PDA

View Full Version : How to get back to my car?

Canadian_Hiker
08-24-2015, 21:31
Evening everyone,

Just got back from four days in northern Baxter Park. We started at trout brook farm campground, hiked to little east then to Hudson pond than off to lower fowler pond outlet. While we were there I was planning my next trip (solo) in the park. I want to hike from trout brook farm to roaring brook which would be one way. Is there an outfitter or anyone who would ferry my car or give me a lift back to my car?

LoneStranger
08-25-2015, 06:20
Such a ride, though relatively short, would likely be quite expensive if you can find someone to do it. Getting from south gate to north gate with a vehicle involves a long drive on the perimeter road or looping way around on the highway. My solution was to take the IAT back north making a roughly 70 mile loop of it. Definitely worth it if you have the time though the IAT is sparsely blazed and lightly traveled so I wouldn't advise going after the leaves have fallen. There were a few spots where even in July it took a bit of guessing to figure out where the trail went.

peakbagger
08-25-2015, 11:20
I have been wanting to do a similar route from Roaring Brook up over to Northern Peaks trail to Russell Pond and then up to South Branch Pond and haven't found any good options but lining up the trip with a friend who happened to be staying at South Branch Pond. Unfortunately Hurricane Irene decided to intervene and the park was evacuated during the period I would have done this. I haven't found anyone who officially could do it but expect some of the seasonal park worker would but wouldn't advertise it.

Doc
08-25-2015, 11:44
You might check with the folks in millinocket who cater to hikers. I also would not be afraid to hitch as all the folks in the park are basically outdoor oriented and are not afraid of picking up a fellow traveler

Canadian_Hiker
08-28-2015, 14:23
Thanks for all the info guys! I like the idea of using the IAT to loop back to my start point. I found out the other night that a hiking partner should be able to join me so we will just use two cars.

We we had a wonderful time in the northern part of the park. I highly recommend hiking that loop as long as your I to bushwacking, getting dirty and wet. I posted a few pics in the gallery section if anyone wants to have a peek!

peakbagger
08-28-2015, 15:39
I really hope you have done the Traveler Loop up there. That is one of the greatest hikes in the state of Maine that very few have done. By the its actually slightly quicker to go from Millinocket via the Interstate and then up to Patten Maine then drive through the park it also cuts down on the abuse of the car.

BenK
01-04-2018, 21:33
Evening everyone,

Just got back from four days in northern Baxter Park. We started at trout brook farm campground, hiked to little east then to Hudson pond than off to lower fowler pond outlet. While we were there I was planning my next trip (solo) in the park. I want to hike from trout brook farm to roaring brook which would be one way. Is there an outfitter or anyone who would ferry my car or give me a lift back to my car?

Hi! I am planning a trip currently and I was wondering if you ever made this trip? I am wondering what the average price is for shuttle/taxi/Uber/whatever from roaring brook back up to south branch pond.

illabelle
01-05-2018, 05:31
Hi! I am planning a trip currently and I was wondering if you ever made this trip? I am wondering what the average price is for shuttle/taxi/Uber/whatever from roaring brook back up to south branch pond.
Two posts up from yours he says he did the trip with two cars. His profile indicates "no recent activity", so unlikely you'll get a response from him. Might be better to start up your own thread...

Venchka
01-05-2018, 11:39
Alt Thinking:
Use a bicycle. Park your vehicle at the end of the hike. Ride the bike to the beginning of the hike. Collect the bike at the end of the hike.
Assuming that the BSP rules permit such travel plans.
Wayne

peakbagger
01-05-2018, 14:07
Bikes (but not motorcycles) are legal on park roads. Not sure where E bikes fit ;)

LoneStranger
01-06-2018, 09:07

You will have a hard time finding transport of any sort from the south end of the park to the north. It takes a very long time to drive whether they go through the park or back out to the highway. If you have time I highly recommend looping back up via the IAT. When I did it I left my scoot at Matagamon Camps and walked into the park, but I imagine you could arrange to leave your car in the park the whole time if you ask. I'm sure things have changed a bit on the IAT since it became public land, but this trip report from 2015 will give you an idea of what a loop might look like.

https://lesstraveledby.net/2015/10/03/bspiat-loop-july-2015/

Venchka
01-06-2018, 12:18
Bikes (but not motorcycles) are legal on park roads. Not sure where E bikes fit ;)
Bicycle. Human powered. Is there another kind? I don't think so.
I also have no idea what the road distance involved here is. I just know that bicycles are often used in situations like this.
Wayne

BillyGr
01-06-2018, 12:49
Bicycle. Human powered. Is there another kind? I don't think so.
I also have no idea what the road distance involved here is. I just know that bicycles are often used in situations like this.
Wayne

Perhaps thinking of those bicycles that are out there where they have a small electric motor that aids the user in pedaling when climbing hills?