PDA

View Full Version : Cork Handles

Googan
08-25-2015, 22:26
Has anyone had problems with cork grips deteriorating? I was wondering if putting a cork sealer on the grips might be a good idea.

soilman
08-25-2015, 22:37
My Leki cork grips started to disintegrate after about 200 miles. I talked with an outfitter and he said he never had seen this happen. Asked if I used DEET. I don't. I think it is just a combination of perspiration and friction and repeated use. Like my Leki poles and they have great customer service, but I won't buy cork grips again.

The Cleaner
08-25-2015, 22:56
I've used a Leki Wanderfreund single pole for over 500 miles.The only problem with the handle was when a pony in Grayson Highlands chewed on the handle a bit till I could get it out of his mouth. :eek:

Traveler
08-26-2015, 07:04
I had a pair of cork gripped poles and found they tended to get a bit slimy with sweat on hot days and don't dry out as quickly as the composite material grips. The only actual failure I experienced was the grips started losing bits of cork after about 300 miles or so of use but seemed to be limited certain sized particles I presumed were absorbing more moisture than the surrounding cork particles, forcing them out.

Wouldn't cork sealer defeat the purpose of the cork grips and not allow them to absorb moisture?

Offshore
08-26-2015, 07:44
I'm finding my cork handles on my BD poles are getting a rough texture after a couple of hundred miles. This is probably due to the loss of some particles of cork, but I've never noticed actual shedding. Like AT Traveler said, I also think they tend to stay wetter with sweat than the composite material on my other BD poles. I think I prefer the composite materials. They seem to stay drier, hold up better, and I can clean them by squeezing them under running water.

Starchild
08-26-2015, 08:18
I have a pair that has maybe 3000 miles on it, the cork on the top piece is gone, and now the top is rubber. The handgrip section is still good. This have been put into semi retirement and I use a carbon fiber stick w/ synthetic grip for most hiking now. I don't see the advantage of cork, but some people like it.

Since the cork sticks are Leki one day I should sent them back, the tips are also badly worn and much smaller then they once were, I have just not gotten around to that yet.

soilman
08-26-2015, 10:59
Since the cork sticks are Leki one day I should sent them back, the tips are also badly worn and much smaller then they once were, I have just not gotten around to that yet.

Leki warranty covers shaft breakage only. Worn tips and normal wear and tear are not covered.

Starchild
08-26-2015, 11:51
Leki warranty covers shaft breakage only. Worn tips and normal wear and tear are not covered.

Oh well, at least that's one more thing I don't have to do. But also checked it out, it appears they won't cover defective expanders either, which seems like they should unless they sell them as replacements.

jimmyjam
08-26-2015, 12:01
After about 900 miles on my BDs I've had no problems other than my puppy took a little nibble out of one. Much less slippery than rubber handles.

rocketsocks
08-26-2015, 17:01
Cork actually wears very well and evenly. I built a fly rod about 30 years ago, using cork as the handle, and it's as smooth as a baby's bottom with minimal pitting, splits, and checks.

Rex Clifton
08-27-2015, 18:28
I sweat allot so the cork handles on my BD poles.started to wear prematurely. I treated with cork sealer and that stopped the wear. The sealer is a little sticky, even when dry, so I sprinkle on some Gold Bond powder when I start a hike.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

lonehiker
08-28-2015, 18:33
I was a bit skeptical about the longevity of cork handles myself. But, bought a pair of Black Diamond poles with cork grips anyway. They are stained dark from sweat, grime, sunscreen etc. but otherwise are wearing fine after about 1500 miles or so.

HeartFire
08-28-2015, 18:52
My Leki's with cork handles have thousands of miles of use. I would never use poles without cork handles, I've never had a problem, so I'm surprised to see so many issues with them posted here.

Traveler
08-29-2015, 08:30
My Leki's with cork handles have thousands of miles of use. I would never use poles without cork handles, I've never had a problem, so I'm surprised to see so many issues with them posted here.

A good barometer of how differently the same type of gear behaves for different people and why there is so much selection in the marketplace.

Googan
08-30-2015, 00:07
It also has to do with the quality of the cork used on your specific poles. It could have been a good year for high quality cork that didn't need any cork filling, or if you're unlucky, the exact opposite

bendback
09-22-2015, 07:23
I use Leki's with cork and have had no issues. I'm in Florida so they have had plenty of sweat on them with no adverse results.

Odd Man Out
09-22-2015, 09:36
I was told that rodents like to chew cork handles in the middle of the night. Hanging them so they are less accessible might be a good idea. I assume they are going after the salt in absorbed perspiration. Unfortunately I use my BD Alpine Ergo Cork poles to hold up my tent (with the handles one the ground) so mine are most vulnerable to rodents. No problems yet, but I have only used them for a couple of short trips (8 nights total) so far. After 10 days of backpacking and many days of day hiking, they have a nice patina, but no deterioration.

