PDA

View Full Version : Storing tent stakes

skylark
08-29-2015, 10:49
How do you store your stakes so that they are easy to access, easy to keep track of, and don't puncture your gear in your pack?

nsherry61
08-29-2015, 11:30
I just keep them in a small stuff sack along with other small misc tenting supplies like guy lines, ground sheet etc. I've never had problems with the points doing damage to anything. I often then keep the stuff sack rolled up in my tarp or tent roll, but not always.

chiefduffy
08-29-2015, 11:38
I keep mine in a ziplock in my campshoes.

Vegan Packer
08-29-2015, 17:24
I went to a fabric store, and I bought some cordura, which is a much tougher matieral, and then I stitched a custom stuff sack for mine. (Trust me, I am not what you would call handy. I used a homemade speedy stitcher type of device for the seam sewing, inasmuch as I don't own a sewing machine.) The material is a little heavier, but I made the stuff sack just big enough to hold the stakes, so it was next to nothing extra for the weight over silnylon. While I was at it, I also made a sack for my trowel, since its edges are sharp enough that I was worried about it cutting through the outside mesh of my pack. (You can see the yellow handle sticking out.) The third is a rock throw sack, since I figured that rocks hitting the ground would quickly kill a lighter material.

ChrisJackson
08-29-2015, 17:57
I have 8 Vargo Ti stakes I drop in a ziplock which goes in the bottom of my exterior mesh pocket on my Catalyst.

BirdBrain
08-29-2015, 18:25
JimmyJam made me a cuben fiber sleeve for my gutter nails. I made 2 shock cord bungie cords to hold my tent poles together in lieu of a sleeve for them. I strap my gutter nail sleeve to the poles with the shock cord. The poles go in my pack on one side and outside my trash compactor bag. They have not moved away from where I strap the to the poles yet. One tiny cuben fiber sleeve and two shock cords. That's how this gram weenie does it. :)

Casey & Gina
08-29-2015, 21:09
I went to a fabric store, and I bought some cordura, which is a much tougher matieral, and then I stitched a custom stuff sack for mine. (Trust me, I am not what you would call handy. I used a homemade speedy stitcher type of device for the seam sewing, inasmuch as I don't own a sewing machine.) The material is a little heavier, but I made the stuff sack just big enough to hold the stakes, so it was next to nothing extra for the weight over silnylon. While I was at it, I also made a sack for my trowel, since its edges are sharp enough that I was worried about it cutting through the outside mesh of my pack. (You can see the yellow handle sticking out.) The third is a rock throw sack, since I figured that rocks hitting the ground would quickly kill a lighter material.

Love the DIY! I didn't realize you could just go and buy cordura! That QiWiz trowel looks awfully familiar! I store our trowel in the same small stuff sack as our spoons. As for the tent stakes - they get their own small stuff sack but end up rolled in with the tent or slid inside the larger tent stuff sack on one side.

Vegan Packer
08-29-2015, 23:54
That QiWiz trowel looks awfully familiar!

I got the biggest one. Works great with the handle sticking out, so that I don't get any contact from the trowel or bag contents on it. The edge is sharp! That's why I decided to use a tougher fabric. So far, so good.

rafe
08-30-2015, 00:05
In a tiny stuff sack rolled up inside the tent alongside the folded tent pole.

MuddyWaters
08-30-2015, 00:08
Small stuffsak in mesh pocket on pack

shakey_snake
08-30-2015, 01:33
http://i.imgur.com/ubVmqpT.jpg

jefals
08-30-2015, 02:21
mine are in a tiny stuff sack inside the stuff sack for the tent poles. But if that will all fit inside the tent stuff sack, as Rafe mentioned, that will be great for me!

The Snowman
08-30-2015, 13:44
I just keep them in the little stuff sake that came with the tent and roll it up with the poles and tent.

deerdog
08-30-2015, 14:35
2WWW makes a nice small tent stake bag with a reinforced bottom.

deerdog
08-30-2015, 14:37
2QZQ That is.

JRinGeorgia
08-30-2015, 20:19
I used tyvek to make a small sack just the right size to hold my stakes.

saltysack
08-30-2015, 20:42
Either a home made tyvek sack thx to us post office or stick sharp points into the side of a small piece of cardboard and u can also wrap bear bag line around card board put in ziplock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jefals
08-31-2015, 12:34
[QUOTE=Vegan Packer;1999130]I went to a fabric store, and I bought some cordura, which is a much tougher matieral, and then I stitched a custom stuff sack for mine.

31798/QUOTE]

What kind of thread did you use? (I'm gonna use your suggestion and make a rock bag)...

Ktaadn
08-31-2015, 13:01
in the same bag as the poles

Vegan Packer
08-31-2015, 13:05
I went with Gutermann brand thread, made from either nylon or polyester, if I remember correctly. (Make sure to get a man made thread, not cotton.) They have one for outdoors or something like that--I can't remember the name. It is a heavier thread. It could go by outdoor upholstery thread. You can also Google it. I got the suggestion from some of the cottage backpacking manufacturers I have seen. Some even sell it.

