PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight winter tent

tauwillow
08-28-2015, 14:13
My husband and I are hammock campers, but we're hoping to hike the Grand Canyon in late January. We are going to need to buy a winter tent. Already our packs are going to be heavier because of the warmer clothing layers - so I'd really like something on the lighter side. I can't say that money is no object, but we're willing to invest in something that can service both needs. (cold weather/lightweight)

Any suggestions?

Feral Bill
08-28-2015, 14:22
I don't believe you need to worry about snow loads, down in the canyon, so any good three season tent should do. You could even consider a tarp.

colorado_rob
08-28-2015, 14:25
You should not need a winter tent for backpacking in the Grand Canyon, if you choose your camp sites wisely. for example, lots of folks love Indian gardens, about half way down the south rim, but that particular camp can get pretty cold as it's on a north facing slope and still kinda high. If you take the stand trails like the Bright Angel or the South Kaibab, just hike to the river and camp and you should be really comfy in a regular tent. Snow is extremely rare down there, and if you get a little, no biggie. Cottonwood Camp is pretty decent in the dead of winter, as it's south facing.

If you really want a light winter tent you will probably have to spend some bucks... We have the Big Agnes String Ridge for Colorado winter backpacking.

But again, though the rims are very cold in the winter, when you hike down into the GC it warms up fast. I'd also consider undressing just a tad when you start out knowing that warmer times are just a short walk down. Don't get me wrong, it won't be like summer down there, but it should be in the 40's or better. More likely in the 50's/60's.

matjbrown
08-28-2015, 15:44
REI is having a sale right now you can get some lightweight two person tents fairly reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matjbrown
08-28-2015, 15:45
Tarptent also has some nice versions that would work if you don't mind single wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Franco
08-28-2015, 19:42
"Tarptent also has some nice versions that would work if you don't mind single wall. "
Thanks for the comment.
We also have several double wall models, three of our two person tents are double wall
(StratoSpire2/Double Moment and Scarp 2)
tarptent.com

franco@tarptent

Malto
08-28-2015, 20:08
I don't believe you need to worry about snow loads, down in the canyon, so any good three season tent should do. You could even consider a tarp.

^What he said!

Another Kevin
08-28-2015, 21:00

That is one area where skill and hard work can make up for a lot of deficiencies in gear. Even ADK Winter Mountaineering School says that you can make do with a 3-season tent in deep winter. You'll have to build a windbreak, it will be really uncomfortable if you have to hunker down, and you might have to crawl out every few hours to relieve the snow load, but it's doable.

And that said, the Canyon won't have what a Northeasterner would call 'deep winter' conditions.

Feral Bill
08-28-2015, 23:30
TEven ADK Winter Mountaineering School says that you can make do with a 3-season tent in deep winter.
Now that you mention it. A friend and I did just that when we went back in the seventies. We were totally comfortable, on that and subsequent trips. For the Whites, though, we used full on winter tents.

fiddlehead
08-28-2015, 23:31
I had snow down in the canyon in March already (3-4 inches anyway)
So, could happen.
But yes, a 3 season tent would be fine.
I was in a mega-mid and stayed dry.
But then, the Mega mid is a great tent (tarp?)
That was on a kayaking trip, paddling the whole thing.

Already hiked down there in Jan and had ice and snow making for some treachorous footing.

Also, had some trips hiking in Jan with perfect weather.
Good luck.

tauwillow
08-29-2015, 15:37
Thanks everyone for weighing in. It sounds like a good 3 season tent is the way to go. We might be able to borrow one from a friend, in that case.