PDA

View Full Version : Drug party near Kent AT

greenmtnboy
08-30-2015, 08:36
I set up my tent yesterday after dark near the A/T in Kent along the Housatonic River, the grass field on the dirt road that goes north from town and dead ends where the trail passes over. High end cars, lots of noise and definitely hard core drugs. I will be meeting with the state police this morning.

Bronk
08-30-2015, 08:56
If you camp next to a road you just might be at the local party place.

Pedaling Fool
08-30-2015, 08:58
How do you know there were "hard core drugs"? What are hard core drugs?

greenmtnboy
08-30-2015, 09:04
How do you know there were "hard core drugs"? What are hard core drugs?

Anything beyond marijuana. High end vehicles, weird noises all night, dealers talking about 400/oz stuff....Just do the math.

meat803
08-30-2015, 09:19
You subjected yourself to that situation by camping next to a road. As far as the drugs, were you in danger or harmed at any point? Let it go and hike on. Just some locals out having a good time. Learn from this and don't camp next to roads or other easily accessible spots where known city dwellers show up to party. This is understood on the entire AT from GA to ME.

Lone Wolf
08-30-2015, 09:30
I set up my tent yesterday after dark near the A/T in Kent along the Housatonic River, the grass field on the dirt road that goes north from town and dead ends where the trail passes over. High end cars, lots of noise and definitely hard core drugs. I will be meeting with the state police this morning.

and what do you think the police are gonna do after the fact?

Offshore
08-30-2015, 09:36
If its a local party spot, the police already know. And if it was more than users, is this really something you want to get involved with and put yourself in danger over? Hike on...

Slo-go'en
08-30-2015, 09:38
You were probably illegally camped. Isn't CT a "designated site only" state?

$400/oz sounds like the going price for good weed in a rich town like Kent. Mind your own business.

Traveler
08-30-2015, 10:37
Anything beyond marijuana. High end vehicles, weird noises all night, dealers talking about 400/oz stuff....Just do the math.

Lets see, rich town with several very exclusive private schools in and around it, a quiet and private cul de sac near on a river at the end of that road would explain the high end vehicles. Of course high end vehicles is a subjective thing, for one person that may mean Corvettes and Jags, to another it may mean Suburbans and new Jeeps, for another it could mean 8 year old Impalas. Cars do not define the nature of the people using them in Kent anymore than they do in rural Virginia or the streets of Des Moines.

How do you know these are drug dealers? Were you approached? Did anyone quote you goods/prices? Did you see works being used to heat the drugs and inject them? Do you presume when you see some pick up trucks parked around a dead end road area and people talking about moonshine that they are rum runners?

Thats a lot of speculation. State police along with local school security people have known of the cul de sac at the end of River Road for years. There are all kind of things going on at that location from rafts/canoes/kayaks being put into/removed from the river there and/or fishermen congregating around with some beer, to kids using the place as an impromptu meet up point to make some noise. Its mostly private land through that section of the AT so land owners may provide tacit approval of the cul de sac for these purposes and have the police run in periodically to be sure they are not terrorizing someone walking along the AT or illegally camped next to the parking area.

I presume to make these accusations you have some recorded information to pass on to LE, recordings of conversations, photos of drug bundles and money being exchanged, maybe some photos of the license plates. If you have that, then I have to side with your observation. If you don't, its speculation if not flight of fancy.

