PDA

View Full Version : More bad publicity

winger
08-30-2015, 11:58
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/30/hikers-behaving-badly-appalachian-trail-partying-raises-ire/?intcmp=hpbt3

rotorbrent
08-30-2015, 12:17
yup just saw it as well.

DavidNH
08-30-2015, 14:36
sad. This trail was too crowded in 2006. I can't imagine now. And then after Walk in the Woods hits the screens...

The fact is.. then and even more now I bet.. a good chunk of thru hikers don't give a damn about the wilderness.. they just want challenge, a long party, and frequent access to alcohol.

greenmtnboy
08-30-2015, 15:44
I didn't see the partying on the trail except for a little overconsumption of beer from time to time by the younger set, 10 or so years ago when I hiked it, and never saw problem drinking on the Long Trail which I hiked 4 times. If this is a growing problem then hopefully they can develop some rules, like three strikes, etc.. Baxter State is an exception with tougher rules and education and helping people learn the strict rules may solve some of the issues. But I have seen a certain amount of paranoia by law enforcement due to shadowy fears, "threats", etc.. In Boy Scouts we learned about roughing it, not being soft, and trying to behave as an example to others in line with the boy scout code. Military people understand that very well too. Lines should be drawn on minor offenses and major ones with enough education to hopefully get people in line and give them healthy options.

TurtleTracker
08-30-2015, 23:28
This really kind of scares me and maybe it's just because it keeps popping up this year. I've been actively planning to attempt a thru since 2014 (So either 2016 or 2017 for me). As a 27 year old guy, I really don't mind people out there having some fun, but I would really like to see some maturity and especially some respect for Baxter. I don't think the trail would be the same without Katahdin. I feel like now people will just look at me and think I'm just out there because I saw Wild or A Walk in the Woods and that it's not a dream of mine to be out there.

To anyone reading that's currently hiking or will be hiking, please don't ruin it for future hikers! To those who are active in the hiking community, please don't rush to judge those of us that are new...we're not all part of the problem.

BirdBrain
08-30-2015, 23:41
This is not a battle over areas. This is a battle over attitude. The areas will remain. The attitude will be expelled (businesses and towns are already saying enough is enough). The entitled believe it is better to retain their "right" to do as they please wherever they please and if any authority, owner, or steward feels otherwise, then that is an area worth sacrificing. It will be interesting to watch as the trail is chopped up. But hey. In their eyes it is worth fighting for such freedom.

Traveler
08-31-2015, 06:15
Its not a difficult issue here. Understanding the rules of BSP before going in, and actually abiding by them, is all one needs to do. Anything less is not in the best interests of the AT or those who enjoy its use.

peakbagger
08-31-2015, 07:16
Does anyone think that there is a coincidence that this is all coming out a week before a Walks in the Woods is coming out?

greenmtnboy
08-31-2015, 08:38
I've heard it all; people falling in love with the A/T talking about giving it all up to live on the trail. The movie will do nothing for the conservationists IMO except to further the fortunes of the producers and profiteers, sensationalizing what should be a spiritual and healthy experience into a parody of hiking. I generally boycott anything coming out of Hollywood as everything it produces is an assault on the integrity of the mind and holistic living. What is needed is balance, sensible and sane discussions of issues relevant to day to day human needs, not emotionalism.

Starchild
08-31-2015, 08:43
Saw a sign today about BSP rules on the AT in MA.

BirdBrain
08-31-2015, 08:57
Saw a sign today about BSP rules on the AT in MA.

You could tattoo the rules on their bodies and it would not change anything in the mind of those that want to do as they please.

CoolBobby
08-31-2015, 09:07
I hate to say it, being that I am LEO, but maybe the NPS needs to start policing the trail with Park Rangers. It's a shame...Or maybe a grassroots "shaming" of bad behavior. Maybe a blog of morons ruining it for the rest of us. Maybe we can police ourselves.

Just a Monday morning thought...

BirdBrain
08-31-2015, 09:16
Maybe we can police ourselves.

That is the solution. Any other solution ends with a show of strength. We ought to be able to police ourselves. Sadly, many with a vested interest (an intent to violate) are more interested in defending the indefensible based in part because of horrible mouth piece (Bissell).

LittleRock
08-31-2015, 09:32
I just hope I can finish section-hiking the trail before the thru-hikers ruin it for everyone.

Traveler
08-31-2015, 11:30
I hate to say it, being that I am LEO, but maybe the NPS needs to start policing the trail with Park Rangers. It's a shame...Or maybe a grassroots "shaming" of bad behavior. Maybe a blog of morons ruining it for the rest of us. Maybe we can police ourselves.

I have been a proponent of self policing the trail for a long time. In most of the instances of people doing things poorly its a case of ignorance, which is easily cured. Its stupid that tends to be forever and for that, a Village is needed to curb behaviors.