PDA

View Full Version : Stike anywhere matches

otterman
11-28-2005, 09:47
Does anyone know where I can find strike anywhere matches? I like to carry a few as backup, but I can't find them in local stores.:-?

fiddlehead
11-28-2005, 09:50
I just carry a back up lighter (small Bic) they will sometimes work when wet and will dry out quickly.
I believe you can take stick matches and dip them in wax or paraffin but really, the lighters are more reliable.

tacode
11-28-2005, 10:43
A campground store might be your best bet. Last time I saw strike anywhere matches was the store at a KOA near Frederick, MD a few years ago. Although I too carry a small bic lighter, I keep a few match sticks in my 10 essentials kit, just in case.

MacGyver2005
11-28-2005, 10:48
I've never had any trouble finding them at the grocery store. :confused:

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

otterman
11-28-2005, 10:58
I've never had any trouble finding them at the grocery store. :confused:

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

I don't know if it is some wierd Ohio law (like you can't buy wine until after 1:00 PM on Sunday) or what. I've checked all the local stores and they only have the strike on the box type. A campground store may be a good idea.

Moxie00
11-28-2005, 11:01
Hanniford stores in Maine stock them. As a wood burning household we usually have 3 or 4 boxes. I find 2 small bic's more reliable on the trail. One in my pocket and one stored in my pack in a waterproof container for emergencies. I'm sure Hanniford would mail you some if that is the only place you can find them and I can get you the address. Another thing you might do is get on the web and check Diamind Match Co.

Fiddler
11-28-2005, 11:07
Does anyone know where I can find strike anywhere matches? I like to carry a few as backup, but I can't find them in local stores.:-?

It is illegal to sell them in many states now. They have been illegal where I live (Illinois) for several years. Go on E-bay and do a search for *strike anywhere* and you will find them. I bought a lot of 5000 from a guy in Missouri for something like 30 bucks with shipping, that should last me from now on as long as I don't waste them. I also dipped mine in melted paraffin to waterproof them.

Fiddler
11-28-2005, 11:54

I can't edit my last post, so I'll do it again. I just went to E-bay to check something else I'm bidding on and tried the matches while there. Can't find them. So try this link, http://www.emergencyresources.com/er_p11.html (underscore after com.er) probably just what you want

otterman
11-28-2005, 12:36
That will work! Thanks for everyones help.:clap

Footslogger
11-28-2005, 12:56
You may have gotten all the feedback you needed on this one but I'll go ahead and share my experience. I used to carry strike anywhere matches. Truth be told I really didn't find them to work very well. Damned match sticks would break trying to light them. What I did instead was take one of those small orange plastic match cylinders you can get at Walmart and filled them with full length wooden stick matches. I cut a circle out of the striker on the side of the matchbox and pressed it into the top of the orange container. That system has worked well for me now for several years and when the striker wears out I just cut out a new piece from the original matchbox. I also carry a small butane lighter but they don't work well for igniting alcohol down in the sump of my Trangia stove.

I tend to stick the used matches back into the orange container (upside down). What I have done on occasion is to take the butane lighter and ignite the left over match sticks to extend their life.

Anyhew ...that's what I do.

'Slogger

jlb2012
11-28-2005, 13:17
'Slogger - another option is to take a twig or some pine straw, dip one end in the alcohol in the stove then light the twig or whatever with the lighter and use the now burning twig to light the stove - this what I do when I run out of matches and its too cold for the Spark-lite to work. BTW the matches I use are the small strike on the box type - the plastic box the Spark-lite comes in is just the right size to hold a box of these small matches.

Footslogger
11-28-2005, 13:21
'Slogger - another option is to take a twig or some pine straw, dip one end in the alcohol in the stove then light the twig or whatever with the lighter and use the now burning twig to light the stove - this what I do when I run out of matches and its too cold for the Spark-lite to work.
======================================
Excellent suggestion. Thanks. Hadn't thought of that but it sure beats trying to light a short/used match stick. I might start doing that instead of carrying matches at all.

'Slogger

otterman
11-28-2005, 14:03
Thanks for the input. The alcohol stove is what I use the matches for. I have considered putting a striker somewhere, but I didn't know if a small piece from the match box would last that long. Dipping a twig in the alcohol is an excellent idea.

Uncle Silly
11-28-2005, 15:39
Hadn't thought of that but it sure beats trying to light a short/used match stick. I might start doing that instead of carrying matches at all.

