shelters, especially during rain or winter storms. At that point, if there is a snorer (and there will be if I am there) you will just have to deal with it.

Footslogger
11-29-2005, 14:20
[quote=orangebug]There can be good reasons to stay in shelters, especially during rain
======================================
That was my excuse in 2003 ...and I am told that I did snor a bit but somewhat rythmically, such that it lulled everyone off to sleep.

'Slogger

Tin Man
11-29-2005, 14:35
...and I am told that I did snor a bit but somewhat rythmically, such that it lulled everyone off to sleep.

'Slogger

It also helps when another snorer is louder than you. :D

Footslogger
11-29-2005, 14:38
It also helps when another snorer is louder than you. :D
=================================
The trick then would be to synchronize your snor to coincide with the louder one.

'Slogger

MOWGLI
11-29-2005, 15:12
I think it would be better for everyone if it was understood that its OK to wake someone up who is snoring. And its OK to be woken up. Repeatedly, if needed.

What's the big deal? Why suffer in silence?

You're walkin' a fine line here. Yes, it would be better if EVERYONE understood this, but EVERYONE doesn't understand this. I have personally witnessed abusive behavior in shelters. The target was a 70+ year old guy. He was treated as if he could do something about his snoring, which he couldn't. SO instead, people threatened him and threw things at him. Disgraceful!

If you're hiking with a posse and someone in your group is snoring, that's one thing. To wake someone up repeatedly - someone who you don't know - is probably a bad idea. You can go ahead and try, but you better be willing to accept the consequences of your behavior. Some people may not take too kindly to being woken, especially repeatedly.

On my thru-hke, I'd ask people, "do you snore?" If they said yes, I setup my tent. Anyway, I almost always sleep better in my tent than I do in a shelter.

Carry a tent/tarp/hammock, and be prepared to use it.

rickb
11-29-2005, 15:28
Good point.

The conclusion I have drawn from this thread is that I will let other people know that its OK to wake me up if I snore, but unless they say the same thing to me in return, I'll just suffer in silence.

Tin Man
11-29-2005, 15:36
Carry a tent/tarp/hammock, and be prepared to use it.

Actually, this is all that needs to be said. Snoring is only one behavior that people sharing a shelter might have to deal with. If you don't like the behavior (snoring, farting, belching, banjo playing, bungee jumping mice etc.), leave. Whatever you do, don't ask a snorer to stop breathing and snoring IS breathing.

Toolshed
11-29-2005, 18:31
HERE'S what YOU do. It take a LOT of COURAGE, but I gaurantee the snorer will stop snoring the rest of the night and at least for the next few shelters beyond.

This works best on darker nights - Slowly and silently unzip your bag and keep it at the ready to crawl back into quickly. Crawl over to the snorer and memorize the quickest route back to your bag. Now while you are hovering over the snorer, quickly Lock your lips over theirs and plant a quick french kiss on them and get back in your bag quickly.

I guarantee it will take the snorer at least 5-6 seconds to catch their bearings and figure out where they are, especially if it was a full soft wet kiss. By the time this happens, you are back in your bag, snoring gently away.

The snorer will end up stayign awake the rest of the night, absolutely afraid to go to sleep and will probably complain to hiking companions that there is either a lesiban hiker or a man that's hot for her, or a gay hiker or a woman that's hot for him. Either eay it will keep the snorer wondering all day long for the next couple of days and it will have him or her sleeping so lightly at night that they probably won't snore.

The only down side is that in the midst of your french kiss - especially if it is a shade too long (don't get carried away), they start reciprocating and put their arms around you and give you full tongue back. You're on your own here.

Tin Man
11-29-2005, 18:48
HERE'S what YOU do. It take a LOT of COURAGE, but I gaurantee the snorer will stop snoring the rest of the night and at least for the next few shelters beyond.

This works best on darker nights - Slowly and silently unzip your bag and keep it at the ready to crawl back into quickly. Crawl over to the snorer and memorize the quickest route back to your bag. Now while you are hovering over the snorer, quickly Lock your lips over theirs and plant a quick french kiss on them and get back in your bag quickly.

I guarantee it will take the snorer at least 5-6 seconds to catch their bearings and figure out where they are, especially if it was a full soft wet kiss. By the time this happens, you are back in your bag, snoring gently away.

The snorer will end up stayign awake the rest of the night, absolutely afraid to go to sleep and will probably complain to hiking companions that there is either a lesiban hiker or a man that's hot for her, or a gay hiker or a woman that's hot for him. Either eay it will keep the snorer wondering all day long for the next couple of days and it will have him or her sleeping so lightly at night that they probably won't snore.

The only down side is that in the midst of your french kiss - especially if it is a shade too long (don't get carried away), they start reciprocating and put their arms around you and give you full tongue back. You're on your own here.

