PDA

View Full Version : Rain Jacket

LittleRock
08-27-2015, 14:23
Going to hit up the REI Labor Day sale this weekend and buy a much needed replacement for my 12 year old Marmot rain jacket (with multiple places where I have used duct tape to repair tears).

I am considering 3 jackets which are 30+% off normal price: The REI Cresttrail ($139/$99 sale), the Marmot Minimalist ($200/$140 sale), and the ArcTeryx Beta LT Hybrid ($349/$200 sale).

I was going to go with the Marmot since my last one was great - but the online reviews indicate that their quality has gone down recently. Anyone have any personal experience with any of these products?

TNhiker
08-27-2015, 16:38
im also thinking about picking up the crestrail jacket............i dont have enough money to get the others....

also looking to hear reviews on the cresttrail........

if its like the one i saw this guy wearing on grassy ridge in a downpour-----the water just beaded off the danged thing....

Yankee15
08-27-2015, 18:45
Every thru hiker I saw either had the $20 frog toggs (they work ok) or the OR helium 2...I might try those if I feel like spending $100. Anything more seems like overkill.

Hangfire
08-27-2015, 19:24
X2 on the frog toggs!

saltysack
08-28-2015, 08:14
OR helium 2 works good for rain/wind..happy w mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
08-28-2015, 09:37
Every thru hiker I saw either had the $20 frog toggs (they work ok) or the OR helium 2...I might try those if I feel like spending $100. Anything more seems like overkill.Yes, very popular jackets, but certainly not used by "every thru hiker".... And plenty good enough (the Frog Toggs) for summer conditions on the AT.

I own both, and have been a huge Dri-Ducks (AKA Frogg Toggs) proponent over the years, been using these garments for maybe 8 years now. Just recently it seems Frogg Toggs has changed their process, material, something on their jackets and my latest two have wetted out much quicker and have failed me in moderately-wet conditions. So I do still use them for a lot of hikes and even some overnights here in Colorado (where we don't generally get all-day soakers). Or I reach for my OR Helium when I think it's going to be a tad wetter.

But my bomb-proof, go-to jacket for harsh conditions is the Arc'teryx Alpha SL. 11 ounces which is 5 more than my 6 ounce Frogg Toggs (the Helium is about the same as the FT's), but I tell ya, on the chillier parts of the AT where you do care about getting soaked, this jacket is the best there is for the weight (11 ounces is not bad, really).

I'm talking about the Alpha SL, not the ALpha LT which is heavier (16 ounces?). I own the LT as well, but that is my winter bomb-proof jacket. check out the Alpha SL... it's on sale for $188 here if you wear a medium and are OK with red:

http://www.evo.com/shell-jackets/arcteryx-alpha-sl-jacket.aspx?esvt=-&esvq=&esvadt=999999---1&esvcrea=41648403148&esvplace=&esvaid=30559#image=73831/392858/arc-teryx-alpha-sl-jacket-diablo-red.jpg&select=true&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&utm_campaign=EB-73831-1022

Or they have a large in black for the low 200's. I've used EVO many times, a solid company, no problems.

Casey & Gina
08-29-2015, 02:46
I am currently trying to decide between the Montbell Versalite and the Marmot Super Mica. Leaning towards the latter I think...

Traveler
08-29-2015, 08:10
Yes, very popular jackets, but certainly not used by "every thru hiker".... And plenty good enough (the Frog Toggs) for summer conditions on the AT.

I own both, and have been a huge Dri-Ducks (AKA Frogg Toggs) proponent over the years, been using these garments for maybe 8 years now. Just recently it seems Frogg Toggs has changed their process, material, something on their jackets and my latest two have wetted out much quicker and have failed me in moderately-wet conditions. So I do still use them for a lot of hikes and even some overnights here in Colorado (where we don't generally get all-day soakers). Or I reach for my OR Helium when I think it's going to be a tad wetter.

But my bomb-proof, go-to jacket for harsh conditions is the Arc'teryx Alpha SL. 11 ounces which is 5 more than my 6 ounce Frogg Toggs (the Helium is about the same as the FT's), but I tell ya, on the chillier parts of the AT where you do care about getting soaked, this jacket is the best there is for the weight (11 ounces is not bad, really).

I'm talking about the Alpha SL, not the ALpha LT which is heavier (16 ounces?). I own the LT as well, but that is my winter bomb-proof jacket. check out the Alpha SL... it's on sale for $188 here if you wear a medium and are OK with red:
Or they have a large in black for the low 200's. I've used EVO many times, a solid company, no problems.

+1. Though very popular, I look at the Dri-Ducks as being for summer use for the most part and not a good choice for moving off trail with. I haven't been real thrilled with Dri-Duck performance in most rain above nuisance precipitation, but I will use them in warm weather for trail use only, in cold weather or doing things off trail I won't rely on them. For cold weather where wind and low temperatures will hasten hypothermia, especially where precipitation is likely, my go-to rain protection is the EMS Ascent rain jacket, a fairly robust jacket that I've used for a number of years.

The jacket weight at 13.5 oz is a bit more than I would like and as Rob points out this level of gear can be pricey (what isn't) but its performance is unmatched and I expect to carry a bit more weight in cold weather. It vents interior moisture very well and perhaps most importantly blocks wind like nothing else I have used. Though this level of protective gear may not be necessary the farther south one goes, in the Northeast and any major mountain chain in the northern US in my view, its critical.

LittleRock
08-29-2015, 16:56
Thanks all! I ended up getting the Cresttrail. The difference maker was the pockets. My previous Marmot jacket (and the Minimalist) had pockets right above the hips - basically useless when carrying a backpack. The pockets in the Cresttrail are about 6" higher so they are above the hip belt. Now maybe I'll actually use my waterproof camera when it's raining.

Casey & Gina
08-29-2015, 19:15
I am currently trying to decide between the Montbell Versalite and the Marmot Super Mica. Leaning towards the latter I think...

I came across a Super Mica today on the clearance rack at REI - not my size but enough to evaluate it and determine it was not the jacket for me. I really liked the lighter material of the Outdoor Research Helium 2, and I believe the Montbell should deliver that along with a couple key features the OR lacks (adjustable cuffs, pit zips, etc.).

So, the Montbell Versalite it is!

Casey & Gina
08-29-2015, 19:18
I should also mention that for my slender tall frame, the Outdoor Research jacket fit a lot nicer than any Marmot product I tried. If for some reason I don't end up liking the Versalite or feeling like I really need the extra features, the Helium 2 may be a good fallback option...all in all I thought it was a nice jacket!

nsherry61
08-29-2015, 19:28
There is a company called O2 (like molecular oxygen) that makes rain gear similar to Frog Toggs/Dry Ducks (http://rainshield.shptron.com/home/index/4889.0.1.1), BUT, from what I can tell it is more durable and maybe even more breathable and waterproof. It may be a bit more expensive at about $25 for the jacket instead of $20 for Frog Toggs.

My 17 yr old son swears by it. I've been next to him, bushwhacking for several hours in some pretty extreme conditions, pooring rain. His coat was not damaged, and not wetted out from either the inside or the outside.

My son won't wear other raingear, even his Marmot Precip, because he gets hot and sweaty in other WPB jackets when hiking or skiing hard.

Vegan Packer
08-30-2015, 00:02
Another vote for the OR Helium II.

Casey & Gina
08-30-2015, 09:13
Another vote for the OR Helium II.

Nice picture! What is the rain skirt you are using there? Do you find that you wish that there were pit zips for ventilation or adjustable cuffs at any times?

saltysack
08-30-2015, 10:23
Looks like the ula rain wrap....lite ...cheap...I like mine...helium as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vegan Packer
08-30-2015, 17:03
Looks like the ula rain wrap....lite ...cheap...I like mine...helium as well

Yes, that's exactly what it is. I got the larger size, at the suggestion of the manufacturer, and I am really glad that I did. The kilt comes down to a level that overlaps how high my gaiters come up on my leg, so I get absolutely no water dripping down on my ankles (and then into my shoes). Just like the Helium II, the kilt sas its own built in stuff pocket, so I can just stuff it into itself for storage.