Another Kevin
09-22-2015, 16:14
I was told that rodents like to chew cork handles in the middle of the night. Hanging them so they are less accessible might be a good idea. I assume they are going after the salt in absorbed perspiration. Unfortunately I use my BD Alpine Ergo Cork poles to hold up my tent (with the handles one the ground) so mine are most vulnerable to rodents. No problems yet, but I have only used them for a couple of short trips (8 nights total) so far. After 10 days of backpacking and many days of day hiking, they have a nice patina, but no deterioration.

I don't have very many rodent problems if I'm not staying at a shelter. Is this turning into another 'tents in shelters' thread?

You may be right about rodents and salt. I had a porcupine come in my tent vestibule once and make off with a pair of sweaty skivvies, no doubt for the salt in them.

rocketsocks
09-22-2015, 16:31
I don't have very many rodent problems if I'm not staying at a shelter. Is this turning into another 'tents in shelters' thread?

You may be right about rodents and salt. I had a porcupine come in my tent vestibule once and make off with a pair of sweaty skivvies, no doubt for the salt in them.
He was going to tip his spikes with pygmy poo poo poison, and then stick ya when you came out in the morning, then follow til lunch.

shelb
09-23-2015, 00:46
No problems so far, but I am not a thru-hiker..

ChuckT
01-14-2016, 20:18
Once-in-a-previous-lifetime we had fishing poles with cork grips. The good ones were terrific, the others much less so. Turned out that the bad ones were made of a composite cork, pieces mashed together in a glue matrix. The good ones were actually sliced cork or cork blanks drilled to accept the rod buts (probably where the cork fragments came from).
My Leki trekking poles have composite cork grips and i don't expect them to last.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

Bansko
03-15-2017, 22:19
I started the AT with rubber handled Black Diamonds that started giving me blisters and black stains on my thumbs. I ditched them and went with a pair of cork-handled Lekis that I used for 1500 miles. They felt great and still look new

Tipi Walter
03-15-2017, 23:22
I'm on my third cork hiking pole (use only one pole while hiking) and each previous one died from the disintegration of the cork. It cracks and peels away eventually.

THEN I discovered Birkenstock cork sealer and it has saved my third pole which is still going strong after several years of hard use.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/17-Days-In-Rattlerville/i-WkCdjgK/0/O/Trip%20165%20381.jpg
Cork handle with sealer applied. I do this about once every two months.

http://i3.footwearetc.com/00608/ihwx.cce5be7a-9629-43d4-815d-78cfe0f56042.500.500.jpg
This stuff is sort of like Elmer's glue and easy to apply. It dries to a glossy finish BUT is a little tacky which bothers some people.

Kookork
03-15-2017, 23:37
Cork actually wears very well and evenly. I built a fly rod about 30 years ago, using cork as the handle, and it's as smooth as a baby's bottom with minimal pitting, splits, and checks.

One of my uncles made a fishing rod out of a Jeep Antenna and cork handle years ago. In a rainy day when we were fishing in a mountain river he suddenly shouted out of pain and threw the rods on the ground. Turned out that the rod was working as a collector of air static electricity and wet cork didnot help as a barrier. we left the rod on the ground until the sky was clear.

Tipi Walter
03-15-2017, 23:41
Fishing rods are not hiking poles. First off, poles get a tremendous workout in all terrain to support at times enormous weights and tight grip strengths. Second, a hiking pole gets exposed to all sorts of nasty weather all day and all night. And no, I don't sleep with the thing or use it as a tent pole.

Kookork
03-16-2017, 00:12
Fishing rods are not hiking poles. First off, poles get a tremendous workout in all terrain to support at times enormous weights and tight grip strengths. Second, a hiking pole gets exposed to all sorts of nasty weather all day and all night. And no, I don't sleep with the thing or use it as a tent pole.

Who said fishing poles are hiking poles Tipi?

Tipi Walter
03-16-2017, 00:25
Who said fishing poles are hiking poles Tipi?

Both ChuckT and Kookork mentioned fishing rods with cork handles. Different animal than a cork hiking pole. Point is, if cork is great on a fishing rod does not mean it's great on a hiking pole.

MtDoraDave
03-16-2017, 07:43
My first poles had the hard rubber grips (walmart poles) which didn't really bother me since I don't "grip" the poles most of the time, but lightly pinch them and let the strap do most of the work.
I, too, heard that rodents like to chew on cork, so when I bought replacements for the walmart poles, I bought the cascade mountain poles with the foam grips. They are much more comfortable than the hard rubber, but I still don't "grip" them often - their straps are much more comfortable than the ones that come on the walmart poles, and they are less likely to slip out of adjustment than the cheap straps were. I haven't yet used them in the mountains, but will in a few weeks when I go up for my next section hike.

Stone1984
03-16-2017, 08:00
I am new to the poles, but I have a set or cork grip poles that I enjoy. I worried about the foam grips when sweaty and thought the cork grips would do better. I only have about 80 miles on mine right now but I can't complain.

devoidapop
03-16-2017, 09:23

A good barometer of how differently the same type of gear behaves for different people and why there is so much selection in the marketplace.

Good point and a reason to go cheap if you're new to trekking poles. You won't know what's best for you until you put them through the paces. Or if you're in a group, see if you can borrow a pole from somebody before you sink cash into something you may not like.