This thread has just taken a turn for the worse. Shaking, hitting, throwing things I can understand. French kissing - now that is sick! Let us know when you plan to be on the trail.

orangebug
11-29-2005, 22:17
Reminds me of American Vacation when the 10 year old girl proudly announces "Daddy always said I was the best at French kissing." :eek:

saimyoji
11-29-2005, 23:39
National Lampoon's: Vacation....

"I think you're all *****ed in the head. We're ten hours from the *****ing fun park and you want to bail out. Well I'll tell you something. This is no longer a vacation. It's a quest. It's a quest for fun. I'm gonna have fun and you're gonna have fun. We're all gonna have so much *****ing fun we'll need plastic surgeory to remove our godamn smiles. You'll be whistling 'Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah' out of you're a**holes! I gotta be crazy! I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose. Praise Marty Moose! Holy ****!" :clap

Skeemer
11-29-2005, 23:57
Tin Man advises:
quickly Lock your lips over theirs and plant a quick french kiss on them and get back in your bag quickly.

Been there, done that...didn't work...got an erection and stayed awake myself all night waiting for it to go down...ended up ripping a hole in my bag.

Thank you saimyoji
National Lampoon's: Vacation....

"I think you're all *****ed in the head. We're ten hours from the *****ing fun park and you want to bail out. Well I'll tell you something. This is no longer a vacation. It's a quest. It's a quest for fun. I'm gonna have fun and you're gonna have fun. We're all gonna have so much *****ing fun we'll need plastic surgeory to remove our godamn smiles. You'll be whistling 'Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah' out of you're a**holes! I gotta be crazy! I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose. Praise Marty Moose! Holy ****!"

Made my day!!

rickb
11-29-2005, 23:59
Did the guy have a beard?

Tin Man
11-30-2005, 00:04
Been there, done that...didn't work...got an erection and stayed awake myself all night waiting for it to go down...ended up ripping a hole in my bag.

Made my day!!

Excuse me. That was Toolshed's quote you quoted not mine. Please be careful when you edit a quote. Thanks.

ed bell
11-30-2005, 00:17
I noticed the quote error myself. I never knew so many people had hidden anger/love for us snorers. I live down here in the south, but I've never heard about being extra cautious if you are a snorer!:D

Tin Man
11-30-2005, 00:22
I noticed the quote error myself. I never knew so many people had hidden anger/love for us snorers. I live down here in the south, but I've never heard about being extra cautious if you are a snorer!:D

I know. In the future, I will park my tent an extra half mile or so from shelters just to make sure my snoring doesn't offend anyone especially that french kissing Toolshed dude. :D

Skeemer
11-30-2005, 01:19
Tin Man caught me screwing up:
Excuse me. That was Toolshed's quote you quoted not mine. Please be careful when you edit a quote. Thanks.

Jeez, one would think you'd thank me for giving you some character.:D

Toolshed should be the one that's pissed.

My apologies to both of you fine folks.

Teatime
11-30-2005, 02:11
Personally, I do defer to thru-hikers because of their situation. However, when I walk into a shelter that already has a few thru-hikers in it, the last question I want to hear is "Do you snore?" This happened on my last section-hike and I just blew it off and stayed in the shelter anyway. I ended up having a very pleasant evening with them. Your wrong about the ear plugs, I work 3rd shift and sleep during the day. I have had to wear them lately as they are building a house next door and it get pretty noisy. They don't kill all the sound but they dull it enough where it doesn't bother me so much. My sister is a day-hiker and she could hike any one of you guys into the ground. Oh, did I mention she is 60 years old? In her 50s she could pass the Army physical fitness test, not the female test, the male test. :eek:
...I see you're now following SMS around from thread to thread.

And, BTW, you're giving out *****ty advice...Maybe even carry a few pairs of those sponge ear plugs to pass out....sponge ear plugs only work for people who are already deaf. Even the solid ones can't stop the loud snorers from ruining other's sleep. Try'n be a little more sensative.

Oh yeah, this... Do unto others as you would have them do unto you....never thought of that :datz

And you're wrong about thru-hikers they have more rights...we're all beat up and tired while those pussy day hikers can afford to lose a night's sleep...please think before you post.

Teatime
11-30-2005, 02:15
Let me clarify, by rookies I mean folks who set up tents in shelters. Not just a bivy or a something small, I'm talking REI Half Dome, complete with rain fly. Fortunately, their was plenty of room in the shelter and the folks were nice.
I hate it when those rookies and greenhorns go out in the woods and spoil it for the rest of us! Oops, wait a minute, I think we all had to be rookies and greenhorns at one point! :eek:

Tin Man
11-30-2005, 08:14
Jeez, one would think you'd thank me for giving you some character.:D

Toolshed should be the one that's pissed.

My apologies to both of you fine folks.

No problem. Some might say I am quite the character, but thanks anyway.

justusryans
11-30-2005, 10:17
Reminds me of American Vacation when the 10 year old girl proudly announces "Daddy always said I was the best at French kissing." :eek:

Actually it was her teacher who said she was best. Freuidian slip?:D :eek:

JustPassinThru
11-30-2005, 11:54
Flagellation qualifies for extra points.Excuse me, but don't you mean "flatulence"? Flagellation is the act of whipping or scourging. And we certainaly don't need any of that on the trail or in the shelters. Although it appears that verbal lashings are okay.

