PDA

View Full Version : Day hiking in MD, Do you take things for the Thru hikers?

SkeeterPee
08-24-2015, 22:31
New to the AT hiking and am doing a few days of day hikes in MD over Labor Day weekend with family while camping nearby. I also see posts about trail angels and it got me thinking if we should bring things to give to thru hikers, and if so what?

bflorac
08-25-2015, 01:13
Well, I think you should find the most thru hikers are past MD by Labor Day. However, if are in the mood to share and pack an extra snickers bar, I've never seen anyone turn it down at a shelter I've never turned down a beer either). Either a day hiker, long ass section hiker (LASHER) or thru hiker. Sharing is part of the fun. But, don't be offended if someone turns you down, its not personal, just their choice (HYOH).

Lone Wolf
08-25-2015, 06:58
New to the AT hiking and am doing a few days of day hikes in MD over Labor Day weekend with family while camping nearby. I also see posts about trail angels and it got me thinking if we should bring things to give to thru hikers, and if so what?

no. they don't need anything. they're vacationing

rocketsocks
08-25-2015, 07:08
no. they don't need anything. they're vacationing
Not even umbrella drinks? :(

Starchild
08-25-2015, 07:35
The gift one generally would like to give is typically what can lift them up greatly but is also easy for the giver to provide. The gift itself is a gesture of human kindness and not the item, it is a gift from the heart. The thru hiking experience makes giving easy as they are depriving themselves of many common things due to circumstances, they are also generally very eager to receive tastes of civilization and kindnesses. It is a place of true human kindness of giving and receiving, in that to me it is magical and hence the term trail magic.

Think about things they can not get on the thru hike in the middle of the woods, things a multiday hiker can not reasonably pack due to weight/spoilage/storage or cooking requirements but are generally desirable. Those items are usually where you can really make the most difference on someones thru or LD hike. Yes snickers are nice, but hikers usually have them and have been having them for quite some time. It's nice and a great gesture and easy to pack but the item is hiker common.

Fresh fruit, soda/beer (as a day hiker you should be able to pack it in cold so it is at least cool when you give it out), are great trail treats that I commonly give out and not something usually brought by thru hikers trying to make miles. Also cold pizza and McD's burgers have been done and are fantastic to receive. Also offering to pack out their trash is appreciated, but bring your own bag to put theirs in.

With that said I would not expect to see many thru hikers due to the timing of your trip. Perhaps some SoBo's and we have had a lot of flipflop's this year, people doing the trail in a different order, so you can expect some.

Don H
08-25-2015, 08:18
One of the most appreciated things you can do for a thru-hiker is offer to take his trash.

Just Bill
08-25-2015, 08:36
Bring pruners or clippers or just a big garbage bag.
Trail maintenance is trail magic.