PDA

View Full Version : Water situation on AT in GSMNP

Lester C
08-29-2015, 15:40
I'm planning to hike Fontana to Davenport G in late September and early October (2015) I have read some comments that water may be an issue, particularly at shelters, but the comments were old. I would appreciate recent observations. Also, what will be likely temperatures first week of October? Many thanks.

captike
08-29-2015, 18:42
Myself and some of my friends will be in this area at the same time, so I would be interested in this answer as well. I hope to see you on the trail...going the other direction.

HooKooDooKu
08-29-2015, 21:22
Except for extended dry periods, water isn't an issue in GSMNP, and so far this season has been pretty wet. I don't think water will be an issue. However if there are any campsites or shelters where the water source has gone dry, the park service usually says so on their temporary closers page.
As for weather, export night time lows neat freezing +/- 15 degrees (only in extreme weather conditions would there be Temps near zero or snow).

MuddyWaters
08-30-2015, 12:41
Well, much of AT in gsmnp is a ridgewalk. Water can dry up , the rangers put notices on boards at trailheads, but don't depend on this. You can call back country office and ask,they will always give conservative answer. When sources are dry you can often find water following them downhill. I.e. multiple seeps on a hillside, etc. Most shelters will have water though. Gsmnp is a rainforest practically, some of the highest rainfall in us.

gollwoods
09-01-2015, 16:44
ekaneetlee gaphas a spring marked with a blue blaze, going n itis convienent

FL Grandma
09-02-2016, 09:13
We are hiking AT from Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap the week after Labor Day. I called the backcountry office yesterday and was told that Mollies Ridge shelter spring is dry. Russell and Spence are both closed shelters, but water is OK there. They suggested checking water at Birch Spring campsite on the way up. Mostly, they said plan on carrying all water from Fontana to get at least to Russell.

FL Grandma
09-02-2016, 09:14
Can you be more specific? How do we get from AT to Ekaneetlee Gap water source? We are NB.

TNhiker
09-02-2016, 10:40
Can you be more specific? How do we get from AT to Ekaneetlee Gap water source? We are NB.

coming northbound into the gap-----look to the left..................you should see a blue blaze on a tree and a faint little trail....

follow this down for a little bit (its not far at all) and you should see a spring...........

not sure how it would be running though at this time of the year with the dry summer we have had.....

FL Grandma
09-02-2016, 15:33
Thank you!

FL Grandma
09-21-2016, 10:07
We hiked Fontana to Davenport Gap Sept. 7-12. Mollies and Russell Shelters were both dry. Derrick had water. Ekaneetlee Gap was good, but look carefully for the blue blaze on the tree! Birch Spring Campsite had a slow trickle but we managed to fill up there.
Spence had good water. Mt. Collins had good water, but it's a hike down a rocky "path". Mostly it is the south end of the park that water was an issue. Suggest calling the backcountry office before you go. It was a great trip! Enjoy!