Tin Man
11-30-2005, 12:02
Excuse me, but don't you mean "flatulence"? Flagellation is the act of whipping or scourging. And we certainaly don't need any of that on the trail or in the shelters. Although it appears that verbal lashings are okay.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

Footslogger
11-30-2005, 12:18
[quote=Teatime] My sister is a day-hiker and she could hike any one of you guys into the ground.
======================================
Yo Skeemer ...that sounds like a challenge ??

'Slogger

Sleepy the Arab
11-30-2005, 14:50
I believe flagellation is a fart that snaps back to whip you across the nose. They are most foul.

Mouse
11-30-2005, 15:47
I LOVED the AYH Hostels at Harpers Ferry and Pine Grove Furnace. Female-only bunkrooms meant a huge drop in decibals! :bse But everywhere else I just reached for my earplugs.

Though shelters were never too bad. Hostels always seemed to reverbrate more. And if you think they are bad, try the crowded focs'le of a sailing ship for snores! :eek:

Jaybird
12-19-2005, 10:15

i voted for the EAR-PLUGS thang....altho'...i'm probably one of the OFFENDERS that would get a BOOT upside the head....hehehehehehe:D

i never have problems falling asleep after a long day of hikin'....so, SNORERS never bother me.

Toolshed
12-19-2005, 15:16
To all snorers:
Shall I let the board know when and what sections of the trail I am planning to backpack on this year :jump

drsukie
12-19-2005, 15:53
NO ONE, and I repeat that, can top our friend Brian. He earned his Trail Name within one hour of all of us "falling asleep", and I use that term lightly, the first time I did the Approach Trail: Bear Repellant.

Glenn, the Ridgerunner for this section (in 2004, I think 2005, too), was tracking a nuisance bear which had been reported at Stover and Springer shelters in the last two nights.

We all guessed, but Glenn confirmed: there was NO way that bear would have come near us that night. Since then, my heavy-duty industrial earplugs work JUST fine! ;)

Sue

rickb
05-06-2009, 06:12
Seems like gently nudging someone or throwing a soft object might produce a bad result.

Being a pacifist, I might amend my answer now.

If someone was talking loudly I would ask them to tone it down, why can't I do that to a snorer?

Not sure.

Grinder
05-06-2009, 06:34
Interesting situation at the NOC hostel last month:
4 man room 4 men in room. one snorer
I wear ear plugs and have learned how to tune it out.
Another guy sharing the room appointed himself "Master of Snoring Control". Each time the snoring began, he would say, in a loud voice, "Dude!! You're snoring!!"

I have to say that this was worse than the snorer. Extending my passive acceptance of the snorng to the Master of snoring, I suffered in silence. I could only see a big deal erupting from getting involved.

Finally, some time later, the snorer moved out to the deck.

very interesting!! What say you?

Tin Man
05-06-2009, 06:45
the snorer has the right to breath where he wants
the yeller has the right to be a dick
the person in the tent has the right to laugh

Desert Reprobate
05-06-2009, 06:48
You never want to disturb a snorer. It makes me wake up cranky

kanga
05-06-2009, 07:50

tarps and tents are great when it is raining too. snuggle up with your honey. play some cards. draw. nap listening to the rain pitter patter on the silnylon. not much better for a zero on the trail. i have no idea why someone would want to stay in a moldy rat infested hole when you could have fresh air and privacy. when it rains mice want to get dry too. plus pee really stinks when you add moisture and stale air.

Lone Wolf
05-06-2009, 08:13
i have no idea why someone would want to stay in a moldy rat infested hole when you could have fresh air and privacy.

laziness.....

Two Tents
05-06-2009, 09:15
It has been rumored that I snore. I stayed awake one night to see if it was true and didn't snore a bit! Stinking rumors!---Two Tents

jrnj5k
05-06-2009, 09:39
I say snoring is a punishment for choosing to sleep in a shelter.

vamelungeon
05-06-2009, 10:02
Seems like gently nudging someone or throwing a soft object might produce a bad result.

Being a pacifist, I might amend my answer now.

If someone was talking loudly I would ask them to tone it down, why can't I do that to a snorer?

Not sure.
Because talking is voluntary while snoring is involuntary behavior. If snorers could stop snoring they would, but they have no control over it.
If people can't stand snoring they should avoid situations where they will be exposed to it.

Kanati
05-06-2009, 14:13
I just thought of something that may work. When your shelter neighbor starts snoring, which should be before everyone else gets to sleep, reach over and pinch their nose together and hold it. Soon they will wake up, cold cock you and you will sleep nicely for several hours. Ha-ha.