Odd Man Out
08-31-2015, 14:02
JimmyJam made me a cuben fiber sleeve for my gutter nails. I made 2 shock cord bungie cords to hold my tent poles together in lieu of a sleeve for them. I strap my gutter nail sleeve to the poles with the shock cord. The poles go in my pack on one side and outside my trash compactor bag. They have not moved away from where I strap the to the poles yet. One tiny cuben fiber sleeve and two shock cords. That's how this gram weenie does it. :)

I was using a plastic bag, but that didn't last long. Am too am getting CF sack. You can buy one from MLD.

At only 5$ it's a cheap way to get some CF gear.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=209

Pedaling Fool
08-31-2015, 14:48
I simply keep them in the little bag they came in and put them in the bigger bag (original bag) with the tent poles and keep in a side pocket of my pack; my tent gets shoved into my pack.

I've never had a problem with them puncturing anything.

Keeping my spare spokes from puncturing my panniers, now that's been a problem over the years...:mad:

Moosling
08-31-2015, 15:31
I carry my poles on the outside of my pack strapped to the side(not swinging or anything) The stakes I just leave in the tent bag inside my pack, I haven't had any trouble.

jefals
08-31-2015, 22:24
I went with Gutermann brand thread, made from either nylon or polyester, if I remember correctly. (Make sure to get a man made thread, not cotton.) They have one for outdoors or something like that--I can't remember the name. It is a heavier thread. It could go by outdoor upholstery thread. You can also Google it. I got the suggestion from some of the cottage backpacking manufacturers I have seen. Some even sell it.

Thanks...good info!

jefals
09-01-2015, 13:25
[QUOTE=jefals;1999559][QUOTE=Vegan Packer;1999130then I stitched a custom stuff sack for mine.

31798/QUOTE]

Just thinking... how about the drawstring? If you buy a stuff sack, it has that little plastic gizmo on the drawstring, to close it with... I'm guessing you don't have that plastic piece on the homemade one, and the idea is that you just tie it closed?

Vegan Packer
09-01-2015, 15:37
For the drawstring, I went to a local Michael's. I checked Michael's and a Jo-Ann Fabric for the cord locks. Both had them, but they were too large for my liking, especially if you are a gram counter. I ended out buying the locks on Amazon. They were super cheap, from what I recall.

jefals
09-02-2015, 01:19
For the drawstring, I went to a local Michael's. I checked Michael's and a Jo-Ann Fabric for the cord locks. Both had them, but they were too large for my liking, especially if you are a gram counter. I ended out buying the locks on Amazon. They were super cheap, from what I recall.
Oh yeah, I see em out there on Amazon... Looks like 10 for $1.60. Free Shipping! :)
Thanks, VeganPacker!

jefals
09-16-2015, 22:43
Vegan Paker, I got my shoe repair store to MN ake a couple of those Cordura rock bags. I think they might last forever. But I find the material is so tough that it's kinda hard to pull the bag closed...any tips?

Venchka
09-16-2015, 22:54
I simply keep them in the little bag they came in and put them in the bigger bag (original bag) with the tent poles and keep in a side pocket of my pack; my tent gets shoved into my pack.

I've never had a problem with them puncturing anything.

Keeping my spare spokes from puncturing my panniers, now that's been a problem over the years...:mad:

My spare spokes are taped to the top of the drive side chainstay. They can't harm anything. Some people put them in the seat tube. Not sure how that is done.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

RangerZ
09-16-2015, 23:17
I put them in the small stuff sack for my tent footprint (without the footprint). The cord is threaded through one of the compression straps and the bag is in the bottom of one of the side pockets with the bottom of my poles.
I made a rock bag out of a circle of onion bag material and threaded a cord around the perimeter to cinch it closed. Carabiner and cord gets gathered up and stored in the bag. Good thing about PA – it’s not hard to find rocks but I’ve had problems finding a small enough one.

Dogwood
09-16-2015, 23:48
How do you store your stakes so that they are easy to access, easy to keep track of, and don't puncture your gear in your pack?

Leftover microfiber sunglasses pouch with a drawstring closure. The sunglasses pouch is rubber banded to my also rubber banded foldable tarp poles. Sometimes I'll wrap all that in a shirt or slip clean socks over the ends of those poles/tent stake pouch. Never had damage to anything including when the tarp poles/tent stakes pouch is laying vertically up against a partially inflated NeoAir that doubles as virtual suspension in a ULA CDT backpack. .

Vegan Packer
09-17-2015, 02:39
Vegan Paker, I got my shoe repair store to MN ake a couple of those Cordura rock bags. I think they might last forever. But I find the material is so tough that it's kinda hard to pull the bag closed...any tips?

It gets easier with time. Try wrinkling and crunching it up a bunch of times. That will get the material to accept the folding when you pull on the draw string. Mine is getting easier, but it takes some time. It will develop a memory for how you have closed it after a while. I have thought about putting a piece of the fabric through the wash with fabric softener, just to see if that would make it even easier, but I hear that this can make the fabric wear sooner.

jefals
09-17-2015, 16:09

It gets easier with time. Try wrinkling and crunching it up a bunch of times. .
Ok, the VP