PDA

View Full Version : Loist Hiker - Baxter State Park

peakbagger
08-30-2015, 07:44
The hiker has hiked the AT. This loop is popular for hikers working on their 100 highest of New England list. It is remote but gets a lot of use. There are not interesting trails but there are a couple so spurs to summits.

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/08/29/news/penobscot/trail-closed-search-expanded-for-missing-baxter-state-park-hiker/

hiker33
08-30-2015, 16:42
He's been found alive in good shape:http://bangordailynews.com/2015/08/30/news/penobscot/missing-hiker-reported-found-alive-in-baxter-state-park/?ref=topStories0

Another Kevin
08-30-2015, 17:40
And this is another example of A-T hikers consuming far, far more than their share of Baxter State Park's resources. Expect it to be used in Jensen Bissell's next speech as yet another example of why the A-T must stop short of the park.

peakbagger
08-30-2015, 17:53
I don't get the connection of your post Kevin, this hike is completely separate from the AT. In all the media reports the individual had hiked the AT at some point in the past but did not represent him to be a current AT hiker. In order to do this loop he would have needed a ride up the perimeter road several miles and he was with a group. I expect he was just a regular camper with reservations who got confused and lost. People get lost in the park on occasion and the park staff expects they will do occasional rescues, thus barring any additional info I don't see the connection with the current AT controversy.

Good to hear he was found.

Old Hillwalker
08-30-2015, 18:31
I agree with peakbagger.

BirdBrain
08-30-2015, 18:39
Agreed. This is not an AT thing. It is a Hundred Highest thing. It is not a people from away thing either. Most people that visit that place are not from Maine. It is just a hiker lost thing... and a happy ending. :)

LoneStranger
08-30-2015, 18:41
So happy to hear he was found alive. A shame some folks couldn't even take the time to think about a human life saved from some very rugged wilderness before thinking about their own petty need to be noticed. I've hiked the area where he was found half a dozen times or so. For him to get there from where he was last seen to where he was found at his age is astounding. Definitely a hearty old goat :)

Another Kevin
08-30-2015, 21:24
OK, all the media reports mentioned the A-T (in connection with the fact that he had been an A-T hiker), and I wasn't familiar with the loop in question. And the way things are going, I still wouldn't be surprised if the A-T somehow gets the blame. (BB, did you notice that Bissell picked up your thread about champagne drawing yellow jackets? I never saw anyone mention that but you until he did.)

peakbagger
08-30-2015, 21:27
They had more details in the Maine papers, he got turned around on the Fort bushwhack and he went 8 miles. That's a very remote area, far more than remote and gnarly than most younger hikers would be able to deal with.

I don't have my maps nearby the computer but 8 miles in that terrain, I agree with a prior poster, hearty old goat!.

BirdBrain
08-30-2015, 22:37
OK, all the media reports mentioned the A-T (in connection with the fact that he had been an A-T hiker), and I wasn't familiar with the loop in question. And the way things are going, I still wouldn't be surprised if the A-T somehow gets the blame. (BB, did you notice that Bissell picked up your thread about champagne drawing yellow jackets? I never saw anyone mention that but you until he did.)

If he picked it up from me, he is not paying attention. I mentioned the yellow jacket as a fact, not a hypothetical. Yellow jackets are an issue on Katahdin. They are more so on the Helon Taylor Trail. Yellow jackets are a common issue in Maine. If Bissell learned it from me, he has poor sources. Climb that hill and look for them. They are there. People dumping anything but water there will attract them. That is the nature of that pest.

Edit: Just another thought. If Bissell starts quoting me, he will lose what little credibility he has left.

Now I am off to search the net to find someone that mentions jellow jackets on Katahdin before me.

Here is a post from 06/06/2010. Look at the bottom of the page. John Duffield mentions yellow jackets on the Helon Taylor Trail.
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/mt-washington-katahdin-in-summer-trekking-poles-t52455-15.html

lemon b
08-31-2015, 06:58
If they really want to keep The Big Lady Wild. Ban motor vehicles of any type. Make all the camp sites primitive LNT sites and enforce that rule.

peakbagger
08-31-2015, 07:20
Sorry Lemon B, Baxters vision included drive in car camping to established campgrounds. There was an attempt by a former park superintendent to turn Roaring Brook into a hike in campground and it was rejected as no in keeping with Baxter's wishes. The backcountry campgrounds are close to LNT (they do allow campfires at some locations).

Connie
08-31-2015, 12:05
It is not only Baxter, I have seen this at all parks: county, state, and national parks that want the income of car campers and RV's not so much but there are provisions for RV's.

The parks want the income.

The decision-makers seem to have no interest in preservation of wilderness, or, wilderness experience or hikers and tent-campers.

Hikers and tent-campers do not represent "conspicous consumption" or "spending money".

TJ aka Teej
08-31-2015, 12:33
Good work by all involved, including support folks.
The successful search area in a drainage was pinpointed by a BSP Ranger familiar with backcountry travel.
It is being said he had no map, no compass, no light, none of the oft-suggested essentials.

Traveler
08-31-2015, 13:25
It is not only Baxter, I have seen this at all parks: county, state, and national parks that want the income of car campers and RV's not so much but there are provisions for RV's.

The parks want the income.

The decision-makers seem to have no interest in preservation of wilderness, or, wilderness experience or hikers and tent-campers.

Hikers and tent-campers do not represent "conspicous consumption" or "spending money".

This is not a State owned Park and doesn't depend on fees for financial support. It is a private land trust open to the public under very specific conditions of use.

LoneStranger
08-31-2015, 14:56
Good work by all involved, including support folks.
The successful search area in a drainage was pinpointed by a BSP Ranger familiar with backcountry travel.
It is being said he had no map, no compass, no light, none of the oft-suggested essentials.

Yup, I had to laugh when I heard him quoted as saying he'd bring a map on all future trips. Would have been a lot easier to get unlost if he had some navigational aids. It sounds like he took the hard route.

peakbagger
08-31-2015, 20:59
Fort Mountain is a bushwhack at the middle of a very long day hike. There is a footbed but the woods are dense and thick, its easy to get turned around but the route is basically stay on top of the ridge between North Brother and Fort. A map and compass is all you really need.