LOL :banana

P.S. What is the true meaning of LOL ? Perhaps one of you "thread-starters" should launch something in the humor section on the growing popularity of using acronyms.

Waiting

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-06-2009, 14:36
I think everyone should have lived in my childhood home for a couple of months, after 2 months of my stepfathers snoring anything else would be considered peace and quiet

Princess Hoot
05-07-2009, 09:35
rick boudrie? If this is so.................I am a Boudrie also.............where do you come from?

Roan Creeper
05-07-2009, 10:53
Ear plugs...obv. I've been wearing them camping, cheap hotels, etc.

Big Red 68
05-07-2009, 11:09
i snore pretty loud and we came up to a shelter and decided to stay in the area for the night. We had not decided though if we all were going to stay in the shelter, when these two very annoying hikers came up and took over the shelter. They put their stuff every where. I looked at my 2 buddies and told them i was definatly slepping in the shelter that night. My buddies woke up the next morning saying other 2 got up early and was complaining about my snoring when they left. IF they were not being so rude when they arrived i would have slept in my tent away from the shelter, a little bit of trail justice.

LimpsAlong
09-01-2009, 11:08
Lightweight and lots of fun! I worked offshore for 25 years and this works like a champ. Fill the pistol before going to sleep. When the offender starts up the chainsaw, slowly take aim, hit him with a quick squirt and lay your head back down quick. The usual response is for them to awaken and look up to see where the "drip" came from. The only drawback is that I found myself staying awake just waiting for the chance to "pop a cap" on the snorer. Also you need to smother your face in the pillow to stifle your giggles.
Fun and effective !

chefjason
09-01-2009, 12:32
Lightweight and lots of fun! I worked offshore for 25 years and this works like a champ. Fill the pistol before going to sleep. When the offender starts up the chainsaw, slowly take aim, hit him with a quick squirt and lay your head back down quick. The usual response is for them to awaken and look up to see where the "drip" came from. The only drawback is that I found myself staying awake just waiting for the chance to "pop a cap" on the snorer. Also you need to smother your face in the pillow to stifle your giggles.
Fun and effective !
OMG! Where, how and WHY did you find this thread?! This thing dates back to 2005!! Funny to note though, even then LW was belligerent with his comments. But at least he is consistent!

LimpsAlong
09-01-2009, 12:44
Just joined WB. Drifting thru the forums and saw this one. I didn't look at the date. Oh well, I had fun writing the reply anyway.:sun

chefjason
09-01-2009, 12:57
Just joined WB. Drifting thru the forums and saw this one. I didn't look at the date. Oh well, I had fun writing the reply anyway.:sun
Cool. It was a humorus posting.

mister krabs
09-01-2009, 13:14

:welcome to whiteblaze!

vamelungeon
09-01-2009, 13:27
I snore, and I wouldn't if I had a choice.
If I am FORCED to stay in a shelter and anyone touches me in any way or sprays anything on me, that's assault & batter and I will use whatever force is necessary to defend myself, including inserting that water pistol where the sun don't shine on the shooter.
I cannot believe the number of people who think it's OK to commit a battery on someone who's snoring.
If you can't handle someone snoring, you shouldn't sleep in communal spaces. It's just that simple. Snorers have no control over snoring.

chefjason
09-01-2009, 13:35
I snore, and I wouldn't if I had a choice.
If I am FORCED to stay in a shelter and anyone touches me in any way or sprays anything on me, that's assault & batter and I will use whatever force is necessary to defend myself, including inserting that water pistol where the sun don't shine on the shooter.
I cannot believe the number of people who think it's OK to commit a battery on someone who's snoring.
If you can't handle someone snoring, you shouldn't sleep in communal spaces. It's just that simple. Snorers have no control over snoring.
Is there a chance that you are over reacting to this just a bit? i doubt very seriously that anyone would commit "assault & batter" on some one they did not know. I for one voted on the poll to throw something at the person, but that would ONLY be if I knew the guy well. As for a stranger, I think all the weapon threads on this forum would seriously detier any one from smakin' a stranger at night, unless the idea of "high velocity led" appeals to you...deep inside!

kanga
09-01-2009, 13:43
i was kinda under the impression it was joke. having a bad day?

vamelungeon
09-01-2009, 13:54
i was kinda under the impression it was joke. having a bad day?
I am probably a little touchy about it since I have actually had someone hit me while I was sleeping because I was snoring. It's a lousy thing to do to someone. Some here are probably joking, some probably aren't.

Cool AT Breeze
09-01-2009, 14:21
I am probably a little touchy about it since I have actually had someone hit me while I was sleeping because I was snoring. It's a lousy thing to do to someone. Some here are probably joking, some probably aren't.
I can't believe someone that knows they snore would sleep in a communal place. I don't stay in shelters so it doesent bother me. However I have stayed near shelters and heard the noise that some inconsiterate people can make. A little oatmeal sprinkled around their sleeping bag and the mice will keep them awake all night, no snoring.

