PDA

View Full Version : attaching flip flops to the backpack

jefals
08-29-2015, 21:17
Do you just close the velcro strap on the flip flop, and then caribiner, via that strap to the pack? I was concerned that, with all the bouncing around, the velcro might come loose. There are also holes in the rubber that I could have put a caribiner thru, but I was concerned that would probably stretch out the holes....

What I did was this: The velcro strap is attached to each end of the shoe to a tiny metal triangle. I caribinered thru one of those metal triangles -- but it did end up pulling loose from the shoe.
Thanks!

BirdBrain
08-29-2015, 22:16
Do you have cinching straps on the back of your pack similar to your chest strap? If so, weave that strap through the straps that hold the shoe on your feet. Do this with the sole of the flip flop facing the pack. Tighten the strap on the pack. Compression will hold them.in place. Weaving the straps add a safety factor. I do this with my Vibobarefoot shoes and am able to get two straps across the shoes. If this is unclear, but possibly helpful, I can post pictures when I get home.

nsherry61
08-29-2015, 22:31
I hate stuff dangling on my pack. No big deal if you don't go off trail and the things are really light like flip-flops. But, I say put'em in a pocket or inside if you can manage. What BirdBrain said is another great option.

jefals
08-30-2015, 02:16
Do you have cinching straps on the back of your pack similar to your chest strap? If so, weave that strap through the straps that hold the shoe on your feet. Do this with the sole of the flip flop facing the pack. Tighten the strap on the pack. Compression will hold them.in place. Weaving the straps add a safety factor. I do this with my Vibobarefoot shoes and am able to get two straps across the shoes. If this is unclear, but possibly helpful, I can post pictures when I get home.

Yes, I can use that strap on my backpack. Do your vibobarefoot shoes have a strap that is secured by a piece of velcro on the left and right side? Because again, I was afraid that velcro might come undone, and then the strap would slip off the caribiner. But as you suggest, it's probably less likely to slip off a tightly cinched strap.

BirdBrain
08-30-2015, 07:54
Yes, I can use that strap on my backpack. Do your vibobarefoot shoes have a strap that is secured by a piece of velcro on the left and right side? Because again, I was afraid that velcro might come undone, and then the strap would slip off the caribiner. But as you suggest, it's probably less likely to slip off a tightly cinched strap.

No velco straps on mine. They only have a tiny cord to tighten them.up. I run the pack strap through that tiny cord. Like I say, compression holds them in place. The strap through the cord is a safety factor in case the strap fails. They never move around. They lay flat against the back of my pack. The shoes act as a redundant lid for the net pouch on the back of the pack. Items in the netting ate secure. The shoes add a safety factor for the items in he netting.

jefals
08-30-2015, 11:29
No velco straps on mine. They only have a tiny cord to tighten them.up. I run the pack strap through that tiny cord.
Ah. Mine don't have that cord. The shoes do have holes for air. So I think I'll try a variation of your technique on my "now broken" shoe, and running the pack strap thru a couple of the air holes on the other shoe -- on a practice day-hike, and see what happens!
Thanks for giving me the idea so that at least I can ditch the caribiners!

shelb
08-30-2015, 22:39
carabiner!

Traveler
08-31-2015, 06:49
I hate stuff dangling on my pack. No big deal if you don't go off trail and the things are really light like flip-flops. But, I say put'em in a pocket or inside if you can manage. What BirdBrain said is another great option.

+1 Stuff hanging off packs has a tendency in my history to either fall off, or get caught and damage whatever they are attached to on the pack. Unless its something I am using routinely, everything goes into the pack or strapped down so it doesn't move and anything that can catch on things is turned to the inside or otherwise mitigated.

BirdBrain
08-31-2015, 10:40
Found a picture of my Vivobarefoot shoes strapped to the back of my pack. I also have by sticks strapped to the back. This is going through the Mahoosuc Notch. Anyways, this is how I do it. Things stay secured and nothing is flopping around or sticking out.

~

jefals
08-31-2015, 12:11
Thanks, BB.

BirdBrain
08-31-2015, 12:34
I should also note that I think in systems. There is not one item in my pack that I do not think about when I do something like this. Notice how strapping the shoes to the back completely seals off the net pouch on the back. The flaps adjacent to the straps provide a smooth transition across the back of the back. This reduces snagging. Inside the pack, my food bag is on top and directly behind the shoes. I keep fragile food items in Ziplocs with a small amount of air trapped in the Ziploc. The food bag is a roll top cuben fiber bag. It traps air into it as well and offers redundant protection. I used to carry Poptarts in my food bag. Even though I would pull those straps covering my shoes so tight it would break your fingers if they were jammed in between, my Poptarts would suffer zero damage. Part of having OCD is a thing called checking. I practice new methods over and over and over again at home, trying to see potential failures. Whatever method you end up with, think in systems. Create a repeatable routine and get things the same exact way in your pack every day. The haphazard method assures failure in the form of damaged or missing items. There are no stores in the middle of woods. It is wise to consider such things. It stinks to lose or damage items because of having a bad plan or having no plan.

Okay... I have beat this one up. Off to the next obsession.

slbirdnerd
08-31-2015, 14:53
I used about an 8 inch piece of scrap guy line, tie the ends together creating a loop (overhand bow know?). I put this through the straps (not the toe thing) of my flip flops running the end of the loop back through itself, carabiner through that end of the loop, hang anywhere on outside of pack. Works great. When I take them off the pack to use them, the loop goes on the carabiner on the pack so I don't lose them.

English Stu
09-01-2015, 07:15
I use Teva Barracudas as camp shoes and put them in a plastic bag so that it slides in the rear back pack pocket without snagging. It sucks if you lose stuff off your pack .

gbolt
09-01-2015, 17:40
I'm wondering if the Dutch Carl Pack Hanger system could be used to loop through the camp shoes and somehow be attached back to the pack. Trying to find a second purpose for the Hanger to get me to buy it! lol. My only concern would be the length of Zing-it being dealt with; because the shoes need to be easily removed and replaced for fording streams? Anyone else thought this crazy? In the meantime, I use a Caribiner for longer trips and use the side compression Zing-it on the ULA Ohm to hold them down, for short trips.

BirdBrain
09-01-2015, 18:00
I bought my vivobarefoot shoes for fording and camp. I just trudge through in my trail runners now. They are just for camp now. As such, quick removal is not a concern for me. Even so, it takes only moments to unclip the two straps I use.

linus72
09-02-2015, 10:30
used to use a carabiner for the flipflops, now use the carabiner for the vibrobarefoots. the 'biner gets reused later in camp so it serves multi purposes and you can get em pretty light. only a gram weenie would object lol.

BirdBrain
09-02-2015, 11:05
used to use a carabiner for the flipflops, now use the carabiner for the vibrobarefoots. the 'biner gets reused later in camp so it serves multi purposes and you can get em pretty light. only a gram weenie would object lol.

I object. :D