PDA

View Full Version : I guess I'll give this a try

Husko
11-27-2005, 14:45
I just bought the holiday special at http://www.hennessyhammocks.com

Should be interesting to say the least. The whole idea seams so unatural to me for some reason, and I can't exactly say why.

LOL anyway. I'm excited to see how it works for me and I'd better get started on reading all the back posts about this type of camping.

Thanks for letting me share :)

MorrisseyFan
11-27-2005, 14:56
Husko,

I did the same thing, feeling much the same way. The Hammock arrived this week, and I'm torn between dying to try it out and fearing that it'll just be too wacky for me. *crosses fingers*

If nothing else, the water collectors and snakeskins are darn cool ideas.

neo
11-27-2005, 20:10
hammock hanging is the greatest,here are pics from me and the wifes pics this weekend it was 28 degree,:cool: neo

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9409&c=665&userid=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9410&catid=member&imageuser=3462

neo
11-27-2005, 20:20
hammock hanging is the only way to go for me,my wife started out hammock hanging so that the only way she knows how to camp lol:cool: neo

TooTall
11-28-2005, 00:23
Hennessey Hammocks rock!

I never could get the snakeskins to work right on mine. They would just bunch up at either end. I never could get the hammock to roll up into the snakeskins. Dunno if I was just a dumb user or if my larger hammock just doesn't fit into the skins. I finally just pulled them off.

Be careful about aligning the tarp with the hammock. Both are asymetrical and it was pretty easy for me to get the tarp flipped over wrong while stuffing the hammock back into it's sack. I ended up with water coming in at my feet a couple of times until I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Too Tall Paul

Seeker
11-28-2005, 01:34
"the educated man is as much superior to the uneducated one as the living are to the dead''.... some wise old dead greek guy, probably aristotle...

"hammocks are as much superior to sleeping on the ground as..."

well, you get the idea. and now that you've got it, stick with it, through all of hammocking's initial learning curves... once you figure it out, you'll wonder:
1) why doesn't everyone (who medically can) do this?
2) why didn't i think of this sooner?

welcome to a better way of sleeping.

Patrick
11-28-2005, 14:16
neo,

What kind of tarp is that brown one (I assume your wife's)?

Also, did you ever get the weight on that camo one? Lord knows I need more camo.

peter_pan
11-28-2005, 15:12
Welcome to the hanging crowd....

Read up on how to stay warm...before your first cold night...several of options out there .... absolutely no reason to be cold or uncomfortable.

Pan

neo
11-28-2005, 15:14
neo,

What kind of tarp is that brown one (I assume your wife's)?

Also, did you ever get the weight on that camo one? Lord knows I need more camo.

her tarp is henn.hammock sinylon hex:cool: neo

Seeker
11-28-2005, 17:44
Welcome to the hanging crowd....

Read up on how to stay warm...before your first cold night...several of options out there .... absolutely no reason to be cold or uncomfortable.

Pan
and you can find some good help with that here as well...

Husko
11-28-2005, 18:33
"the educated man is as much superior to the uneducated one as the living are to the dead''.... some wise old dead greek guy, probably aristotle...

"hammocks are as much superior to sleeping on the ground as..."

well, you get the idea. and now that you've got it, stick with it, through all of hammocking's initial learning curves... once you figure it out, you'll wonder:
1) why doesn't everyone (who medically can) do this?
2) why didn't i think of this sooner?

welcome to a better way of sleeping.

When asked how much educated men were superior to those uneducated, Aristotle answered, "As much as the living are to the dead."
Diogenes Laertius (fl. 2nd century)

Funny. I seen this movie last night called Ghost World and there was this dinner that always posted a riddle on a black board for probably for conversation and stuff. There was a guy that visited every morning with laptop and looked it up on Google and he would proudly announce the answer as if he were the father of all scholarly men lol. (edit) wich also reminds me of a quote somewhere that was sort of like: "True genious is the ability to utilize information that is available to you." Thank god for spell checkers :)

Any way. I just looked that up on Google and it reminded me of the movie.

I've been looking at hennessy's super shelter to keep warm. It includes a bottom sheet and some open cell foam you stuff into it. you can also add cloths and stuff for extra insulation. Thing is, it costs $159 bucks!!!!! wth lol? and I also started to think that If i have to add another two pounds just to keep warm, its not saving any weight compared to an ultralight tent like my sierra light year right?

Tell me I'm wrong please :)

Buckingham
11-28-2005, 19:03
I used my Hennessy for the first time on this years trip, and I am never going back to a tent. I slept better in that hammock than I do in my bed at home. Set-up and take-down were fast and easy, even for me. Add in the light weight, and this is the perfect hiking accessory. The fact that it doubles as a campsite chair is what initially sold me; I had back problems sitting Indian style on the ground, a pain which was compounded sleeping on unforgiving ground afterwards. Now neither sitting nor sleeping is an issue any more. Hoo-Ray Hennessy Hammock!!!!!

Patrick
11-29-2005, 12:32
Husko,

Do some searches on hammock weights on this site. You'll find that hammocking can be and is part of extremely light weight systems. It seems fair to say that hammocking is almost always going to be lighter than tenting and often lighter than tarp camping.

With your hammock, you'll have the hammock, top insulation, and bottom insulation, that's it. With a tent, you've typically got the tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and ground sheet. For tarp camping swap tarp for tent and possibly a bug net of some kind.

My current setup is:

Hennessy ULB with stakes, lines, stuff sacks: 31 oz.
Ray-Way homemade top quilt with stuff sack: 28 oz.
My own underquilt with stuff sack: 30 oz (non-camo would be 2 oz. lighter)

I'd say that's pretty average for hammocks. Now, if you switch to a racing (or maybe homemade) hammock, you save a pound from that and if you go with down quilts like the Jacks instead of my synthetic, you save more than another pound.

I won't be the only person here to say that it's nice to be able to go really light with a hammock, but it ends up being pretty secondary to all of the other advantages. If they came out with a tent that weighed nothing, I'd still be happily hammocking.

attroll
12-01-2005, 04:38
Hennessey Hammocks rock!

I never could get the snakeskins to work right on mine. They would just bunch up at either end. I never could get the hammock to roll up into the snakeskins. Dunno if I was just a dumb user or if my larger hammock just doesn't fit into the skins. I finally just pulled them off.

Be careful about aligning the tarp with the hammock. Both are asymetrical and it was pretty easy for me to get the tarp flipped over wrong while stuffing the hammock back into it's sack. I ended up with water coming in at my feet a couple of times until I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Too Tall Paul

Here is a good link that shows how to use your snake skins.

http://www.thruhikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29