As an aside, most of CT is a designated camping area only on the AT and no open campfires are allowed. It may be best to observe those rules and avoid scurrilous drug dealers, pirates, and other scurvy dogs that go bump in the night. Argh.

greenmtnboy
08-30-2015, 11:50
The cops are there to differentiate between those who are breaking the major laws dealing drugs, using meth., heroin, cocaine, crack and indulging in destructive "recreational" activities that undermines the spirit and letter of the Appalachian Trail, I guess they figured the full moon and a Saturday night was the time for this. When I realized it was a serious hard core drug party, I could have called 911 immediately and if a trooper was available at that time, he could have confronted them and interdicted illegal drugs and the pushers who are the lowest of the low. I have zero tolerance for hard core drug use, have never seen it before having hiked well over 3000 miles. Let the authorities do their jobs especially with all the hikers living on shoe string budgets, good sincere honest people while these low lifes are spending huge amounts of money damaging their bodies. "High Watch" is not far away in Kent with recovering drug addicts and alcoholics having to spend $100s a day in rehab., and this is personal as I have seen too many people ruined with illegal drugs and alcohol. I hope the troopers do more oversight leaving alone harmless campers and hikers.

greenmtnboy
08-30-2015, 11:58
Here is a report form if people have evidence of serious drug activity or dealing: http://www.dea.gov/ops/submit.php

Kenai
08-30-2015, 13:02
I am sure the Feds will get right on that. Sounds like the prep school kids had some awesome Kush.

TD55
08-30-2015, 13:26
No wonder hikers have become so unpopular and even disliked along the AT. Strangers come into town and stick their noses into local business and try to cause trouble. What ever happened to "mind your own business and pass on through"? Calling the cops on locals for partying in the woods at a place the hiker probably shouldn't have even been camping sucks.

Sarcasm the elf
08-30-2015, 14:02
No wonder hikers have become so unpopular and even disliked along the AT. Strangers come into town and stick their noses into local business and try to cause trouble. What ever happened to "mind your own business and pass on through"? Calling the cops on locals for partying in the woods at a place the hiker probably shouldn't have even been camping sucks.

Yeah, I'm sure the local townspeople hate it when visitors call the police to report drug dealers.:rolleyes:

I can all but assure you that those kids weren't locals either, that area is a popular tourist destination for people that live in Connecticut and Southeastern New York, at best they might have been attending one of the high end boarding schools in the area.
Most of the people that live in that county are there because they just want to left alone, unfortunately the valley around the Housatonic river is too beautiful to not be visited. If someone helped to kick out 30 or so stoned teenagers from their woods they'd be fine with it.

saltysack
08-30-2015, 20:02
puff puff give....[emoji377]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
08-30-2015, 21:27

$400/oz sounds like the going price for good weed in a rich town like Kent. Mind your own business....could have been talkin' "Cuban fiber" at that price.

rocketsocks
08-30-2015, 21:29
...could have been talkin' "Cuban fiber" at that price.gram weenies no doubt.

Sarcasm the elf
08-30-2015, 21:39
gram weenies no doubt.

Alright, now that there was funny!

MuddyWaters
08-30-2015, 21:40
If you camp next to a road you just might be at the local party place.

Ive been miserable a couple times sleeping within half mile of roads. <br>
Its amazing the people out all night driving rural backroads, parking at trailheads, drinking, argueing loud walking up trail to do things.

I like to stay a mile from roads if possible.

And then you still have the car campers that walk in to shelters.

atmilkman
08-30-2015, 22:14
Oops. By the title of the thread I thought it was an invite. my bad.

tarantolk
08-30-2015, 23:13
Too funny!!! @ atmilkman

lemon b
08-30-2015, 23:18
Agree with Slo-go em MYOB Try to get along with local folks. If uncomfortable hike on.

colorado_rob
08-30-2015, 23:25
Anything beyond marijuana. High end vehicles, weird noises all night, dealers talking about 400/oz stuff....Just do the math.Hey Math Wiz, I'm sorry.... but isn't $400/oz just about what decent weed goes for????? Consider taking up a different hobby.... long distance hiking is full of such little "adventures", and you obviously don't have the right attitude for such.

BirdBrain
08-30-2015, 23:27
I think we should reroute the AT around that area if people are going to complain as AT hikers party. If the locals don't appreciate all that the entitled hiker has to offer, they should lose all the great benefits brought to those areas by said entitled hikers. Those areas will likely go bankrupt without all the great things being brought to them by hikers going through. I mean really! How does any good place survive without AT hikers?