Tin Man
09-01-2009, 14:38
I can't believe someone that knows they snore would sleep in a communal place. I don't stay in shelters so it doesent bother me. However I have stayed near shelters and heard the noise that some inconsiterate people can make. A little oatmeal sprinkled around their sleeping bag and the mice will keep them awake all night, no snoring.

snorers are allowed to breath wherever they want, just the same as those who kick, scream, rub their face all funny and fart when they sleep. just sayin

Tin Man
09-01-2009, 14:39
and i don't sleep in shelters because i may (or may not) do some of the above. :o

saimyoji
09-01-2009, 14:50
i had an ex girlfried that would felate away my snoring. worked pretty well.

maybe you could try that in the shelter.

Tin Man
09-01-2009, 14:52
i had an ex girlfried that would felate away my snoring. worked pretty well.

maybe you could try that in the shelter.

selfelate?

vamelungeon
09-01-2009, 14:52

I don't stay in the either. Notice I said "FORCED" to stay in one.
Snoring isn't inconsiderate, it's involuntary.

Father Dragon
09-01-2009, 15:19
In the times where I've chosen to stay in shelters and experienced some incredible snoring I've always just tried to ignore it. I really prefer my hammock or tent anyway. I say "chosen" because it is my choice to be there or not, I don't believe in forcing my will on others when I voluntarily decide to put myself in a situation where snoring might occur.

What gets me is that in my experience (as in my observation is thus constrained by it), the people that raise a stink about people snoring are often the ones who can't pack their gear up quietly at 5:30 in the morning. The trail is a social place and that means you've got to take the bad with the good. Of course I fart a lot so ... perhaps I'm just excusing my own involuntary bodily functions

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2009, 16:09
Boy, here we go again.

It's pretty simple: If you know you have a snoring problem that is likely to disturb others, then the considerate thing to do is to avoid staying in shelters.

And if you are overly sensitive to snoring (most folks find a way to deal with it), then you'd also do well to avoid staying in shelters.

Behavior that is likely to disturb others' sleep is rude, period, but if you elect to stay in a communal shared space, then there are certain things you may well have to put up with.

When it comes to snoring in shelters, you can pretty much deal with it or sleep somewhere else. It's not that complicated.

chefjason
09-01-2009, 17:01
You took a dead thread and resurrected a bitter feud between the folks with deviated septum's and the ones with overly acute hearing. For the thousandth time people...can't we all just get along?!:(

wakapak
09-01-2009, 17:05
You took a dead thread and resurrected a bitter feud between the folks with deviated septum's and the ones with overly acute hearing. For the thousandth time people...can't we all just get along?!:(

obviously not. :rolleyes:

Tin Man
09-01-2009, 17:15
shelters suck :)

wakapak
09-01-2009, 17:22

agreed. besides bein crammed in with lord-knows-who, you never know what's crawlin around in them....:D :p

chefjason
09-01-2009, 17:26
agreed. besides bein crammed in with lord-knows-who, you never know what's crawlin around in them....:D :p
I hope you are not refering to those nasty thru-hikers! Casue if it turns out that them nasty folks sleep in those shelters, then they ALL need to be burned!

rickb
09-01-2009, 19:24
Boy, here we go again. (Snip)

When it comes to snoring in shelters, you can pretty much deal with it or sleep somewhere else. It's not that complicated.

Is this the same Jack who answered this way earlier in the thread?

In any case, the answer to your question is that it's perfectly OK to gently wake up a snorer; just try not to wake up everyone else in the process. And if he starts sawing away again, then wake him up again. Most people that snore KNOW that they snore, so if they had any consideration at all, they wouldn't even be in the shelter in the first place, so I see no problem with rousing them. NOBODY has the right to deprive anyone of their rest....people that stay up late talking, playing cards, or listening to music aren't tolerated, so why should it be different for snorers.

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2009, 19:50
Good Lord, Rickb, that thing you quoted is around four years old! Nothin' much to do today, eh? :D

But tell you what, if you're gonna quote people here, you should be honest, and print the WHOLE quote. If you'd done that, which you deliberately didn't, people would see that I started the post that you selectively quoted by saying precisely what I said today, which was that the issue was pretty simple: If you snore, avoid shelters, and if you're bothered by it, you should also avoid shelters. Simple enough for you, Rick?

Only thing that's changed is that I don't wake people up anymore, mainly cuz I hardly ever stay in shelters anymore. But yeah, in regards to waking folks up, I changed my mind.

That a problem, Rick? I mean, changing one's mind about something after several years? You think that's somehow a bad thing or that it's news worth reporting?

I dunno, Rick. Considering some of the dumb things you've posted here lately, rethinking one's comments or views might be something you'd wanna look into. :rolleyes:

Egads
09-01-2009, 20:08
The best way to handle snoring is put distance between you and anyone else.

Sleepy the Arab
09-01-2009, 20:57
Earplugs work wonders on a snorer. Just keep stuffing them in their mouth until they stop breathing.

