PDA

View Full Version : Help with campsite just north of VA42 - Newport, VA

mschoger
08-24-2015, 00:49
I will be doing a section hike in October just south of Daleville. My starting point will be VA632 and I will hike north into Daleville. My first night I plan on staying at the campsite just north of VA42. On Guthook's app it shows it to be at mile 675.8. The campsite is in a short stretch of forest that breaks up a long pasture walk. Does anyone have experience with this campsite? There could be possibly 5 of us at the campsite...some will be in hammocks some in tents. Since it is pasture wondering what the ground conditions are like and if cows graze this land. Any info would be appreciated.

Slo-go'en
08-24-2015, 22:23
112 views, no answers. I guess none of us remember that campsite. You cross a lot of private land (a farm and a few houses) at/near that VA42 crossing. I believe the Nat Forest land doesn't start again until back up on top of the ridge. You should stick to designated sites in that area, especially with a group.

GoldenBear
08-24-2015, 23:18
I was just hiking this area last week, and I use Guthook on every hike nowadays. Somehow I missed your question.

ANYWAY, this photo I took
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=61266
should give you an idea of the area -- you can even see the marker for VA Highway 42.
There is a lot of farming area just north & south of this road, but I did not see any grazing animals there. Indeed, I saw almost no evidence that such animals use these fields, if you catch my drift. There are fences around the fields, but the fences have been pulled down where the AT goes "over" the fences, as if the owner didn't care that there was a significant break in the corral. On that basis, I feel confident that cows will not be a major factor in use of this camping site.
In addition, note that the area can go from open field to thick forest fairly quickly, which is what you will experience here. I'm almost positive that there is a place for camping where Guthook shows such a place at 675.8, simply because my experience with the app is that any place where it shows a tent site, there is (indeed) a place to pitch a tent.

Unfortunately, that's about all I can say about the area, other than it will be quite dry. Fill up every chance you get, as the next water might be a bit of a walk.

I should mention that Guthook will sometimes show a tent symbol when there is room for only one or two tents. You may find it necessary to split up this first night, with some camping at 675.8 and others camping at 676.4
Since the parking area for VA Highway 632 (will hold about five or six cars, and do so FAR better than any area on VA Highway 42) is 676.3, this should not be a major problem.

mschoger
08-26-2015, 15:57
Thanks for the info. Will just have to play it by ear the first night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk