PDA

View Full Version : Womens Osprey 65L for a 9 day hike...Any feedback to share?

Lnj
08-27-2015, 11:16
This is the pack I am planning to get, unless someone can share some good reasons why not?

RebeccaS
08-27-2015, 12:09
I have the Osprey Aura 65L and I love it. I know I could buy a lighter weight pack but the weight rides so nicely on my hips with the Aura that it *feels* lighter than other packs I've tried.

I would recommend going to a store and trying them on since every body type is different. I've also not tried the new Ospreys with the updated suspension.

RangerZ
08-27-2015, 12:15
I'm starting 9 days on Saturday with my "Atomos monster" 65L. If I remember I'll give you feedback in two weeks.

Lnj
08-27-2015, 13:06
I actually did go to REI and get "fitted" so I know what size I wear. This is a zero gravity pack. It is on the heavier side, but I am told that it will last longer and is more durable. I can supplement that weight by going UL with the inside pieces. It has top and bottom entry, but no side entry. I'm not sure how well that will work for me. I also wonder about the pack cover that comes with it. Is it waterproof? Has anyone else put any miles on it?

RebeccaS
08-27-2015, 13:21
Mine didn't come with a pack cover so I can't speak to that.

As for the entry points, because I use a trash compactor bag to line the pack the bottom entry is not really usable. I quickly got used to loading everything through the top, it's never bothered me. I just put everything I might need during the day (raingear, snacks, water treatment, etc) in the front zippered pockets or in the lid. That way once it's packed I rarely need to get into the main part of the pack until I make camp again.

SteelCut
08-27-2015, 13:40
65L is really a large pack and who says this is the size you are going to need??

I've commented on this before but it seems like most newbies go about buying a pack backwards. Buy your other gear first and only then buy a pack based on the size will fit all of your gear plus anticipated food amount between resupplies plus amount of water you will carry. If you absolutely need a pack "now", buy a cheaper used one and only after you have all the rest of your gear dialed and some experience under your belt buy a new pack based on the amount of your gear and experience.

Lnj
08-27-2015, 13:47
Makes sense SteelCut. I may start getting the bits and pieces together first and buy the pack last. REI Sales Guy is where I got the sizing from when I went to get fitted. But I see that the "L" part depends on what you put in it. Have to figure that out first. For some reason I was thinking the big 3 had to come first.

Thanks.

Venchka
08-27-2015, 18:19
Shelter & sleep system (quilt/bag, pad, pillow?) should more or less come first. Clothes. Food. Kitchen. Water system of choice (bottles, bags, filtering, purification chemicals), Pack in roughly that order.

Many folks say, "You only need a pack of X liters. Don't buy a bigger pack." On the other hand, they don't know what you plan to carry. Also, any pack worth having will compress to fit smaller loads. The larger pack will weigh more. However, if you find a pack that fits you, is comfortable with more weight than you plan to carry most of the time and affordable, why not buy it? Usually, we're only talking about 10 liters or so between the minimum and maximum pack capacity that suits most folks.

Wayne

RockDoc
08-27-2015, 19:25
Why such a large capacity pack? You can do anything on the AT with a 2-lb 40 liter pack, total weight 20-25 lbs.

Venchka
08-27-2015, 21:45
Why such a large capacity pack? You can do anything on the AT with a 2-lb 40 liter pack, total weight 20-25 lbs.
What pack would that be? What gear at what price works in that pack?
I really would like to know. I could stand to shave weight from my gear if the cost isn't excessive.
Thanks.

Wayne

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Lnj
08-28-2015, 09:55

Yes, I imagine a 2000 miler can absolutely do that. However, a 1) older, 2) fat & out of shape WOMAN, 3) Newbie that has only ever dayhiked in the past may have a harder time not bringing the kitchen sink along on a 9 day trip. :o