Frosty
09-01-2009, 21:44
Good Lord, Rickb, that thing you quoted is around four years old! Nothin' much to do today, eh? :D

But tell you what, if you're gonna quote people here, you should be honest, and print the WHOLE quote. If you'd done that, which you deliberately didn't, people would see that I started the post that you selectively quoted by saying precisely what I said today, which was that the issue was pretty simple: If you snore, avoid shelters, and if you're bothered by it, you should also avoid shelters. Simple enough for you, Rick?

Only thing that's changed is that I don't wake people up anymore, mainly cuz I hardly ever stay in shelters anymore. But yeah, in regards to waking folks up, I changed my mind.

That a problem, Rick? I mean, changing one's mind about something after several years? You think that's somehow a bad thing or that it's news worth reporting?

I dunno, Rick. Considering some of the dumb things you've posted here lately, rethinking one's comments or views might be something you'd wanna look into. :rolleyes:No more coffee for you tonight!

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2009, 22:11
Actually, Frosty I'm fine.

But taking four year old stuff and using incomplete quotes to try and score a debating point is sorta lame, OK?

rickb
09-01-2009, 22:20
Actually, Frosty I'm fine.

But taking four year old stuff and using incomplete quotes to try and score a debating point is sorta lame, OK?

Geesh.

The quote I posted was a complete thought. Not a debate.

But thanks for not sending me a PM on that. Or five. That would have really been lame. You know.

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2009, 23:16
Geez, Rick, you just never know when to let it go.

For those curious about what he's muttering about here, Rickb is still peevish over something that happened a few days ago.

We disagreed over, of all things, Warren Doyle's famous bathtub. Yeah. I know. A truly world-altering, really imprtant issue.

Not wishing to discuss the subject publicly (believe it or not, I make an effort NOT do discuss Mr. Doyle unless its unavoidable), and not wishing to embarass Rick any more than necessary, I wrote him privately pointing out his various errors. He never responded, so I did indeed re-write him several times.

But I guess he has a problem with being corrected, as he never once wrote me back. He did instead "threaten" to publish my private messages to him, which I immediately told him he was welcome to do.

So that's what this latest spat is all about. Rick still has his panties in a wad over something ridiculous that's over and done with. He lost that argument (in that he never refuted anything I said); he refused to respond even when I sent him a quote of Mr. Doyle's that proved Rick was mistaken; and then, to top it off, he gets all shrill and threatens to publish private correspondence, which most folks feel is a pretty dis-courteous thing to do.

I guess when I followed the advice of the Duke of Wellington and said "Publish and be damned!" that pissed him off even more.

So I guess he's still sore, hence his above posts, where he feels the need to dig up four-year-old posts of mine and then provide incomplete quotes in order to bolster his super important argument: That I've evidently changed my mind about the propriety of waking of shelter snorers.

Um, news to Rick: Other than yourself, do you think anyone really gives a rat's patootie about this allegedly burning issue? :D

Next time you wanna argue about with me about something Rick, here are two ideas: Quote me honestly, and pick a topic that's worth discussing.

I don't know what's lamer.......the fight you picked tonight, or your simple inability to ever admit when you're wrong about something.

Night night.

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2009, 23:18
That being said, perhaps we can get back to the topic at hand, i.e. snoring in shelters........assuming, of course, anyone is still interested in discussing it.

Tinker
09-01-2009, 23:22
When I slept in shelters in the past, people would often throw balled up socks at my head. I understood. I soon took up tenting, then hammocking.
:D

Tin Man
09-01-2009, 23:31
Pre 'shelter sucks' days, bro and i had a shelter-mate tell us, in an unfriendly tone, that we snored up a storm... a little extra scotch helps with the volume... i turned to him and told him he did a pretty durn good job himself and bro nodded in agreement ... the look of shocked outrage on his face was priceless... :)

Tinker
09-01-2009, 23:33
Pre 'shelter sucks' days, bro and i had a shelter-mate tell us, in an unfriendly tone, that we snored up a storm... a little extra scotch helps with the volume... i turned to him and told him he did a pretty durn good job himself and bro nodded in agreement ... the look of shocked outrage on his face was priceless... :)
I've been there more than once. It's surprising how many folks think they don't snore (even a few prissy little missies :)).

Tin Man
09-01-2009, 23:49
I've been there more than once. It's surprising how many folks think they don't snore (even a few prissy little missies :)).

everyone makes some noise when they sleep. it's called breathing people. get over it or set up your own, private clean shelter like smart people do. :)

rickb
09-02-2009, 06:48

For those curious about what he's muttering about here, Rickb is still peevish over something that happened a few days ago.

We disagreed over, of all things, Warren Doyle's famous bathtub. Yeah. I know. A truly world-altering, really imprtant issue.

Not wishing to discuss the subject publicly (believe it or not, I make an effort NOT do discuss Mr. Doyle unless its unavoidable), and not wishing to embarass Rick any more than necessary, I wrote him privately pointing out his various errors. He never responded, so I did indeed re-write him several times.

