PDA

View Full Version : boot help

misterfloyd
08-26-2015, 18:43
Hello,

It was pointed out to me by my podiatrist that I may need a stiffer boot in the sole area.

I brought in my Lowa Renegade with cadence insoles (which I really like both) but was recommended the above for the problems I have. Can anyone recommend a stiffer soled boot that is wide. Some of these doctors may mix up their terminology as well. perhaps a boot with a stiffer shank.

I immediately thought of the Asolo ones, you know the $$$$. I make most of my miles in the summer, and I'm going through the mid Atlantic states next summer so I Immediately thought HOT!!!

I have wide flat feet. Superfeet are not an option. So much for trail runners

Any ideas?

Thanks
Floyd

Traveler
08-27-2015, 08:13
The Asolo 520s are not as hot as they look if you use smart wool or similar wicking material in your socks. I used them for years in summer and found little comfort discomfort then, much as I found them equally as comfortable in cold weather. These may provide the best solution in their design, though they are a little heavy. If its a choice between 8 ounces heavier than a low shoe and being able to trod trail, I would take the expensive route. The ultimate question is how much will you pay to be comfortable and/or be able to do this.

The sole stiffness sounds like you have an arthritis issue in the toes, which my hiking pal has and had to get a stiffer boot. You too may benefit from something that has a stiffer flex. He went with a work boot having a composite toe (hard toed boots) and a composite material in the bottom of the boot that limits movement. So far they have worked well for him and he has not had a flair up. They weren't terribly expensive ($150 range), I will see if I can get the make/model of boot.

misterfloyd
08-27-2015, 19:30
If I can walk without pain and not even think about my feet. That would be a true blessing. It would be worth a lot.

I immediatly thought of the Asolo 520's. What I resent is that every boot maker has put Gore tex in thier boots. They do not work!! but if everyone has done this then I have no choice.

I just wondered if someone else had this problem or suggestion.

I do not have arthritis. I'm sorry to imply about money. If it is worth it, it is worth it.

Any information is very welcome and helpful, please keep it coming. I'm tired of this happening!

Floyd

rocketsocks
08-27-2015, 20:00
Tipi Walter has posted pictures and a write up about those I believe...they came un-glued in what sounds like the same spot as yours.

nsherry61
08-27-2015, 22:28
. . . I do not have arthritis . . .

If it's not arthritis, is the doctor concerned about protecting your feet from rocks or reducing the amount your feet bend?

If it is protection from rocks, many of the train runners have some pretty good, hard protection built into the shoes.

If it's to reduce bending then you probably are stuck with boots.

Personally, for protection from rocks and with my arthritis, I have fantasies about building some custom carbon fiber insoles . . . wow, I just googled it, and there are companies out there making carbon fiber shoe inserts for this very purpose! . . . time to start saving my pennies.

Traveler
08-28-2015, 13:32
The boot my friend found and is working well to reduce foot flexing is a Drew boot. I thought it was a hard toe boot, but apparently its not. It does have a solid steel shank that apparently stiffens the bottom of the shoe better than the other boots he has tried.

He got them through "Hitchcockshoes.com". He needed a very wide shoe and this site handles them up to 6E. If you go to their site, go to mens shoes/boots/outdoors, it should also be listed under the Style Number 9768. Not sure if these will do what you need them to, but my friend had tried just about every other boot he could find and likes these.

misterfloyd
08-28-2015, 16:36
AT Traveler,

Thank you so much for the info !

Floyd

Wyoming
08-28-2015, 18:11
Hello,

It was pointed out to me by my podiatrist that I may need a stiffer boot in the sole area.

I brought in my Lowa Renegade with cadence insoles (which I really like both) but was recommended the above for the problems I have. Can anyone recommend a stiffer soled boot that is wide. Some of these doctors may mix up their terminology as well. perhaps a boot with a stiffer shank.

I immediately thought of the Asolo ones, you know the $$$$. I make most of my miles in the summer, and I'm going through the mid Atlantic states next summer so I Immediately thought HOT!!!

I have wide flat feet. Superfeet are not an option. So much for trail runners

Any ideas?

Thanks
Floyd

You might look into Vasque Breeze 2.0's They come in both a low top and high top version, wide and regular widths, and gortex and non-gortex. They are not built to boot standards but are built to walking/hiking shoe standards. They are very hard in the soles but also very lightweight. The low top non-gortex weigh the same as the top of the line Salamon trail runners.

