PDA

View Full Version : Bottle cup lid

dirkomatic
08-24-2015, 22:01
Please forgive me if this is in the wrong forum. I'm new to whiteblaze.net, but I post occasionally on hammockforums.net :)

I won't call mine a Glacier cup, because it's a $5 one from W*M, but I finally found something I'm going to try to use as a lid and thought I'd share. I tried the Pirouette lid, but it doesn't fit my cup. The Stanley lid works and I sometimes use it if I need to, but today I was in PetSmart and saw a silicone vacuum pet food lid which fits up to 4" cans... Brought it home and it looks promising. I'm going to try it on a hike this weekend and I'll try.

BirdBrain
08-24-2015, 22:17
Do you boil water in your cup? I use the lid to my grease pot as a lid for my cup. I admit, I am puzzled by why you need a lid. This likely is causing me to post irrelevant stuff here. I boil my water, pour some water into my freezer bag, pour the rest into my cup, cover my cup with my pot cover, and slide the freezer bag into the cozy. Granted, the grease pot lid is much larger than the cup. However, it works without requiring another lid. After the water boils, the lid is no longer needed on the grease pot. Please forgive my ignorance if I missed the point of your mod.

dirkomatic
08-24-2015, 22:22
Sometimes I only take my cup and a stove. And I do have a Stanley cook set with a lid that fits this cup, which I sometimes use, but I can fold the silicone lid slightly and put it in the bottom of the cup, pack more stuff in the cup and still have a lid for boiling :)

dirkomatic
08-24-2015, 22:24
There are actually quite a few videos and posts I found on making a DIY lid from a Pirouette cookie container lid, but that doesn't fit this cup. I'm not the only one who wants a lid :)

BirdBrain
08-24-2015, 22:27
Not doubting the validity. Was honestly clueless about purpose. Not being sarcastic. I am often thick. Still am. :( Oh well. As long as the target audience grasps it, that is all that matters.

Edit: I missed your second post here. Sorry. I am up to speed now. Looks promising. :)

dirkomatic
08-24-2015, 22:35
Not a problem... I do use it as a cook pot. That's the only reason I have it, actually :)

BirdBrain
08-24-2015, 22:37
Sorry about my confusion. It happens with me often. I am on my phone and missed one of your posts. It actually looks very good and very promising.

dirkomatic
08-24-2015, 22:46
It's my fault, actually... I didn't mention in my first post that I use it as a small cook pot. Unfortunately, I don't see a way for me to edit my post. That probably comes with more posts to the forum, I guess.

That said, thanks. I hope it works well, but I'll have my other lid on this overnighter, just in case.

BirdBrain
08-24-2015, 22:56
You have to donate to get the ability to edit posts. Even so, the edit button often does not help me make a coherent post. Welcome aboard by the way. I am a gram weenie. I look forward to other mods you might have.

dirkomatic
08-26-2015, 22:51
I am definitely not a gram weenie, but I don't take on extra weight if I don't need it. Part of the reason I like using this as a pot is that I basically have a two pot cook set (now with lids) so my son and I can both cook. I can use my Stanley to make coffee while he makes breakfast, too...

I tested the lid on my stove top and it worked very well. I also just got done etching some volume markings on it using electrolytic acid etching so it's easier for him.

This pot ends up weighing 167.2 grams with the lid. Not great, but it's pretty good for an 18 ounce stainless pot with gradations. For $10, plus the vinegar, salt, battery, tape and wire for the etching process, I think it's a worth the money spent.

Starchild
08-27-2015, 07:21
I've seen similar lids to prevent microwave splatter, perhaps better then pet food can lids as they are made to take boiling temperatures.

dirkomatic
08-27-2015, 12:58
I've seen similar lids to prevent microwave splatter, perhaps better then pet food can lids as they are made to take boiling temperatures.

Yes, I've seen them, too. But I couldn't find one the right size. Most were too big. This is the exact same material; silicone, made to withstand boiling temperatures.