But I guess he has a problem with being corrected, as he never once wrote me back. He did instead "threaten" to publish my private messages to him, which I immediately told him he was welcome to do.

So that's what this latest spat is all about. Rick still has his panties in a wad over something ridiculous that's over and done with. He lost that argument (in that he never refuted anything I said); he refused to respond even when I sent him a quote of Mr. Doyle's that proved Rick was mistaken; and then, to top it off, he gets all shrill and threatens to publish private correspondence, which most folks feel is a pretty dis-courteous thing to do.

I guess when I followed the advice of the Duke of Wellington and said "Publish and be damned!" that pissed him off even more.

So I guess he's still sore, hence his above posts, where he feels the need to dig up four-year-old posts of mine and then provide incomplete quotes in order to bolster his super important argument: That I've evidently changed my mind about the propriety of waking of shelter snorers.

Um, news to Rick: Other than yourself, do you think anyone really gives a rat's patootie about this allegedly burning issue? :D

Next time you wanna argue about with me about something Rick, here are two ideas: Quote me honestly, and pick a topic that's worth discussing.

I don't know what's lamer.......the fight you picked tonight, or your simple inability to ever admit when you're wrong about something.

Night night.

Er, thanks.

Rather than respond in kind, I'll just observe that its impossible to know what is going on in the lives of other people with whom we interact on the net.

I wish you well with the important stuff in your life, Jack.

As with the "filler", well, here is a thought-- Why don't you come back and revisit your recent posts and those your reference above some time in the future? And then quietly reflect on them?

I'll do the same. OK?

Rockhound
09-02-2009, 08:11
There are those that only snore occasionally or even often but not at a decibel level that would rival a Who concert. Then there are those that snore so loudly that even earplugs would be no defense for the unfortunate hiker that happens to be sharing a shelter with them. If you fall into this category (and you know who you are) staying in shelters with others is just as incosiderate as smoking, (tobacco or pot) in the shelter, allowing an uncontrolable dog in the shelter, staying up until midnight making lots of noise , setting alarms for 5:00 am.,or show up at the shelter at 10:00-10:30 at night claiming their shelter space as they wake everyone up who just got to sleep. For a "normal" or occasional snorer staying in shelters is fine. For the "chainsaw" snorers staying in shelters is just as inconsiderate and selfish as these other transgressions. Don't be a dick. The trail is no place for it. Save that crap for the internet. If I happen to be in the shelter with you I will have no problem waking the snorer up as often as necessary. You will not be the one person who gets a good nights sleep at everone elses expense.

saimyoji
09-02-2009, 08:11

anyone else find this statement curiously ironic? :-?

Lone Wolf
09-02-2009, 08:15

oh yeah :D

Lone Wolf
09-02-2009, 08:17
There are those that only snore occasionally or even often but not at a decibel level that would rival a Who concert. Then there are those that snore so loudly that even earplugs would be no defense for the unfortunate hiker that happens to be sharing a shelter with them. If you fall into this category (and you know who you are) staying in shelters with others is just as incosiderate as smoking, (tobacco or pot) in the shelter, allowing an uncontrolable dog in the shelter, staying up until midnight making lots of noise , setting alarms for 5:00 am.,or show up at the shelter at 10:00-10:30 at night claiming their shelter space as they wake everyone up who just got to sleep. For a "normal" or occasional snorer staying in shelters is fine. For the "chainsaw" snorers staying in shelters is just as inconsiderate and selfish as these other transgressions. Don't be a dick. The trail is no place for it. Save that crap for the internet. If I happen to be in the shelter with you I will have no problem waking the snorer up as often as necessary. You will not be the one person who gets a good nights sleep at everone elses expense.bullcrap. learn to sleep in the woods and don't rely on a wooden box. it's laziness

kanga
09-02-2009, 08:30
NO!:mad:

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters

kanga
09-02-2009, 08:31
you suck

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Tin Man
09-02-2009, 08:33
you suck

HEY!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

kanga
09-02-2009, 08:34
i'm sorry, aren't we supposed to not use irony on this website? wait, never mind. that's sarcasm. my bad.

kanga
09-02-2009, 08:35
HEY!

well, that just what saim told me..

Rockhound
bullcrap. learn to sleep in the woods and don't rely on a wooden box. it's laziness
Oh go put on a kilt you closet hippie.:D

chefjason
bullcrap. learn to sleep in the woods and don't rely on a wooden box. it's laziness

I can't believe what I am about to say, but, I kinda agree with LW. Mind you, I believe the delivery to be without tact, but the message is sound. Why go into the woods to then sleep in a box? If the weather is bad, then concidering a shelter is smart. But I rather like sleeping out doors. So much in fact I have decided to give hammocks a try this weekend!

you suck

Short. To the point. Harsh. I like you kanga!

kanga
09-02-2009, 08:36
funniest....

post....

ever!...

chefjason
09-02-2009, 08:37

Really? I saw a few pics of that guy and I don't think he knows what a closet is! Or a razor.:)

Tin Man
09-02-2009, 08:48
well, that just what saim told me..

well, hobbit had some things to say about you, but i don't air that s++t here. just sayin'

kanga
09-02-2009, 09:04
well, hobbit had some things to say about you, but i don't air that s++t here. just sayin'
stupid filter!!!!

chefjason
09-02-2009, 09:22
stupid filter!!!!