Sarcasm alert. My post makes about as much sense as some of the other garbage I read posted about other areas that don't appreciate trouble makers.

rafe
08-30-2015, 23:49
Don't camp near roads. Pretty darn basic. Weed on the AT? Oh g*d please say it ain't so!

Dochartaigh
08-31-2015, 08:46
I'm still laughing to myself over the "hard drugs" that go for $400/oz...it's just so extremely naive. (no offense to the OP...it's good he doesn't know about such things...or watch TV or the news for that matter either I guess).

coach lou
08-31-2015, 10:25
I got to MT Algo shelter in winter once. Empty, but gear all over the place. Took my spot, then the local kids started to show. After some whispering, one kid came up to me and demanded that I leave because I was too old to be around the young kids. I chuckled at him, and he said they were going to carry on inspite of me.........fine Brenda! I the morning I woke their drunk hung over a$$es up. Told them when I was leaving...."if Brenda wasn't such a jerk, I might have shared!"

coach lou
08-31-2015, 10:36
Here are my drunk friends31810

Traffic Jam
08-31-2015, 10:44
Give him a break. There were vehicles present, I would have called too if people were leaving the party site and driving. Impaired drivers don't need to be on the road.

Moosling
08-31-2015, 11:55
Oops. By the title of the thread I thought it was an invite. my bad.

Me too haha

Gambit McCrae
08-31-2015, 12:57
I'm still laughing to myself over the "hard drugs" that go for $400/oz...it's just so extremely naive. (no offense to the OP...it's good he doesn't know about such things...or watch TV or the news for that matter either I guess).

lmao only good drugs going for 400/oz would be legal in many states nowadays...I expect this thread to be closed soon :cool:

RED-DOG
09-01-2015, 09:13
you need some cheese and crackers with that whine. live and let live.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-01-2015, 15:47
Why are so many people on here willing to push it all off on the locals?? There are "hikers" using hard core drugs on the trail and I know this having both been told by a "hiker" that they could hook me up and having been present in the area where the drugs were using used (in this instance acid) The users having warned the group of non-users after everyone had sent up camp for the night. Why does/should their right to party in a disruptive manner supersede my right to quietly enjoy the trail. As a solo female hiker I'm not comfortable confronting this situation nor would I have been comfortable hiking off into the night in order to escape them so I am not certain what the solution is. But from what I have heard they are some of the people involved in the situation that caused the place in Kent to get shut down recently. If I know this certainly others do as well.

shakey_snake
09-01-2015, 15:52

But...he needs to go talk to the cops in order to incriminate himself. :D

Dogwood
09-01-2015, 17:19

$400/oz sounds like the going price for good weed in a rich town like Kent. Mind your own business.

YUP! That's a weed price being verbalized...so I hear. :) I think you're way off base Greenmtboy jumping to incorrect asumptions especially on hard core drug use based on the limited info you shared.

QHShowoman
09-01-2015, 17:25
Lets see, rich town with several very exclusive private schools in and around it, a quiet and private cul de sac near on a river .

At the beginning of the school year, no less.

I blame it all on those roughneck kids from New Milford.

Sarcasm the elf
09-01-2015, 18:11
At the beginning of the school year, no less.

I blame it all on those roughneck kids from New Milford.

I thought those New Milford would be busy hanging out in Tory's Cave. :D

greenmtnboy
09-01-2015, 21:22
I didn't see any of the earmarks of a pot party; glowing pot cigs. and pipes, wafting pot smoke, coughing, etc.. I'm standing by my assessment that it was hard drugs; actually the state police asked me how did I know it was hard drugs? I said, what did you expect me to do confront the low lifes? And they said that was not your job to find out. I stayed in my tent, I did take down a bunch of plates and some pictures of the cars, and provided them to the cops. No I never used drugs myself; just saw too much wreckage from drug use. The whole scene of the druggies was weird, roughly 20 cars, initially I thought it was a group of hikers, then it dawned on me no way as I saw the coming and goings of those jokers. Of course the police are leery of doing raids, and people are hesitant to report this type of activity because of all the stigmas against whistleblowers.

