PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Talismans

Traveler
08-27-2015, 08:37
The post about the stuffed chameleon (sorry for the loss there) puts a spotlight on an interesting facet of hiking, the various talisman people carry with them. Talismans, or "good luck charms" support a wide range of beliefs, which I have always found interesting. Its one of the few times I will initiate a conversation with a strange on a trail when I happen to see an interesting talisman hanging from a pack or around a neck.

A lot of things fit this niche, from St Christopher medals to hoodoo roots to Mojo bags. In that spirit, I thought it might be interesting to see what, if any, talismans exist among those here and if so, what are they and why do you have it.

My talisman is a bit different than the classic type one runs across, its a molded plastic indian from a 1950s era Cowboy/Indian set. I found it during a bushwhack after I got turned around and a little lost. Following a brook that turned into a major stream I stumbled across this childs toy figure, a crouching indian in full head dress, holding a spear. How this toy figure got to this location in a wilderness remains a mystery, but I figured it was destiny.

The spear was pointing upstream, which was the direction I came from and the wrong way. Since then, Chief Squatsalot has been my talisman for choosing the wrong direction. If there is a choice of direction and no other resources I can use to make the choice, I remove Squatsalot from the pack where he hangs, toss him into the air and when he lands I go the opposite way he points his spear. I know it sounds preposterous but it works more than it doesn't.

So, what talismans do we have out there?

Slo-go'en
08-27-2015, 12:06
I never felt compelled to carry anything like that, but I will pick up interesting objects along the way and carry them for the duration of the hike. At one time I had a collection of earrings, but never a pair. It seems the girls always loose just one.

I once meet one guy with a decision making thing similar to your Chief Squatsalot. It was a string with a heavy seed pod on the end. He would hold the string with the seed dangling, ask a question and wait to see how it moved. Back and forth indicated yes, a circle indicated no. I think it told him to get off the trail, since he disappeared not too long after.

joncarter
08-27-2015, 12:27
I've picked up rocks from peaks, and purchased patches or geological marker zipper pulls to put on my pack for the personal accomplishments I feel that I've completed. I do have a beenie baby monkey that was given to me when I was in the Army that I took on deployments, but never on a trek (unneeded extra weight). If I found something lighter (like your plastic Indian) perhaps I would be more inclined to take it.

Riocielo
08-30-2015, 23:07
I have a tiny stuffed Snoopy that hangs from my pack because we miss our beagle when we leave her for a section hike.

Red Cinema
08-31-2015, 12:04
Check out Red Panda's Red Panda:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=511947

She summited the big K just the other day.

I myself have no particular talisman as yet, but I do have a keen eye for strange stuff laying around. Bolts, nuts, jewelry, lost gear, and the usual unfortunate trash. Emptying my pockets at the end of a multi-day hike is always interesting.

BirdBrain
08-31-2015, 12:46
I have always called mine an avatar. I guess that is not an accurate description. Talisman? Hmm... I think we need a better name than mine or that. Anyways... here is mine. I am not sure why I carry him. No matter what I do, he remains pissed off.

~

LittleRock
08-31-2015, 12:56
Does a wedding ring count? I always wear mine to ward off all those hot girls who try to follow me through the woods :-)

Traveler
08-31-2015, 13:14
Does a wedding ring count? I always wear mine to ward off all those hot girls who try to follow me through the woods :-)

Have to be careful in the Carolinas with that, I understand even the wedding ring talisman will not prevent love starved Argentinian Nationals from leaping out from behind trees to attack you!

Traveler
08-31-2015, 13:16
I have always called mine an avatar. I guess that is not an accurate description. Talisman? Hmm... I think we need a better name than mine or that. Anyways... here is mine. I am not sure why I carry him. No matter what I do, he remains pissed off.

~

HA! Cute photo. I wouldn't begin to know what that would protect you from outside of perhaps a bad day start in the morning.

Perhaps using the term "talisman" was inaccurate, good luck charm, mascot, or bobble might have worked. Though most people over time attribute various things to these bobbles and charms if they carry them long enough.

BirdBrain
08-31-2015, 13:44
HA! Cute photo. I wouldn't begin to know what that would protect you from outside of perhaps a bad day start in the morning.

Perhaps using the term "talisman" was inaccurate, good luck charm, mascot, or bobble might have worked. Though most people over time attribute various things to these bobbles and charms if they carry them long enough.

Mascot or good luck charm is getting very close. I felt sorry for the guy. I have given him a free ride over hundreds of miles and he remains a grouch. Just no pleasing some people.

Odd Man Out
08-31-2015, 15:30

I leave my wedding ring at home as my hands will swell if it's hot out and I risk losing it if I take it off on the trail. Oddly enough I do not seem to have a problem with hot girls throwing themselves at me. Can't figure out why????

nsherry61
08-31-2015, 15:54
I leave my wedding ring at home as my hands will swell if it's hot out and I risk losing it if I take it off on the trail. Oddly enough I do not seem to have a problem with hot girls throwing themselves at me. Can't figure out why????

It's because you're not wearing your wedding ring. . . I wear a fake one to attract them.

Traveler
08-31-2015, 16:25

Odd, a guy in South Carolina had that problem....

By the way, do you use trekking poles? If not you may want to try them. I did not realize it myself until someone posted to a board thread on poles that holding the poles helps to prevent and/or control hand swelling. I have noticed that since that post and found that its true.