I wear the low top non-gortex version as I also need lots of foot protection and love the hard soles. But that being said they are not as hard soled as boots are.

bflorac
08-29-2015, 00:29
You didn't say how wide your feet are. If you really have wide feet (I have 4E), there are only a few choices. I use New Balance but typically most of their boots while fit well do not last too long on hikes. I ripped apart a new pair this year in only 4 weeks of hiking. But I'd buy a new pair every 4 weeks rather than force my foot in to a shoe too small for even a few days.

misterfloyd
08-29-2015, 15:39
I have wide feet.

Since there is no constancy between sizes I will give examples.

ll bean cresta hiker 2e
lowa renegade 2e.

funny thing is I have lost some weight and were I originally bought the lowas I have been told that my feet don't look very wide.
go figure.

Venchka
08-29-2015, 21:33
Limmer Boots.
Ready made or custom made. Do you live near New Hampshire? It would be worth a trip. Give them a call.
http://www.limmercustomboot.com/cgi-bin/CustomBoot/index.pl

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Traveler
08-30-2015, 07:36
Limmer Boots.
Ready made or custom made. Do you live near New Hampshire? It would be worth a trip. Give them a call.
http://www.limmercustomboot.com/cgi-bin/CustomBoot/index.pl

Wayne

Good outfit, but the customer boot route can be expensive (about $750.00 for boots) and have an 18 month lead time. I know people with their footwear that swear by them though.

The Cleaner
08-30-2015, 08:04
A few months ago I had a 3rd surgery on my right foot.The 1st was in 2008 to correct my big toe which was trying to go out a few degrees to the left.I had some kind of cyst growing between my big toe and #2.It had got to the point where I was having trouble walking w/o pain.Also it felt at times like something was growing there spreading my toes apart.I was unable to backpack for almost 2 years.Well the surgery worked out great till early last year.My big toe started kicking out and the pain was getting worse again. So the surgeon this time had to put in a small plate as the screws from the 1st surgery were no longer holding.That worked well to until early this year when the plate was causing pain and had to be removed.The goal was to fuse the joint and that was done.After this last surgery I started having some pain again but it did not bother me when I wore my medium weight stiff soled hiking boots.Long story short,the Doc had me get a carbon fiber plate insole to wear in my other shoes and softer work boots.It costs $100 but I did see some less expensive ones on sale on the web.I got mine from a local orthotic & prosthetic supplier. They had me bring in my work boots so they could cut it to fit.I guess they use a special type of device to cut and smooth out the cut.Since carbon fiber has a specific composition it requires care when cutting it.I got this by a prescription and my insurance may pay for all or part of it.I just thought this may be an option for you to check out.

misterfloyd
08-30-2015, 14:54
Hello,

I have gotten the Book, "Fixing your feet" from my local library. Just reading a few chapters tells me I will have to buy this and review it often.

I have contacted a few running clubs in charlotte for podiatrists they refer people to as well as contacting the Carolina Mountain Club and doing the same. CMC gave me a place in asheville that checks your feet by walking, gait, etc. I think it is Foot RX.

The podiatrists that I have seen don't seem very "credible" as to know what is best for my feet hiking wise. I may have to start in Charlotte.

when I contacted CMC they refered me to a bootfitter that I have been going to. Gary at Diamond Brand recommended Limmers as well.

All doctors are not equal in thier various expertise. You think I would find one that could help.

Cleaner, I was recommended stiffer soles. I have the plastic ortho soles, wore them from Fontana to Hot springs and it nearly filled my feet. So I'm not certain Carbon is the answer. I need some padding.

Here is what kills me, I wore the same boot insert combo for 50 miles in the fall, and 75 at thanksgiving. No problem. Plenty of miles in the Gorge and Pisgah, no problem. Get back on AT in June Blam!.

Don't know if it was the miles 17-23 ave total miles, 300+ or rock scrambling in Va.

All the best<
Floyd

Venchka
08-30-2015, 17:27
The ready made Limmers are quite a bit cheaper than custom and built the same way as the custom boots. On the other hand, if you spread the custom boot price over 2 or 3 resolings, I bet the price is cheaper than buying trail runners every 400 miles.
Custom orthotics are $300. Good boots aren't much more.

Wayne

Venchka
08-30-2015, 17:32
The presence of and stiffness of shanks in shoes and boots isn't mentioned these days. All the shoe companies talk about are waterproofing (who needs it?) and colors. A sorry state of affairs.

Wayne

misterfloyd
08-31-2015, 11:39
I will pay the price but my feet have to stop hurting. I'm tired of it, complaining of it and mostly listening to podiatrist who work, and specialize on diabetic feet, or such, trying to figure out what to do with someone who is active with theirs.

Venchka
08-31-2015, 12:10
Have you thought about seeking out a Sports Medicine practice? Doctors and physical therapists who deal with athletes with foot injuries on a regular basis? Any city with a university should have such people. I just asked my daughter in Boone for ideas.