Fredt4
09-01-2015, 21:55
I did take down a bunch of plates and some pictures of the cars, and provided them to the cops. You earlier stated that "there were high end cars as evidence of drugs. Truth is high end or not that's not evidence of drugs. Then you're taking down tags. Wow, you're clearly in over your head. Not questioning your right to do so, just questioning the wisdom to do so.

TNhiker
09-01-2015, 22:15
I didn't see any of the earmarks of a pot party; glowing pot cigs. and pipes, wafting pot smoke, coughing, etc.. I'm standing by my assessment that it was hard drugs;

and by your "assessment"----what other evidence of any drug use did you see?

sounds like the only illegal thing that was going on was your camping there...............

Kenai
09-01-2015, 23:24
I didn't see any of the earmarks of a pot party; glowing pot cigs. and pipes, wafting pot smoke, coughing, etc.. I'm standing by my assessment that it was hard drugs; actually the state police asked me how did I know it was hard drugs? I said, what did you expect me to do confront the low lifes? And they said that was not your job to find out. I stayed in my tent, I did take down a bunch of plates and some pictures of the cars, and provided them to the cops. No I never used drugs myself; just saw too much wreckage from drug use. The whole scene of the druggies was weird, roughly 20 cars, initially I thought it was a group of hikers, then it dawned on me no way as I saw the coming and goings of those jokers. Of course the police are leery of doing raids, and people are hesitant to report this type of activity because of all the stigmas against whistleblowers.

Hey green, what you saw was a bunch of rich preppie kids having a party. Back in the 70's I went to one of those schools, and actually played football, wrestling, and lacrosse, against that school, that is just across the river from where you were camping. I was not a rich kid, but most of them are. They live an entitled lifestyle. From what you have posted, not much has changed in close to 40 years. I too have seen the stark results of substance abuse, and have been to more funerals of dear friends that I can stomach. I understand that you feel that you have a personal stake in this, but sometimes it is better to pick your battles. It sounds like you were really not on the AT, so is this more of a personal agenda, about substance abuse?
Maybe a better idea to focus on your hike, and focus your angst against substance abuse when you get back home?
You can do a lot more back home, where you will be in much more control of the situation.

Offshore
09-02-2015, 07:34
Why are so many people on here willing to push it all off on the locals?? There are "hikers" using hard core drugs on the trail and I know this having both been told by a "hiker" that they could hook me up and having been present in the area where the drugs were using used (in this instance acid) The users having warned the group of non-users after everyone had sent up camp for the night. Why does/should their right to party in a disruptive manner supersede my right to quietly enjoy the trail. As a solo female hiker I'm not comfortable confronting this situation nor would I have been comfortable hiking off into the night in order to escape them so I am not certain what the solution is. But from what I have heard they are some of the people involved in the situation that caused the place in Kent to get shut down recently. If I know this certainly others do as well.

In this particular case, they were the locals. OP was "near the AT" and was illegally camping near the river. The group he was complaining about had "high-end" cars and were at the end of a road. There is no way of telling if the were locals or not, but they were not hikers. As far as hikers, drug use and bad behavior on the AT, that's a whole different and much bigger question, but is not related to the original post. I think many people lull themselves into thinking that just because someone is a hiker - thru, section, or day - they are therefore a great person, behave well, and maybe even be a new best friend. The AT is not magic. Take a miscreant and put them on a trail and all you have is a miscreant in the woods. You can't check your common sense, pragmatism, and realistic expectations of human behavior at the trail head.

greenmtnboy
09-02-2015, 08:55
and by your "assessment"----what other evidence of any drug use did you see?

sounds like the only illegal thing that was going on was your camping there...............

Off the charts legalistic nitpicking to try to compare my pitching a tent to get night's rest and an all night party. The drug group was camping out on the Housatonic, large group, no recreational outdoors intentions they could have just as easily rented a hotel/motel room instead of desecrating areas and the intent of those areas for real recreation.

Offshore
09-02-2015, 09:44
Off the charts legalistic nitpicking to try to compare my pitching a tent to get night's rest and an all night party. The drug group was camping out on the Housatonic, large group, no recreational outdoors intentions they could have just as easily rented a hotel/motel room instead of desecrating areas and the intent of those areas for real recreation.

How is it up to you to decide what someone's "recreational outdoor intentions" are, much less if they are acceptable? You could have just as easily moved on to a legal campsite. But despite being disturbed by the goings-on, you made a decision to stay and are now complaining about the (predictable) outcome of your decision. What's approaching off-the-charts is the self-righteousness and victimhood.

Dochartaigh
09-02-2015, 09:44
they could have just as easily rented a hotel/motel room instead of desecrating areas and the intent of those areas for real recreation.

And you could have just as easily moved on to another [illegal or legal] camping spot and not taken the extremely drastic actions of taking down license plate numbers, taking photos, alerting the police...then you even spent more time bitching about it on a public forum. I really sincerely hope you can find something else more productive to spend your time on.

Dochartaigh
09-02-2015, 09:45
Dammit! Offshore beat me to the punch by mere seconds! (sorry for the double post ;)

Offshore
09-02-2015, 09:53
Dammit! Offshore beat me to the punch by mere seconds! (sorry for the double post ;)

They're synergistic!

Gambit McCrae
09-02-2015, 10:40
Has Officer Fife gone to investigate this drug party yet?

TNhiker
09-02-2015, 10:53

again----you could have camped somewhere else............somewhere legal.................but you chose to be a criminal as well.................

and again----what proof do you have that any drugs were consumed?

show us some proof..........

or, camp somewhere else..............

greenmtnboy
09-02-2015, 11:38
again----you could have camped somewhere else............somewhere legal.................but you chose to be a criminal as well.................

Criminal? What kind of inhuman perspective makes setting up a tent in a wasteland and leaving no trace a "crime"? I can guarantee you that whatever those laws are concerning setting up tents at sunset in wasteland areas and folding it up in the morning are minor....

I just hope the authorities get more vigilant in checking on real law breaking that damages people's bodies and leads to incalculable financial burdens on society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_Substances_Act

Offshore
09-02-2015, 11:58
Criminal? What kind of inhuman perspective makes setting up a tent in a wasteland and leaving no trace a "crime"? I can guarantee you that whatever those laws are concerning setting up tents at sunset in wasteland areas and folding it up in the morning are minor....

I just hope the authorities get more vigilant in checking on real law breaking that damages people's bodies and leads to incalculable financial burdens on society.

Perspective has nothing to do with it. It's just a matter of laws - specifically, the camping in designated areas only laws/regulations. If your real issue is an objection that drug laws are under-enforced, this is not the board for that topic. (Although you have produced no evidence of actual illegal substance use in your tale of woe).

Sarcasm the elf
09-02-2015, 12:15

As far as I'm aware, simple tresspass is a civil offense, not a criminal offense.

Also, just to nitpick: It is inappropriate to assume that camping is illegal simply because the AMC put up a "designated campsites only sign." The AMC does their best to give us guidelines so that we can do things the right way but whether or not camping is technically legal depends on the specific property on which a person decides to set up their tent and that property owner's wishes. There have been cases over the years of people getting ticketed for illegal camping in that area which were then dismissed because the law did not apply to the exact location they camped at. Was anyone in this story camping ilegally? I don't know, but I doubt that any of the others posting have enough information to make that determination either.

coach lou
09-02-2015, 12:23
31868I love these stories!

