PDA

View Full Version : water treatment

neo
11-28-2005, 10:19
this weekend i made a switch from polar pure iodine solution water treatment to aqua mira,our water tasted great,i could not taste any chemical taste,what is safer aqua mira or polar pure,and which is more effective,aqua mira is easy to use,not much difference in price and taste much better,just wonder wich is safer and more efffective:cool: neo

MacGyver2005
11-28-2005, 10:50
Well, Aqua Mira does not have the suggested side-affects that Iodine does.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Seeker
11-28-2005, 11:26
for whatever this is worth... i've read somewhere that short term use of iodine (defined as 6 months) is ok, but longer than that isn't recommended. the chemical in aqua mira is used by many municipal water suppliers on a daily basis.for me, the choice was obvious, and i gave up my filter three years ago...

neo
11-28-2005, 16:00
for whatever this is worth... i've read somewhere that short term use of iodine (defined as 6 months) is ok, but longer than that isn't recommended. the chemical in aqua mira is used by many municipal water suppliers on a daily basis.for me, the choice was obvious, and i gave up my filter three years ago...

thanks for the info,thats all i needed to hear is that the stuff really works and you use it instead of a filter,very cool:cool: neo

Seeker
11-28-2005, 17:27
thanks for the info,thats all i needed to hear is that the stuff really works and you use it instead of a filter,very cool:cool: neo
yes... i'm just sorry i spent so much money on a filter i no longer use... oh well... 'experience', i think that's called... but yes, it works well... the only 'negative' is that you have to wait for the chemicals to work... but one of the things i go to the woods to do is get away from 'time'... (i don't normally wear a watch anyway, and only carry one in my pack so i can remember what day it is.) so i'm never in that big a hurry... same philosophy behind the alcohol stove... slower, yes. but it's nice and quiet... aahhh....

neo
11-29-2005, 16:50
i will continue using aqua mira then:cool: neo

orangebug
11-29-2005, 22:18
Damn, but mountain fresh spring water sure tastes good!

littlelaurel59
11-29-2005, 23:37
My son did a school science project a few years back comparing different types of water treatment. He took rather stagnant creek water, treated it using various methods, then cultured it for bacteria. Iodine tablets (Potable Aqua) did virtually nothing to reduce bacteria (less effective than a paper coffee filter). Aqua Mira worked the best of chemical treatments. A ceramic filter removed all bacteria.

Interesting experiment. He learned to think about the quality of his water source.

neo
11-30-2005, 10:04
My son did a school science project a few years back comparing different types of water treatment. He took rather stagnant creek water, treated it using various methods, then cultured it for bacteria. Iodine tablets (Potable Aqua) did virtually nothing to reduce bacteria (less effective than a paper coffee filter). Aqua Mira worked the best of chemical treatments. A ceramic filter removed all bacteria.

Interesting experiment. He learned to think about the quality of his water source.

wow that means i am immune to yuky untreated water then lol,i have been using polar pure for years:cool: neo

HarleyHogPit
11-30-2005, 13:21
Does anyone use a couple drops of bleach to treat the water? Is that safe?

the goat
11-30-2005, 13:29
Does anyone use a couple drops of bleach to treat the water? Is that safe?

i don't myself, but i've hiked with people that completed an entire thru using nothing but bleach and neither got sick. they're both doctors too.

K-Man
11-30-2005, 14:12
Does anyone have any experience with the SteriPEN? Here is a link to their website: http://www.hydro-photon.com/. Seems like a pretty easy solution to treating water and the battery life isn't too shabby either.

Marta
11-30-2005, 14:30
Does anyone have any experience with the SteriPEN? Here is a link to their website: http://www.hydro-photon.com/. Seems like a pretty easy solution to treating water and the battery life isn't too shabby either.

I did a short overnight hike with a guy who was carrying one. He had constant trouble with it and ended up using Aqua Mira. Nice idea, but...

justusryans
11-30-2005, 14:53
I use one, have never had a problem with it. you do have to use either NimH rechargables or Lithium Batteries though, to get the most bang for your buck. They have a 1 year warranty, so if you're concerned then buy it about a month before your thru-hike. That will give you time to get familiar with it.

littlelaurel59
11-30-2005, 15:44
I imagine you are careful about your water sources. You probably wouldn't choose the stagnant creek behind our house. A spring with a good flow is less likey to be a problem.

Fortunately, most bacteria mind their own business and colonize, rather than infect us.