PDA

View Full Version : newfound gap GSNP to Hot Springs

One More
08-24-2015, 22:58
Hello all! I did newfound gap to Fontana back in May and now I want to go the other way. Is the trail any easier in the northern section than it was going south? I like to do about 8 miles a day but I really only have so much time to get there, hike, and get back home . How is the terrain between davenport gap and hot springs? Would I be able to cruise a little easier than I the smokies where I have to contend with the shelters? Thanks!!

Davenport gap and Hot

oldwetherman
08-24-2015, 23:50
IMHO the terrain is a bit more gentle. The climb from I-40 to the FAA tower on top of Snowbird mountain will get your attention but the rest of the trail to Hot Springs isn't too tough.

saltysack
08-25-2015, 05:39
I did this section with my 9 yr old son and jrt a month or two ago. Climb after I-40 was a bitch...and to make it harder it was hot as hell! I remember why I don't usually hike during summer! We started in evening on a Wednesday and finished mid day Saturday...best $5 I ever spent was the shower at laughing heart hostel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

illabelle
08-25-2015, 06:30
We enjoyed the northern half of the Smokies more than the southern. Better views, fewer little ups and downs, not too hard. We did Hot Springs to Davenport Gap southbound, so our experience there would be different from yours. I remember Snowbird being a bit of a climb.

Gambit McCrae
08-25-2015, 09:42
Northern Shmokes was great and I got to share it with hundreds of thru hikers!
The terrain in the north is much better then in the south. I did Clingmans to Davenport in 2.5 days with lots of time to spare. The climb up to snow bird as stated above is a bit of a hump but after that it is a great section! I have been longing for hot springs