Gambit McCrae
09-02-2015, 12:50
party on!!!!

dr.rock
09-02-2015, 13:01
Tory's cave??

dr.rock
09-02-2015, 13:05
I thought those New Milford would be busy hanging out in Tory's Cave. :D

Tory's cave??

greenmtnboy
09-02-2015, 13:05
Tory's cave??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tory_cave_(New_Milford,_Connecticut)

Also I try to keep my perspective and may have been somewhat shrill on this.

Sarcasm the elf
09-02-2015, 13:10
Tory's cave??

http://berkshirehiking.com/hikes/torys_cave.html

Dogwood
09-02-2015, 13:22
I've seen quite enough evidence of illicit hard core drug use. I'm well aware of the signs, well beyond what has been assumed here. NO, absolutely NOT, are there severe amounts of rampant illegal hard core drug use on the AT anywhere I'm aware of. Maybe some very minimal psychedelic use(mushrooms, liquid acid, blotter, etc) on the PCT but nothing rampant or hard core drugs like meth, coke, Ex, etc use on the AT. What I see is evidence of weed use. That's by and far the most hard core, IF you call it that, of the illicit street drug use among hikers AND that's assuming you are not in state that has legalized or defelonized small amounts of marijuana for personal consumption. Much more prevalent is the legal drug use of alcohol at trail towns, and a bit on the trail, caffeine(coffee), OTC pain meds(like Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen, aspirin, Naproxin, etc), etc.

dr.rock
09-02-2015, 13:29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tory_cave_(New_Milford,_Connecticut)

Also I try to keep my perspective and may have been somewhat shrill on this.

thanks you and keep doing your thing

dr.rock
09-02-2015, 13:35
http://berkshirehiking.com/hikes/torys_cave.html

thanks
this suck and love it this is true

JumpMaster Blaster
09-02-2015, 20:31
I would have either ignored it or moved on further up the trail. One thing you have to understand is "townies" don't use the trail for hiking, they use trailheads and close shelters & campsites for partying. Never camp within a mile of a road (especially a major highway crossing/especialy on a weekend) UNLESS you're willing to deal with partiers and other riff-raff. It's good horse sense.

rengler22
09-03-2015, 10:00
thanks
this suck and love it this is true

Couldn't have said it better myself.

TNhiker
09-03-2015, 16:30

and by this----you mean alcohol and tobacco, right?

cause those two do far worse damage to people and society than your little "pot party" that may or may not have taken place next to your illegal pitched tent...................

Monkeywrench
09-03-2015, 17:29
...could have been talkin' "Cuban fiber" at that price.

Except it's Cuben, not Cuban.

rafe
09-03-2015, 17:33

If I had a dollar for every time I've seen that one misspelled. :rolleyes:

TNhiker
09-03-2015, 18:49
If I had a dollar for every time I've seen that one misspelled. :rolleyes:

you could afford the drugs talked about in this thread?

rocketsocks
09-03-2015, 18:59
alrighty then, thanks.

greenmtnboy
07-31-2016, 19:58
I went my the open area where the drug party was last year on the class III or class IV access road that the AT goes down, looks like the authorities decided to block off the entrance to cars, etc..35638 A truck was parked anyway. 35639

But it still did not stop weekend party activity as there was a truck parked across the road and then when I went to where they were having the party last year there were guys partying below near the Housatonic.

Sarcasm the elf
07-31-2016, 20:29
I went my the open area where the drug party was last year on the class III or class IV access road that the AT goes down, looks like the authorities decided to block off the entrance to cars, etc..35638 A truck was parked anyway. 35639

But it still did not stop weekend party activity as there was a truck parked across the road and then when I went to where they were having the party last year there were guys partying below near the Housatonic.

So can we still have drug parties there? :eek:

PD230SOI
07-31-2016, 21:37
Was this near Kent School by any chance? This would be their normal MO.

egilbe
08-01-2016, 05:56
That pickup doesnt look like a "high-end" vehicle.