I know the name of a good psychologist who can help you remove that social filter! Makes family get togethers a lot more interesting.:)

kanga
09-02-2009, 09:25
oh, no! i have no social filter. it comes from not giving a ****. i was refering to the language filter that would not let me post a picture letting tin man know that i was not giving a ****.

chefjason
09-02-2009, 09:28
oh, no! i have no social filter. it comes from not giving a ****. i was refering to the language filter that would not let me post a picture letting tin man know that i was not giving a ****.

You don't give a chit? No way! Cause I too don't give a shi+. But the stupid filter doesn't like it when we say we don't give a $hit? Well, *****.

Camping Dave
09-02-2009, 12:15
Snorers should wake up, pack their crap, and leave. That way they can pee in the boots of whatever dickhead woke them, remove the laces, and begin the next with a a big head start on said dickhead with the smelly wet laceless boots. Seriously though, waking snorers is pretty darned rude.

max patch
09-02-2009, 12:20
WF said it was OK to nudge a snorer as it would cause them to change position and stop snoring. So there you have it. Discussion over.

LimpsAlong
09-02-2009, 16:55
Great responses. Except for the guy who would cram the water pistol up my a$$.
He seems a little touchy. I like those kind.

Egads
09-02-2009, 18:05
you suck

You forgot the smilie after saying you suck :D

kanga
09-03-2009, 08:32
You forgot the smilie after saying you suck :D
oh. sorry. you suck. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-taunt007.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

how's that?

darkage
09-03-2009, 08:39

Couldn't agree more ... lmao

chefjason
09-03-2009, 10:53
Great responses. Except for the guy who would cram the water pistol up my a$$.
He seems a little touchy. I like those kind.
Yep it seems there are a few folks with some anger issues. Nothing a zanex wouldn't fix though.

chainsaw09
01-08-2010, 16:36
give them a trail name like...uh?....Chainsaw! chances are, they'll never sleep in another pre-occupied shelter. takes one to know one :)

Wolf - 23000
01-08-2010, 17:44
It is rude to be making a lot of noise while others are trying to sleep!!!

Wolf

Wheeler
01-08-2010, 18:12
I remember asking a guy in vermont if he snored. He said he didn't, so I stayed in the shelter. There was only like two tenting spots and it was lightly raining. That guy fell asleep and snored as loud as I've ever heard it. By that time the tent spots were taken, and I didn't want to get up and walk in the rain. I spent that night working myself into a pissed off,stressed out state of mind. I was so angry! I can't sleep with foreign objects sticking into my head, nor could I handle this guy gargling mucous and marbles. Lone Wolf's advice is really the best. It was the angriest I've been while hiking, and not the state of mind I seek while out there. Who's fault was it? Both of our's I guess,but I never let it happen again.

Nean
01-08-2010, 18:35
I like havig a dirty, rat infested wooden (or stone:rolleyes:) box to myself and try to avoid the crowded ones.;) Well, once I did crowd in with a bunch of college girls, but that was differnt!:-? I've had my share of shelterless hiking and look forward to more but when in Roma....:eek: I carry those new fangled earplugs that play music and can get to sleep most anywhere.:)

gunner76
01-09-2010, 20:53
I not snoring, I'm serenading in my sleep !

Wise Old Owl
01-09-2010, 20:56
Wow this is an old thread, the first few posts were written on paparus.....

Dogwood
01-09-2010, 21:32

Ancient post LW, but I'm beginning to suspect that you have great disdain for AT shelters!

1)bring ear plugs and/or MP3 player.
2)smack the snorer in the mouth, blame it on a porcupine, and hope you fall into a deep sleep before they do!
3)learn never to sleep near obese people again(I know, prejedice statement, but most heavy snorers I've had the unfortunate experience to sleep near are greatly over wt., besides the constant eyeballing of my trailfood makes me feel uncomfortably protective)
4)bring something that helps you sleep(valium, sedative, JD, schnapps, drug of choice, etc)
5)knock yourself out, or have someone else do it for you, by hitting yourself in the forehead, w/ a trekking pole to stop the insanity of snoring, I almost considered this on several occassions, better to wake up w/ a bump on your forehead after having a dream of Beyonce than staying up all night with a bunch of farting snoring hikers
6)don't sleep at shelters or where snorers congregate, like at shelters(I've actually witnessed other thru-hikers pack up their gear in the night to move away from snorers)
7)practice Jedi mind tricks on yourself