PDA

View Full Version : Feedback and advice for a three day weekend hike.

BamaB2
08-25-2015, 21:22
My son and I are planning a three day hike during his fall break on October 8-11. We are thinking about driving up from north Alabama and staying the night of the 7th near Fontana Lake. Leaving early Thursday (8th) morning, taking Lakeshore Trail up to Eagles Creek Trail and up to campsite 89. Day two, hang around and explore the creek area then backtrack and take Lost Cove Trail to campsite 91. Day three, to the AT, visit Shuckstack Tower, and hike back down the AT to the damn. We are not looking for high mileage. We just want to hike some, camp and hang out together. This will be our first time in the area. Of course, this is weather permitting. Any advice, feedback, or suggestions appreciated. How are those campsites? How are the trails? Good place for lodging on Wednesday night? Anything else that you can think of. Thanks.

TNhiker
08-25-2015, 22:04
89 is not a bad site.........

you'll have to do one ford of eagle creek to get to that campsite....

you'll wont have much elevation gain----just a couple of minor ups and downs----going lakeshore to eagle creek........

but, going from lakeshore up lost cove----that's a short beast........

CS 91 is not bad as well......i had a fun good time there.........

but going up lost cove to shuckstack can be a chore but worth it once up that way.....

as for lodging----ive never stayed there but hike inn is just a couple of miles from the dam.........or you could go to robbinsville or bryson city for some hotels......

or you wanna car camp-----cable cove campground is a touch away from the dam........or deep creek.......

if you like to fish----eagle creek is popular with fisherpeoples................