PDA

View Full Version : Water availability in oct/nov

hikeandbike5
08-26-2015, 15:33
Looking at doing an AZT thruhike this fall/early winter.

Hopefully it will be cooler then, temps in the manageable range.

How has water availability typically been during that time? A bit north here in colorado, but we've had a very rainy beginning to the summer.

I did glance at the water report linked on the azt website, but didn't see anything about historic water availability during that time.

thanks!

handlebar
08-26-2015, 23:11
If you contact the guy who keeps the water report, he will send you a fall season version.

Wyoming
08-27-2015, 16:24
Here is the link to the AZT water report. It has both current and historical listings.

http://www.fredgaudetphotography.com/aztrail1.html

There have been no fall thru hikers yet (still a bit hot - 109 in Phoenix today) but a bunch of us are starting from Sept 1st to mid month. So there will be water updates hitting the list in about a week to 10 days.

So far this has been a very good year for monsoon rain (rained hard at my house in the mountains 3 times in the last week and hard all over the state). Water sources should be very good compared to a normal fall AZT hike. With the drought the last few years some have been putting in water caches but there should be no need for that this year.

A buddy and I are starting at the Utah border on 4 Sept and one would expect the highs for the first 250 miles (all high elevation) to be mostly in the 70's maybe a couple of days in the 80's. Except in the Grand Canyon which will be a good 20 degrees hotter at the bottom than at the rim. When you drop off the high country it is anybody's guess what the temps might be but they will be trending down of course. By Oct one would expect Phoenix to be down to 95 for highs I think (90?). But we are having the 2nd hottest Aug in history so it might be higher than normal still - one never knows.

If you are planning on starting as late as 1 Oct then hot weather will not be an issue. If you are starting that late then it is possible that you will see cold weather at night in the high country (low 40's for sure maybe low 30's). I am assuming you know that fall is sobo and spring is nobo? Don't start nobo in the fall as it is very hard to avoid real heat in the south and if you wait till late to avoid the heat you will run into very cold weather and snow most likely in the high country. By late Oct the lows will be below freezing almost every night in the high country and north of the Grand Canyon snow is common.

nobadays
08-30-2015, 08:07
Wyoming... it will be extremely helpful to those "including my wife and I" starting around the middle of September if you/others can find a way to update the water reports on your way through! Thank you for this!

Wyoming
08-30-2015, 16:17
Wyoming... it will be extremely helpful to those "including my wife and I" starting around the middle of September if you/others can find a way to update the water reports on your way through! Thank you for this!

Will do as I get the chance. I am sure many others will as well. I don't carry a cell phone (hate them) so I just do my updates when in towns with my tablet. So I will be putting in info the 1st time about the 8th from the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Next time would be about 5-6 days later in Flagstaff.

Utah to Flag is the toughest water section but we have been getting lots of rain this monsoon season so I expect water is not an issue this year as all the stock ponds are getting filled. I got dumped on big time yesterday near Prescott. It was like being on the AT as it just poured for about 40 mins, hailed for about 20 mins -walked with my hands over my head the whole time, it stung! -, walked in water about ankle deep for a couple of miles, lightning all over the place.