PDA

View Full Version : 3 day hike suggestions near Waynesville, NC

Rossta
08-29-2015, 15:19
Hi there,
I'm looking for suggestions on a 3 day section or loop hike. I'm from FL but will try to be staying in Waynesville as a home base before and after the hike so it would be nice to try to find a good one not too far from there. Last year myself and a friend did the standing indian loop which was great. I think that one was 26 and we did it in 2 days. Looking to maybe do a little bit more miles this time. I'm new to the AT so don't know much about any good sections to do so any suggestions would be great. If you could include info on where to park and shuttle info that would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Ross

daddytwosticks
08-29-2015, 16:06
Davenport Gap to Hot Springs. Very easy to get to from Waynesville. Three days would probably be easy. I'm planning on doing this at the end of September. :)

Vegan Packer
08-29-2015, 16:57
In July, I did a hike from Graveyard fields to Black Balsam to Sam Knob Summit and Flat Laurel Creek. Lots of loop options there. I have pics and videos that I am going to work on and post, hopefully soon.

Vegan Packer
08-29-2015, 16:59
Here is the track that we followed. We were going to loop back, but my friend ended out having to return home a day sooner than we planned.

Puppy
08-29-2015, 18:51
In July, I did a hike from Graveyard fields to Black Balsam to Sam Knob Summit and Flat Laurel Creek. Lots of loop options there. I have pics and videos that I am going to work on and post, hopefully soon.

Just FYI - Camping is closed right now by Graveyard Fields and Bear canisters are required by Black Balsam. Lots of bear activity in the area.

Puppy
08-29-2015, 18:52
Art Loeb Trail might be an option - about 30 miles. Can park on the Brevard end and get a shuttle.

Puppy
08-29-2015, 19:38
Art Loeb Trail might be an option - about 30 miles. Can park on the Brevard end and get a shuttle.

Well....then again, maybe not - I just realized Art Loeb goes right through that same area with the bear canister requirements...

Vegan Packer
08-29-2015, 23:58
The same was true when I was there in July. We were going to start at the parking lot at Sam Knob, but we ended out reversing the start point due to the restrictions, so that we could make our first camp on Black Balsam, the first area that was open for overnighting at the time.

Yes, we carried bear canisters. I have a feeling that this will become a permanent ruling.