You might rethink that. Use twigs when they're available and useful -- they'll be available almost anywhere in the East -- but they'll only be useful when dry or mostly-dry. Your matches will come in very handy when all the twigs are soaked from a 3-day downpour.

Footslogger
11-28-2005, 16:01
You might rethink that. Use twigs when they're available and useful -- they'll be available almost anywhere in the East -- but they'll only be useful when dry or mostly-dry. Your matches will come in very handy when all the twigs are soaked from a 3-day downpour.
=======================
Well said ...and notice I said "MIGHT" (stop carrying them)

'Slogger

Seeker
11-28-2005, 17:22
and dipped in alcohol, they'll still burn, even damp...

Uncle Silly
11-28-2005, 17:51
and dipped in alcohol, they'll still burn, even damp...

Nope. The damp twigs aren't doing the burning here, just the alcohol. Once the alcohol burns off, no more flame.

This still might be enough for your purposes, depending on how long that flame lasts and what you're trying to do with it.

With dry twigs you get the chance for the alcohol flame to ignite the wood and provide flame after all the alcohol is burned off. With slightly damp twigs, the alcohol might have a chance to dry and ignite the wood. With utterly-water-logged twigs, no chance at all -- though you can try to replace some of the water with alcohol, say by allowing the twig to soak in alcohol for a time, which might solve the problem.

I'm just thinking about potential problems and tricks to get around them... just a dip in the alcohol will probably be enough for lighting a stove. There are always other means -- a scrap of toilet paper, using a piece of string as a wick ... or making use of those backup matches you remembered to bring. ;)

Ramble~On
11-28-2005, 18:20

Usually when I am lighting my stove it's cause I'm about to eat or drink something and that generally means I have my spoon nearby....
Yeah... I have been lighting my stove by dipping the handle end of my spoon into the alcohol, lighting it and putting the flame into the stove..
It's worked for as long as I can remember and the spoon isn't melted...and I haven't died from being poisoned from any residue left on the spoon.
I carry two "baby" BIC lighters....one is a backup to the other.
They haven't failed me and haven't been replaced in ???

Strike Anywhere matches have become harder to find because kids were taking them apart....scratching off and collecting the tip which ignited the match.....they were making pipe bombs out of them and either hurting themselves, others or causing property damage.

oldfivetango
11-28-2005, 20:44
ACE HARDWARE has the strike anywhere match.Twig idea sounds great but
I carry a candle,bic styly lighter,and waterproof matches,and some strike anyweres that i dipped just for kicks.
The important thing about the candle is that you dont waste gas or matches lighting it and you are not holding a small bomb close to a larger flame-usually in you dominant hand i might add.
If you had seen the saftey video i did where the welder guy lost his leg from
a hot spark that hit the lighter in his pocket-well,you get the idea.
Oldfivetango

Uncle Silly
11-29-2005, 14:16
Yeah... I have been lighting my stove by dipping the handle end of my spoon into the alcohol, lighting it and putting the flame into the stove..
It's worked for as long as I can remember and the spoon isn't melted...and I haven't died from being poisoned from any residue left on the spoon.

I hope this spoon is metal or wood ... don't try this with a plastic spoon!!
:datz

Lanthar Mandragoran
11-29-2005, 14:35
Not strike anywhere, but hella-good (http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/fire%20starters%20main/nato_issue_lifeboat_matches.htm)

If a bit of overkill...

Footslogger
11-29-2005, 14:42
Not strike anywhere, but hella-good (http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/fire%20starters%20main/nato_issue_lifeboat_matches.htm)

If a bit of overkill...
===============================
I think I might have someone else stike them for me.

'Slogger

RockyTrail
11-29-2005, 19:46
If you had seen the saftey video i did where the welder guy lost his leg from
a hot spark that hit the lighter in his pocket-well,you get the idea.
Oldfivetango

Very Interesting. About ten years ago I was digging in my backyard with a mattock (similar to a pickaxe). Anyway, I lifted it over my head and whacked it at the hard clay ground. When it hit the ground an explosion went off like a M-80 firecracker and dirt flew everywhere. I fell back from the surprise/shock but was unhurt. I scratched around and found shards of an old Bic lighter right where the mattock had hit the ground. The impact of the tool had exploded the gas in the lighter, I'd hate to have that in my pocket!

Lanthar Mandragoran
11-29-2005, 20:41
===============================
I think I might have someone else stike them for me.

'Slogger

That's not a half bad idea... they burn hot...