Wayne

The Cleaner
08-31-2015, 17:30
misterfloyd,I failed to say that the carbon fiber insoles aren't really insoles.They're more like a plate and meant to be used under your choice of cushioned insoles.They are only about as thick as a nickle and flex just enough to lie flat in your boot.I just use them in my work boots as my Asolo boots do not flex much at all.My feet actually hurt less when I'm wearing my hiking boots.That's some problem to have.:rolleyes:

misterfloyd
08-31-2015, 18:54
Cleaner,

Thank you for the clarification. A carbon fiber plate as you described sounds interesting. I read your post, and you mentioned that it was prescribed to you. That is pretty interesting. it would shave off some weight on the feet. I may look down this avenue as well. You said you got it from a local orthotic and prosthetic supplier. Wow. I will have to remember this.

Thanks,
Floyd

The Cleaner
08-31-2015, 19:27
Cleaner,

Thank you for the clarification. A carbon fiber plate as you described sounds interesting. I read your post, and you mentioned that it was prescribed to you. That is pretty interesting. it would shave off some weight on the feet. I may look down this avenue as well. You said you got it from a local orthotic and prosthetic supplier. Wow. I will have to remember this.

Thanks,
Floyd

I had a prescription for it from my foot Doc.My health insurance may pay for it.Something you might want to see about.I used it several hours last Saturday and it did help.I wear those black cop boots which are not very stiff in the front.I need a high top boot to keep chain saw chips from ruining my socks.Good luck.

perrypt2
10-14-2015, 17:06
Misterfloyd,

I'm a physical therapist and have specialized in foot problems. As I read the thread, I didn't get a good sense of what was "wrong" with your feet. You said they were flat and also wide. You said they weren't arthritic. When you stand barefoot, do your feet look "flat", that is to say no arch on the inside of the foot. With your feet non weight bearing--sitting in a chair--does it look like your feet have an arch. Your foot structure will determine with you need a well made orthotic, stiff boot, or something different.

Rangefinder
10-14-2015, 18:40
Without being a doctor or knowing of your specific foot problems..

I can tell you that my feet are wide and I've had very good luck with Asolo boots if you can get them in a wide width...I'm on my third pair over an eight year period...

Granted, I don't hike a ton of miles but I have 1) ankle issues and a 2) a wide foot and 3) very hot feet and I've had excellent luck with all of my Asolos.

Best of luck to you.

misterfloyd
10-15-2015, 08:14
After going to several podiatrist and and Ortho doc. I have been told I have post tibular tendinitis. I have heard many diagnoses, and not one has taken an MRI, which to me means they are guessing.

Sitting or standing, my feet are flat.

In speaking with these doctors, I have not gotten a consistent diagnoses. The ortho doc, wants to put me in an ankle brace for 6 months, others want to cut.

I have delt with tendinitis before. It has been 4 months of rest. It's not cutting it. There are other treatments that I will be seeking.

I do appreciate all of the input from you all. I have found that the hard orthopedics that were prescribed to me, has exacerbated the problem. I have since taken them out, and they do feel much better.

Sometimes doctors do more harm than good. I'm afraid that the doctor years ago that prescribed the hard ortho inserts did just that. You cannot create an arch in flat feet. It just doesn't happen.

I remain hopeful and look forward to getting back outside.

Keep the input and your thoughts coming. I learn through you!

Thank you,
Floyd

perrypt2
10-15-2015, 18:09
Posterior tibial tendonitis is a result of a flat foot or a foot that over pronates. You said your feet were flat weight bearing or non weight bearing. Even though your foot looks flat it is important to determine if the forefoot ( the part of the foot at the toes) is slanted up. This is called a forefoot varus. This is a major cause of flat feet and can be corrected with orthotics.

Sorry to be so technical but depending on the type of flat foot makes a big difference on how you treat it. The surgery you mentioned was probably to rebuild the fallen arch. It is a big deal surgery. Perhaps we can Skype to look at your foot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

misterfloyd
10-17-2015, 18:21
perrypt2
I appreciate the help, PM sent.

High Mileage
02-16-2016, 19:24
I don't like boots very much for the trail mostly and use trail runners, but when I do they have to be super stiff on the bottom. The uppers should be light, flexible, rugged, and breath decent. Unfortunately though most boots I would consider boots come only in waterproof, which makes them a little bit warmer.
I used Asolo Drifters form the Whites to Katahdin thinking it was going to be colder, bit it was still hot outside almost to the end. They did well in the heat, but it's important to take off the socks and boots during breaks.
I would get Asolo Fugitive GTX boots next time as I believe they will be a little stiffer and last a bit longer.
Hope that helps a little.