I tend to get warm too easily, and I was initially concerned about the Helium II being a problem due to ventilation issues, but it is so light weight a breathes so well that it wasn't an issue at all. The wrists gather very well, and I haven't found any issues with a need to tighten them more than the are. Also, they have a stretchy elastic type of cuff, from what I recall. Never a problem, even when I would reach out and up with my arms in the rain.

Between the great ventilation of using the rain kilt plus the Helium II, I never got even close to overheated, and I wasn't feeling like I was swimming in a steam bath inside.

These are both some of the best choices in gear that I have made. So far (knock on wood) I've not had issues with any rips, even after going through trails that were so overgrown that it was just a step away from bushwhacking.

My only suggestion would be to consider what you will be wearing under the Helium II. The design is without a lot of extra bulk. The fabric has no give, and if you are wearing thick layers under it, and you are between sizes, you might want to consider going with the larger of the two sizes. I am not saying that the jacket runs small, but that you think about this if you are on the edge of moving up to the next size. I am 5'9" and a medium frame, and I was on the cusp of a medium and a large, I think (it's been a while), and the large was a great choice for me. It was never too big, and it was never too tight.

Hope this helps.

Casey & Gina
08-30-2015, 17:21
Thanks! I have been noodling it over, and I believe my choice has shifted to the OR Helium II and the ULA Rain Kilt as well! Nowhere near me resells Montbell to try out before ordering, and I just really liked the Helium jacket. On the heavier Marmot and Arc'teryx jackets, I found the pit zips to add bulk into a very awkward place.

HikerDoc
08-30-2015, 22:17
I am also a big fan of the OR Helium 2. Best combination of weight, breathability, and price.

I would echo the above comment about sizing up depending upon your layering plan. I wear a medium in pretty much every kind of top, and the medium jacket fits me well, but I use my primarily for warm weather months where several layers is less of a concern. However, if you want to fit a bunch of layers underneath, size up.

gbolt
09-01-2015, 20:18
There is a company called O2 (like molecular oxygen) that makes rain gear similar to Frog Toggs/Dry Ducks (http://rainshield.shptron.com/home/index/4889.0.1.1), BUT, from what I can tell it is more durable and maybe even more breathable and waterproof. It may be a bit more expensive at about $25 for the jacket instead of $20 for Frog Toggs.

My 17 yr old son swears by it. I've been next to him, bushwhacking for several hours in some pretty extreme conditions, pooring rain. His coat was not damaged, and not wetted out from either the inside or the outside.

My son won't wear other raingear, even his Marmot Precip, because he gets hot and sweaty in other WPB jackets when hiking or skiing hard.

I questioned purchasing the O2 jacket myself. It is used a great deal by the Biking/Camping sector. Seems to be good quality for a great price. I myself went with a close out Marmot Precip for a greatly reduced price and am happy with it. Howeverr, post such as this, shows that we need to remain open minded to all possibilities. Thanks for sharing yoru son's experience.

Wildfang
09-01-2015, 21:52
The marmot essence is a super lightweight and breathable jacket
I personally have mountain hardwear's super plasmic jacket.
Living in GA, gortex doesn't matter because nothing is breathable here. For the record, both of these jackets are breathable, but in humid GA it just doesn't work. But they're waterproof.

If you really like a jacket that's lost it's waterproof powers, you can always get nikwax and throw it in the wash. It adds breathability and waterproofing to the materials already making the jacket. It's good for older rain jackets that may have lost their unf as well.

colorado_rob
09-02-2015, 08:31
... If you really like a jacket that's lost it's waterproof powers, you can always get nikwax and throw it in the wash. It adds breathability and waterproofing to the materials already making the jacket. It's good for older rain jackets that may have lost their unf as well.Great tip.... I try to Nik-wax refresh my good jackets once a year. What the DWR refreshing does for a jacket is to make the rain bead up more on the exterior, allowing more fabric area to breathe, vs. when the DWR has worn off, rain tends to soak the exterior closing off the breathing.

My method is to gently machine wash the jacket first using a Nikwax Tech Wash, let it air dry a bit, spray the Nikwax waterproofing product all over the jacket and soak it well in, then throw the jacket into the dryer on mild heat and dry it out. Voila, next time it rains it all beads up well; this lasts a couple months, at least.